Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
Yup it is, just checked. I thought of that when I suggested to run it in reverse but didn't check. Sorry.

Just saw some solar panels, for 5 watts you've got a unit that's about 8" x 8" and roughly $30.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
As an FYI, the fan draws 1.94A @ 12VDC. Running it at one of its lower speed settings doesn't reduce the current draw, it divides it between the blower motor and large resistors (A.K.A. heaters) to make the motor spin at lower speeds. So, theoretically, a 24W solar panel could run it, but more realistically, you'd need a 50W one, as the ratings are based on perfect conditions. You'd also need an appropriately rated diode to prevent the battery from back feeding the solar panel when the ignition is on.

I really don't think that this would be very effective though, as the air intake is the black plastic wiper cowling, which would do a good job of heating the relatively slow flow of air into the car. Also, unless you left your windows partially open, the hot air wouldn't escape from the car.

Having a moon roof on my Yaris (and a sun roof on my Xterra), I would have to say that a roof opening is by far the best way to let some of the heat out of a parked car.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #21
rytis

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatchback 5dr
I bought a windshield solar reflector (which specially fits the Yaris's windshield) and it seems to do a pretty good job, so I lost some motivation for this solar powered ventilation idea.

Thanks for all the info.

I'm wondering, so when I'm using the fan, it has the same power draw no matter which 1-4 speed I use?
Wouldn't it be possible to connect those 5 watts of power directly to the fan, and not having it pass through those large resistors (A.K.A. heaters)?
rytis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #22
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
If the fan is set on 4 then it bypasses the resistors, if it's set any lower then (other than 0) it uses the resistors to limit the speed. You could bypass the normal circuitry using a relay or something, in fact you probably should.

Here is a solar powered vent, you could drill a big hole in the roof and pop one of those in. It would be easier and the extra chrome would look pretty slick!