Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Clear Coat Separation

This my problem, a black 2008 Toyota Yaris with crappy paint.

It is parked outside and while I tried to keep it waxed, it was subjected to the brutal southcentral Texas heat and sun over the past seven years...

I am not sure it can be fixed without a full respray.

Honestly, while I don't like it; I can't afford to put several thousand dollars into an economy car for a problem that's purely cosmetic. However, it only has 33K miles on it and is pristine on the inside.

I don't plan on selling it or trading it in anytime soon (if ever), but I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue, and if there may be any other options on fixing the problem.

Cheers! M2
Old 08-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you look around on here you will see a few other threads about it. It seems more prevalent with the blue ones, but yours looks to be as bad or worse than any I have seen.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
MadMax

Yeah, the Texas heat will do that!

Any thoughts on plastic dipping? A local shop did this, I thought about checking it out...

Old 08-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Plastidip would definitely be an option.

A buddy of mine who is a body shop paint guy said that another option is to buff the clear off the entire car and then either reshoot it with a better clear, or just wax the heck out of the base coat. Clear separation like this is due to a process problem or incompatibility between the paint pigments and the clear coat. It is very reminiscent of the issue that GM had with paint flaking off the primer on the light green and blue colored late 70's cars.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
My roof looks exactly the same! Very disappointing considering my car looks like new otherwise.

Back in the day of single stage paint, this wouldn't be an issue.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
MadMax

Any thoughts on how to address it?
Old 08-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I've checked with several shops about buffing off the clear coat, but was told it couldn't be done. Seems a complete respray is the only option... which is far too expensive.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #8
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
I have the same problem with my 07 blazing blue the entire roof peeled and the hood is starting including some spots on the upper sides. Frankly after the answer i got from toyota i hope they die in pools of their the own blood. That being said my plan is to plasti dip fairly soon, i have been spraying samples with pearls to try get a really nice blue with some pop to it.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #9
paulge3

Drives: '11 Yaris
Plastidip is an inexpensive method but won't provide a long term solution.
paulge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #10
bladesmith6

true but considering they want $3000 for a paint job(at least around here) versus $250 in plasti dip supplies and it is supposed to last 2-3 years each time you coat it is an economical alternative to the rape that body shops commit.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:31 AM   #11
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
This my problem, a black 2008 Toyota Yaris with crappy paint.

It is parked outside and while I tried to keep it waxed, it was subjected to the brutal southcentral Texas heat and sun over the past seven years...

I am not sure it can be fixed without a full respray.

Honestly, while I don't like it; I can't afford to put several thousand dollars into an economy car for a problem that's purely cosmetic. However, it only has 33K miles on it and is pristine on the inside.

I don't plan on selling it or trading it in anytime soon (if ever), but I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue, and if there may be any other options on fixing the problem.

Cheers! M2
My 07 Blazing Blue Yaris is doing the same thing, though not as bad as yours, eventually it will get worst. Unfortunately, the only way to fix it properly is to sand the affected areas all the way down to metal then reseal with a good sealer primer and repaint. If you try to just reclear, it won't stay long, as the damage to the base from the elements has already been done. I plan on repainting mine soon, just have to find the time to do it, as my car is my daily driver. I've got the equipment and knowledge to do it myself, so all I will have is material cost invested.

Thumbs down to Toyota for cutting corners and using cheap paint on our cars.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:19 AM   #12
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave, but I'm looking to buy a Yaris hatchback of the 07-11 years and many of the ones I've seen have this type of problem.

One shop said they could buff out and blend one area of extreme fading/clear coat separation, but I'd be worried that it would eventually happen to the rest of the car.

Has anyone here bit the bullet and paid for a whole repainting of the car to fix the problem? I'd love to hear people's thoughts. I just love the Blazing Blue color. I also like the Lapiz Blue of the Golf R but that's a little different car... :)
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave, but I'm looking to buy a Yaris hatchback of the 07-11 years and many of the ones I've seen have this type of problem.

One shop said they could buff out and blend one area of extreme fading/clear coat separation, but I'd be worried that it would eventually happen to the rest of the car.

Has anyone here bit the bullet and paid for a whole repainting of the car to fix the problem? I'd love to hear people's thoughts. I just love the Blazing Blue color. I also like the Lapiz Blue of the Golf R but that's a little different car... :)
A good repaint would cost a couple grand at least. Best bet is to find a good unit and keep it waxed to help prevent oxidation and coat separation.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #14
bladesmith6

I have an 07 Blazing hatch that the entire top surface separated. I live in pennsylvania and took good care of my car but it is always outside as i have no garage. Toyota would do nothing for me which of course angers me greatly but other than the shitty paint quality i really don;t have any complaints. Just be aware it can happen no matter what you do.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #15
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I've re-squirted my bumpers and side mirrors, but thankfully the paint on the roof and hood has held up with being carport'd and garaged for most of it's life. I keep it clean and have done 2 color sand and buffs in the time I've owned it. The paint on the hood and roof aren't new showroom finish, but nothing like the separation you guys have experienced.

If that were to happen to me, I'd look into either plasti-dip or wrap. My mild OCD would not allow me to drive it around like that.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #16
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
I have an 07 Blazing hatch that the entire top surface separated. I live in pennsylvania and took good care of my car but it is always outside as i have no garage. Toyota would do nothing for me which of course angers me greatly but other than the shitty paint quality i really don;t have any complaints. Just be aware it can happen no matter what you do.
That's what I ended up doing...learned to live with it.

It isn't worth the cost of a respray for a car nearly ten years old, and it still runs and drives great.

Plus, the interior is near immaculate; so from where I sit everything looks great!

But this experience with the paint will keep me from ever buying another Toyota!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #17
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experience!

In searching every Yaris hatchback for sale in CA and OR, I actually came across someone today who had his 07 Blazing Blue Yaris repainted when it started to peel a few years ago.

I will research the great suggestions on this Forum for how to best care for the paint. I finally have a garage (housing in Hawaii is uber pricey and I'm a teacher), so I will be able to take good care of my future Yaris. :)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #18
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

On a side note, the clear coat on my blue 2000 Toyota Corolla has been peeling off on the roof and trunk top for about three years now. So I'm used to this issue. And the same thing happened on my wife's silver Camry.