Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
wng-2

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch back
Tire Choice

Any recommendations for high quality all season for my 08? My wife drives this car 350 miles round trip to care for parents every other week. I willing to spend the money on something decent. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
If I were living in Berwick, Maine (and my wife was driving the car that much), I'd definitely install 4 snow tyres for the winter season.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
wng-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
If I were living in Berwick, Maine (and my wife was driving the car that much), I'd definitely install 4 snow tyres for the winter season.
That's a good idea, that I thought of. I also considered that the Yaris isn't much of a snow vehicle. We don't use it in bad weather. I think an all season would be best for this car and the miles she puts on. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
The Yaris isn't bad at all in snow, given the right tires. Lots of Canadians on this board will tell you that. The problem with all season tires of that their rubber composition goes hard in the cold and loses grip, even when there's no snow. You might instead go for a set of All Weather ties, which will genuinely handle cold and snow, as well as summer weather. I had a set of Nokian all weathers on my previous car and had no complaints.

Sent from my phone with Tapatalk. Please excuse any typpos.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
wng-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
The Yaris isn't bad at all in snow, given the right tires. Lots of Canadians on this board will tell you that. The problem with all season tires of that their rubber composition goes hard in the cold and loses grip, even when there's no snow. You might instead go for a set of All Weather ties, which will genuinely handle cold and snow, as well as summer weather. I had a set of Nokian all weathers on my previous car and had no complaints.

Interesting, I wasn't aware there was such a thing as all weather. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

http://blog.dcag.ca/2015/09/whats-th...-summer-tires/

All-season Tires

First things first: despite their name, all-season tires are not optimal for all four seasons. In fact, many in the automotive industry have started calling these tires “3-season tires” because they’re really only best for the spring, summer, and fall. In other words, all-season tires are not suitable alternatives for winter tires, mainly because they begin to harden and lose their grip as soon as temperatures fall below 10 degrees C.
Don’t recycle your all-seasons just yet. The loss of traction in colder weather isn’t the result of sloppy craftsmanship, but because all-seasons are made with a tread compound designed to deliver good traction under most driving conditions, like dry, muddy, rainy, or even snowy streets, as long as the temperature doesn’t dip too low.
All-seasons are essentially meant to offer you most of the benefits of summer and winter tires rolled into one. They also tend to be quiet, durable, and fuel-efficient, which is probably why most new vehicles leave the factory with them. Unfortunately, the process of creating a tire that works adequately in most conditions requires compromise, and all-seasons can’t provide the grip and tight handling of summer tires or the superior traction and safety provided by winter tires during heavy snowfall, ice, or sub-zero temperatures.
The Bottom Line: All-seasons are versatile tires that are great for use in moderate temperatures. Depending on your driving style and vehicle, you can probably use all-seasons during the summer, but if you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow and cold weather, all-seasons can’t replace winter tires.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

This is a good all-weather tyre that may interest you:

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/

Type your zip code in this link and you'll find a bunch of retailers near you:

https://www.nokiantires.com/where-to...ealer-locator/
Old 02-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
tarkus

Those are what I was previously using.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
all-weather, all-season
2 different thinks....
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:56 AM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
get proper winter tires for winter
Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The Canadian exclusive Handbook Optimization 4S is an alternative to "all-season" tires. I would still get proper winter tires.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
tarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
all-weather, all-season
2 different thinks....
Two different technologies. One of them not really safe in winter.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
either way you should look at general tires. Their winter tires are awesome, I ran them on my brz and they were great, and I run the all season on the Yaris and I am impressed with the grip both in the dry and wet, much better than the yokohama's I had before.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #14
chrisgblues

