Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2016, 02:20 AM   #1
bairjo

3M Clear Bra Install

I did a video of the installation of the 3M Clear Bra on my 2010. This really is not a DIY or "how to" video....my intension was to show you what is involved when doing this in an effort to help anyone considering this install.

I have had critics of my other videos complain about the boring music I have used....well, you may want to mute this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw7WGLzaAxk
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
bairjo

Here are some older photos from when I used the bulk roll of the film to cover the entire hood, with just a little in the back corners that didn't get covered. See the arrow in the photo. I used the leftovers to do the fenders and edges of the door.

1b.jpg

2.JPG

11.JPG
Old 01-10-2016, 02:38 AM   #4
bairjo

Well now, what a dud of a thread this turned out to be. Based on the lack of conversation here, the fear of the low quality Yaris paint must be unfounded. Otherwise I thought there would be some questions here on how to preserve ones Yaris paint like I have done the last 95,000 miles without a blemish. Really folks, it won't be another month till someone is on here is chirping about "how to fix stone chips" in their paint...Prevention is the answer man...but what do I know...it may be better to collect a bunch of chips and have it repainted for the same cost of prevention.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I like the idea of protecting the hood as it is prone to damage.

I just use paint sealant 3x a year and always use a touch up pen to fill in any paint chips on the hood. For the bumper, it's plastic so i'm not concerned sinc it can't rust.

I figured by the time my hood is damaged enough an starts to rust (if it ever does) an '08 Yaris hood would be easy to find at a scrapyard and i'll just get it painted and install it on my car.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I like the idea of protecting the hood as it is prone to damage.

I figured by the time my hood is damaged enough an starts to rust (if it ever does) an '08 Yaris hood would be easy to find at a scrapyard and i'll just get it painted and install it on my car.

I guess it is a pay me now or pay me later kinda thing. I prefer to do the pay me now and always have the car looking like the day I bought it, rather than let it get increasing speckled and still end up paying for someone else's chipped up used hood which most likely won't match. But I can see your point...
Old 01-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I guess it is a pay me now or pay me later kinda thing. I prefer to do the pay me now and always have the car looking like the day I bought it, rather than let it get increasing speckled and still end up paying for someone else's chipped up used hood which most likely won't match. But I can see your point...
I tend to go with that train of thought with almost every part on my car as I agree, being proactive is better than reactive and usually cheaper.

That being said, based on how my hood is looking after the 4 years I've had it I can honestly say that even though I want to make it a 20 year car I don't think it'll rust out on the hood. I get it Krown'd every spring and am constantly checking the paint and protecting it.

It may be a gamble and like you said could cost me more down the road, but for now I've been able to put my cash into fun filled smile parts which has me loving my car every time I get in it. And by then I may even splurge for a carbon fibre hood, we'll have to see...

btw, where'd you purchase the 3m vinyl from and was it Yaris specific?
Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
bairjo

There are a number of suppliers for the 3M. I purchased the 24" bulk roll about 5 years ago for the hood from a supplier called Cleardefender at the time. And for the bumper I purchased a pre cut pattern. I did it over a year ago after my bumper was replaced from an accident and don't recall who I ended up buying from. I'm actually at work right now so I can't look it up. However, I just priced them all out on line. There is no way you could do the bumper with the bulk roll material.....even the pro installers don't do that.

Carbon fiber hood?...now that does sound sweet...