Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #37
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
lol oh the things you can start when you take off parts of your car.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #38
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Ordered one from the same guy before everyone else snatches them up! Fingers crossed! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170320582267
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #39
pismo61

Drives: 2012 SE
I did this on a 2006 Toyota Tacoma.You needed the cruise control stalk,a jumper wire for inside the steering wheel,a piece that snaped into the side of the steering wheel for the stalk to stick out of,and switch for the clutch.The tacomas are all pre wired.I got the info on a Toyota forum web site pictures and all.It was about 120.00 for all parts.Cant remember the exact forum but its a popular one.Searched it toyotanation.com in the tacoma area.
pismo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #40
Uncle Yaris

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5-door
Anyone read Thai?

Here's an interesting eBay listing.

http://tinyurl.com/dl2rfn

The switch looks like the illustration in the '07 Yaris manual (the one in the original post in this thread doesn't)

There are some illustrations in the eBay listing (scroll down) that no doubt tell us all we need to know, but unfortunately they are in Thai. Anyone who can translate?
Uncle Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #41
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
I have no idea how if these new systems work the same as older models, but I do know that on those older models, there was a vacuum canister inside the engine bay for the cruise control. So there deff may be an extra part needed, but again, that was for cabled lder models.

No idea if the rule has changed for DBW.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #42
elmo
WFO

Drives: 2008 hb
i hope this works i really miss CC

fingers crossed XXXXXXXXXX
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #43
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I was going to say something about needing a new peace of plastic for the back of the steering wheel or the steering column depending on where this mounts but pismo61 got to it first.

I did a bunch of searching and it looks like the automatics just need the new plastic and the switch. I’m not sure on the manuals but we will see soon.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #44
Danish Yaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1,8 TS 5dr. 2007
Hi

If it works on your Toyota Yarises, does anybody then know if it will be the same for an European model Toyota Yaris?
If I should buy the Cruise Control kit in Denmark the price is about $600 plus install, but itīs a kit with some extra. I know on the Toyota Avensis from 2004 or so untill 2008 you only need the stalk, two screws and two wires.

Regards Steven.
Danish Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #45
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
For the plastic piece ... do you mean where the stalk comes out of? Couldn't you just dremel/drill a hole?
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #46
anexrx7

Drives: 08 MM HB
Alright guys, I got one for you in the mean time while you're waiting for your parts. Does anyone have a junker switch available? Or any sort of electronic experience? The reason I ask is you could possibly "build" one to experiment. I would jump on it on my car, but I'm only on vacation for 9 more months 7000 miles from my car... Let me know if you guys are interested because I can still help, I do that stuff for a living.
anexrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #47
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by anexrx7 View Post
Alright guys, I got one for you in the mean time while you're waiting for your parts. Does anyone have a junker switch available? Or any sort of electronic experience? The reason I ask is you could possibly "build" one to experiment. I would jump on it on my car, but I'm only on vacation for 9 more months 7000 miles from my car... Let me know if you guys are interested because I can still help, I do that stuff for a living.
PK, this has your name written all over it.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #48
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
since this is DBW, im pretty sure toyota has removed one of the units that control the cruise control.

PK, if you have time, could you look at the complete wiring of the cruise control ? does it end at some place where there should be a box, but it isn't there??

also, the last thing i know, that if i got the cruise control from Toyota (back in late 06), i would not have gotten the OEM cruise control system...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #49
Uncle Yaris

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
since this is DBW, im pretty sure toyota has removed one of the units that control the cruise control.

PK, if you have time, could you look at the complete wiring of the cruise control ? does it end at some place where there should be a box, but it isn't there??

also, the last thing i know, that if i got the cruise control from Toyota (back in late 06), i would not have gotten the OEM cruise control system...
I've been wading through the various Toyota PDF documentation that people have posted here. The circuit for the CC seems to be very simple - two wires from the switch, one of which is a ground, go through the spiral cable back of the steering wheel. The "hot" wire goes to the ECM. The only other units involved are the things that should be there already, like brake light switch and throttle control. Unless they have embedded some "gotcha" in the ECM coding, I don't see why this wouldn't work.
Uncle Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #50
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Just form the reading that I found all the wiring is there and the ECM dose the rest if you have the switches.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #51
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
from what i saw in both the EWD and the Cruise Control diagram is that everything is there. The stalk enables the inputs of the ECM that in turn tell the ECM cruise control is enabled. Now does it mean that option is always available or does it have to be enabled at the dealer we will know when we get the stalks. The diagram says the ECM already has the programming necessary for cruise control the stalk seems to be missing for a complete circuit.

As for the steering column trim , there is an outline for the placement of the stalk
Should this work for the 5-speed and auto trans. alike? Or would the 5-speed require something else?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #52
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
the 5 speed uses the clutch switch and brake switch while the auto uses the gear position sensor and brake switch.
ooh, that may be a problem, haha, I crimped off my clutch switch for the remote starter, maybe I can make a bypass switch instead of leaving it crimped off
Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #53
MGargano

Quote:
the 5 speed uses the clutch switch and brake switch while the auto uses the gear position sensor and brake switch.
Does this mean, if all goes according to plan, that I'll need something other than the eBay stalk to make this work? This is assuming, of course, that the eBay stalk does what we all hope it will.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #54
MGargano

ok thanks. Fingers crossed that this goes as planned!