Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #37
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i used seafoam on the new engine i put it. Mind you, my 120,000km engine i removed was very clean inside considering.....

it does smoke like crazy and i have used it on my mothers camry in the past and the camry is still going strong
Old 09-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #38
bairjo

I did a spray Sea Foam treatment to my 2010 with 55k miles as PM. No vacuum lines to mess with. I threw a video together to show how easy this method is. Hope it helps someone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cJD-xOSY-w
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #39
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
Just to add a little more to this old thread, I have been using Seafoam, as well. I have added half a bottle to the fuel tank at every oil change (three oil changes as of today), and really cannot notice any big difference. However, since my Yaris only has 15k miles on it, and using quality gasoline and Seafoam twice already, perhaps there is not that much carbon to burn out. I suppose this could be considered preventive maintenance.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:46 AM   #40
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirapatec View Post
Just to add a little more to this old thread, I have been using Seafoam, as well. I have added half a bottle to the fuel tank at every oil change (three oil changes as of today), and really cannot notice any big difference. However, since my Yaris only has 15k miles on it, and using quality gasoline and Seafoam twice already, perhaps there is not that much carbon to burn out. I suppose this could be considered preventive maintenance.
Yeah, doubt you will see anything with only 15k miles on the clock, and using top tier gas. The biggest improvement was the first time I used Seafoam. Now, I'm not seeing a big difference due to annually using Seafoam (and actually going WOT a few times a week )
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #41
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I did a spray Sea Foam treatment to my 2010 with 55k miles as PM. No vacuum lines to mess with. I threw a video together to show how easy this method is. Hope it helps someone...

Thanks. Great video and I like the music.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #42
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
I watched it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post

After watching the video and all that smoke. I am curious if your catalytic converter will prematurely fail due to being clogged. I am afraid to try this.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #43
bairjo

Your concern is a valid one that I had as well before using it on my Yaris. However I had used this procedure on a few other cars with no long or short term ill effects on the cat. I did speak to one of the mechanics at the local dealer and he told me they have in fact used the stuff at the dealer at times. He also said don't use to much of it and don't don't do it to often. I guess that means follow the directions on the can. But, if I do have issues, I wll not keep it secret. I have put 6000 miles on the car since and have not thrown a code as of yet. I hope I didn't just jinx myself by saying that..LOL. Like I stated in the video, I almost wonder if the smoke is actually the product itself burning off....
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #44
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
^ the smoke is a mix of the Seafoam itself and any carbon build up. The last time I Seafoamed (either July or August of last year), I didn't have very much smoke. So I think it was just the Seafoam, and barely any carbon build up; nothing like when I first used Seafoam.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:46 AM   #45
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Nice video. I used to do that on my old Geo Metro. I don't think it hurts the
catalytic converter, but that's just my opinion. Never had an issue with the Geo.

You obviously are in a warm climate. It's about 0 F here, with windchills of -15 F, so I'll wait for warmer temps to do this outside.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #46
mattymo

Drives: 09 LB
I use seafoam a lot...via vacuum. Theoretically it can overheat your CAT by rich condition...chemical reaction. I've never had any issue except for the ridiculous cloud making it look like my house is on fire. It's good stuff. Not a fan of the spray though, personally.
mattymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #47
caper26

Drives: 2010 4D Sedan 5M w/convenience
Here is a decent write-up. I used seafoam last year on my Xterra and plan on doing it before my oil change on the Yaris this spring (soon).
The only thing I will add is not driving as far (100 miles) after you add it to the oil. Probably 25-50 miles tops, and really drive it (WOT) to losen up gunk.
Then change the oil.

http://diysrc.com/how-to-seafoam-you...arbon-buildup/
Old 05-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #48
draftpunk

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris Sedan YRX
Seafoam... Single handedly increasing carbon in the atmosphere one oil change at a time. You probably would put a lifetime of engine emissions out in one session of this than you would in the life of the engine normally. My 2 stroke motorcycle smokes less.

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk
draftpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #49
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftpunk View Post
Seafoam... Single handedly increasing carbon in the atmosphere one oil change at a time. You probably would put a lifetime of engine emissions out in one session of this than you would in the life of the engine normally. My 2 stroke motorcycle smokes less.

nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #50
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
I was told by a few buddies at toyota never to do an induction cleaning like this cuz of the cats and o2's would get hosed. They used bg products (I did as well at the shop I use to work at). I had there master tech tell me it would imstant death to exhaust side. But from.the success I'm seeing I think it has something to do with injection. The bg induction uses a lot.of pressure to cram down the throttle bodies throat. Seems like I have a new thing to add to my 100k service now. Thanks guys glad to see it helping.
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #51
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:

Good, maybe that will finally warm up this horrid weather. It is May, it damn well should feel like it.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #52
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90tsi View Post
I was told by a few buddies at toyota never to do an induction cleaning like this cuz of the cats and o2's would get hosed. They used bg products (I did as well at the shop I use to work at). I had there master tech tell me it would imstant death to exhaust side. But from.the success I'm seeing I think it has something to do with injection. The bg induction uses a lot.of pressure to cram down the throttle bodies throat. Seems like I have a new thing to add to my 100k service now. Thanks guys glad to see it helping.
Nope it won't hurt the cat or the O2 sensors either. I did it on a Vw new beetle using the vacuum intake a couple months ago and it threw a few codes but all cleared after you reset the codes and drive the car for a while. car runs really good now.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #53
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
This is exactly my concern. I'd love to restore some fuel efficiency in my old car, but if this product puts massive amounts of noxious gases into the atmosphere, maybe it would be more eco-friendly to just let the car burn dirty. Is there some way of capturing all the gunk after using this?
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #54
mattymo

Drives: 09 LB
I think the improved mileage and performance outweighs atmosphere concerns. You can do it during the rain....which would capture some.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
mattymo is offline   Reply With Quote