Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
imachopyoheadoff

Drives: 06 Yaris YR
Handbrake doesnt "bite"

hey everyone! I've recently changed my front brake pads to something more suitable for light track use.

But while I was at it I checked the rears (drums) as well and it was worn out. So I replaced the rear brake shoes with brand new ones. But now my handbrake doesnt have as much grip as the old ones and doesnt have that instant bite/grab to it.

I need the handbrake (Auto X purposes) What do I need to do to solve this??
imachopyoheadoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
You probably just need to adjust them.

Did you also have the drum resurfaced? That's might be the issue.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
imachopyoheadoff

Thanks for the response man!

I already have adjusted it but no I didn't get the drums resurfaced.
That's possibly the issue ayee. So is it just fine to get it resurfaced now even though the shoes arent "fresh" anymore??
Old 09-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
you don't need to have drums resurfaced. you can just have them sanded down on its inside surface, though not extremely necessary. using sandpaper will do. besides if you adjusted them and they don't have the bite as they used to, they're either:
1) good for track use because they need to heat up a little (designed to have less brake fade in continuous use), or
2) very bad shoes.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
imachopyoheadoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
you don't need to have drums resurfaced. you can just have them sanded down on its inside surface, though not extremely necessary. using sandpaper will do. besides if you adjusted them and they don't have the bite as they used to, they're either:
1) good for track use because they need to heat up a little (designed to have less brake fade in continuous use), or
2) very bad shoes.
Ahh okay! I'll do that! Cheers mate! :D Actually my front pads needs to actually heat up first haha. (using EBC Red Stuff) as you said was designed for less brake fade for continous hard braking. Idk about the shoes though theyre just normal replacements.