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I can honestly say that a Yaris is great in the snow in spite of it's size (or perhaps due to it's size?). I also drive a GM minivan which is much heavier and does not handle nearly as well as the Yaris does in snow. I actually enjoy winter driving with the Yaris.
The key is to have proper winter tires, I am using Toyo Observe winter tires and it gets me through the worst of Canadian winters. All-season tires are a joke in the winter because the low temperature makes the rubber compounds too hard and they don't grip on ice or snow...trust me I know.
Also, a lot of people will cheap out and only put 2 winter tires on the front, don't do this...mismatched tires will increase the likelihood of fishtailing around corners.
Also, put the winter tires on as soon as the temperature stays reliably below 7 degrees celcius (or 44 Farenheit). Where I'm from, this happens around the first week of November.
JMHO. YMMV.
chrisgblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #15
wng-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgblues View Post
I can honestly say that a Yaris is great in the snow in spite of it's size (or perhaps due to it's size?). I also drive a GM minivan which is much heavier and does not handle nearly as well as the Yaris does in snow. I actually enjoy winter driving with the Yaris.
The key is to have proper winter tires, I am using Toyo Observe winter tires and it gets me through the worst of Canadian winters. All-season tires are a joke in the winter because the low temperature makes the rubber compounds too hard and they don't grip on ice or snow...trust me I know.
Also, a lot of people will cheap out and only put 2 winter tires on the front, don't do this...mismatched tires will increase the likelihood of fishtailing around corners.
Also, put the winter tires on as soon as the temperature stays reliably below 7 degrees celcius (or 44 Farenheit). Where I'm from, this happens around the first week of November.
JMHO. YMMV.
Thanks, after thinking about it, I decided on Michelin Defenders. We don't need to use the vehicle in the snow, as my wife is retired. I can use my truck in bad weather. Hopefully these tires will serve us well for all the highway driving my wife has to do.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #16
kimona
Super Moderator

I've had Michelin Defenders on my Camry for about a year now... and I have no complaints.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #17
thelintonwyrm

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS, 2dr. 5spd. HB
Hi, WNG-2.
I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. We can get 3-4 feet of wet or dry snow. It stays for 6 months. We get an incredible amount of black ice, and just plain old thick slippery ice. In different temperatures ice can have a much different surface, from uncontrolable even sticky.

I've had my 2008 Yaris 2dr. RS out on the Red River, and kept a consitent 60kms/hr. I use Nokian Hakkapelliita 185-60r15 on steel wheels. They are studded. On road, snow, rain, and ice they have Incredible winter performance.

The first people in the ditch are the 4x4 trucks and urban cowboys in suv's thinking they can scream along on 22" wide truck tires. NOT! The Yaris is great in cold climate.

As for a good 3 season performer i suggest you check out Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 in 185 60r15.

Now that I can't get the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 185 60r15 (except from toyota at an outragous price) I have opted for Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 in 185 60r15. These are the only equal to the Factory Bridgestones. The Nokians are quieter and more agressive in the corners. I think i get a lot more wheel spin on them how ever. The recovery rate on spin would be 20% less that the Bridgestone Potenza.

The nokians are amazing in the rain, we get massive Thunderstorms here in the spring and summer, and i've held my yaris confidently at 100Kms/hr. with no hydro-plane. ...and if your from Manitoba you would know the roads suck here. Massive ruts from tucking, limestone compacted concrete feels like washboard gravel filled with pot holes that could swallow a small town.

Ive tried putting a variety of different sizes of tires on the factory alloys, and no matter what i did, widen the tread to a 205, or 195. Drop a series 60 to 55 to 50 series, the 185 60 still out performed any of the others. (My car retains stock ride height)

My car has been modified with CAI, 4-2-1 header, full custom made 2" SS exhaust, hi flow cat's, and hi flow Borla Muffler. that may be the cause of a little more wheel spin (even on the dryest of days)

Good luck with your search.
Cheers
Rob
thelintonwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #18
soldiersvejk

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I live in New England.
Just put on four brand new Michelin. Runs like a dream. Super quiet.
Like Ericthecarguy said, tire is probably the most rewarding investment you make on a car.
Each tire cost me less than $70 with a deal.
soldiersvejk is offline   Reply With Quote