Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #19
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
I don't know a permanent fix for this, but I can say I have seen this happen on fords and a jeep I used to own. Dusty roads and some overactive spiders seemed to be my main problem. I just carried a long zip tie and would ream it out a couple of times each summer once my mechanic friend clued me in.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #20
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
After looking at the AC section of the service manual, I am mighty glad that I put the filter in within the first week that I bought the car.

If you look at the picture below, without the filter in place, anything that enters the outside intake has a direct path into the air box. With the filter there, you will prevent particulate from getting into the box, where it then plugs the drain and provides a breeding ground for molds. Even if you haven't had the drain fully plugged, the stuff that enters without the filter will stick to the walls of the box. So, if you've run without the filter for any period of time, before adding the filter it would make sense to disinfect the airbox as well as you can with something like Ozium or Lysol.

Attachment 25907
Yet another great reason to check and make sure one's Yaris is sporting a cabin filter (most aren't)! Glad I caught mine early on too.

CTScott you are always quick with the trouble-shooting and diagrams! Someone should give you an MVP (most valuable poster) award!

Thanks,

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 07-13-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Grammar
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #21
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Quote:
After looking at the AC section of the service manual, I am mighty glad that I put the filter in within the first week that I bought the car.

If you look at the picture below, without the filter in place, anything that enters the outside intake has a direct path into the air box. With the filter there, you will prevent particulate from getting into the box, where it then plugs the drain and provides a breeding ground for molds. Even if you haven't had the drain fully plugged, the stuff that enters without the filter will stick to the walls of the box. So, if you've run without the filter for any period of time, before adding the filter it would make sense to disinfect the airbox as well as you can with something like Ozium or Lysol.

Attachment 25907
Thanks! But I still cant find where the hose is under the car.

Still living with this distgusting smell, cant use the AC half the time.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
Thanks! But I still cant find where the hose is under the car.

Still living with this distgusting smell, cant use the AC half the time.
It can be hard to find from under. You can easily access it from about. Just have a pan or bucket under the hose as you clear it, so you don't get the output all over the carpet.

Here's where it is (top left side of the passenger footwell):
AC hose.jpg

Here's what it looks like when you pull it out of the flloor:
AC Hose 1.jpg
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #23
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Thank you!
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #24
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrash View Post
Ok, I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris S. It has issues. Usually it manages to suck up a piece of paper into the heating system and it sounds like a playing card stuck in a bicycle tire. No idea how to avoid that or fix it.

Now (and I gotta believe this is related) every time I turn a corner I hear water slushing behind my glove box. Water comes out and onto the carpet, and my car smells like mold.

This is the second time this has happened. The last time I took it in and they told me it was clogged?!? How is that possible and how do I avoid it? More importantly, how can I fix this? I don't want to be taking this thing in and paying to have this obvious flaw fixed every 6 weeks (it's been about that long since the last time I took it in). :(
Paper could be getting sucked out of your glove box and getting to the blower wheel...but filter should prevent that, unless it's not a good fit, or maybe it's not even there?

I just replaced a cabin filter on a xD and noticed that they have a curved plastic cage above the filter, probably to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

#7 ($4.46) But I doubt it'll fit the Yaris

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 07-24-2009 at 06:29 PM.
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #25
Steveh27

Drives: 2010 3dr hatchback auto red
curved plastic cage

That cage is in my 2010 3 door HB, but no filter or tray.
Steveh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #26
NH3R717

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch, White
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
i am 99% sure that it is just: 1) open glove box 2) gently squeeze at rear of top of glove box 3) gently pull glove box out 4) then you will be looking at your cabin air filter location and if i remember right, your cooler box 4) make sure that there is nothing large sitting at the bottom of the cooler box 4) make sure that the drain hose is going through the appropriate hole in the firewall behind the cooler box... i think that should cover it, sorry that i do not have pictures...
This should give me access to be able to clean the coils also.
NH3R717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
macman707
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris
I just fixed the AC condensation leak for $2

I had the same problem with my 2008 Yaris. The drain was plugged with some mold or algae and water was sloshing and leaking into my passenger floor. The fix is simple. Go to the department or grocery store and get a turkey baster (I paid $2 for one). Lift your carpet back from the top under the passenger side of the floorboard. You will see a rubber hose about a foot long and one end goes into the floor/firewall, gently pull it out. Once removed from floor you can see into engine compartment. Fill a container with about a pint of water and a couple of ounces of bleach and mix. Now take the turkey baster and fill it full with the water mixture and blast it into the end of the rubber hose, holding the baster tight to the hose. Now squeeze it 4 or 5 times like you are unclogging a sink. Now pinch the rubber hose and snap it back into the hole in the floor board and the water should start flowing quickly. I repeated the process to more times and it works like a charm now. It saved me a $50 service charge and I now know what to do if it happens again.
macman707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Thread necro! I just did the quick drain fix on mine. Got about 2 cups of water out of it, but nothing that looked like a clog. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get an air filter next time I order parts...

On an unrelated note, I think I just found the entry site for my AFR sensor cable!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #29
nobodywise

Drives: Yaris sedan
Quote:
It can be hard to find from under. You can easily access it from about. Just have a pan or bucket under the hose as you clear it, so you don't get the output all over the carpet.

Here's where it is (top left side of the passenger footwell):
Attachment 26199

Here's what it looks like when you pull it out of the flloor:
Attachment 26200
Is this the same for a right hand drive sedan?

I love the back of my car, the front... not so much
nobodywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodywise View Post
Is this the same for a right hand drive sedan?

For RHD cars it is the same but on the opposite side of the center console.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #31
nobodywise

Quote:
For RHD cars it is the same but on the opposite side of the center console.
So you mean it would be on the right side of the car and run to the top right of the carpet orrrrr?
I sent you a private message

Old 10-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #32
nobodywise

Never mind, found it