Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Better way to mount a USB port for the radio?

As I'm sure many of you here have done, I've installed a much better aftermarket radio. The GPS, the touchscreen, the DVD player, all that jazz. Well, it has a USB port in the back which of course you plug a USB cable into and then you can put all your music on a flash drive and the unit will let you scroll though it and play what you want. Eliminates all those old, outdated bulky CD's we all used to have to carry.

But right now, all I have is just the USB cord ran into the glove box and its just sort of flops around in there. Its kinda crappy. If you need to rustle around in the glove box for anything, then you have to be careful not to upset this USB cord or the flash drive that's plugged into it. I would like a more solid, secure way of doing this that is not in the glovebox. But how could I go about doing this?
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
2-way sticky-tape it in a convenient location on your dash someplace.
3M makes some good sticky-tape.
My USB port is on the front of my head unit. I just run the cord down to a small storage area in the middle of my dash. Cord is wound up, and Flashdrive just sits in there out of the way. Been like that for the last 2 years. No issues. I never felt the need to try and "mount" it anywhere.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
BennyLava

I don't think that's going to work. I'm always plugging and unplugging my flash drive so that I can add new music to it via my computer. The tape would wear out real fast, and it would also leave a glue on my dash. I don't want that.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
True.

If you are always fooling with it, the tape won't be a permanent solution.
Sounds like you need some kind of little bracket you can screw to your dash someplace.
I never seen anything like that. Might have to custom make something.

I just leave mine loose, but my USB port is on the FRONT of my head unit. So I just pull the cord out of the unit and take the whole thing inside to my computer to add more albums. I never unplug my flash drive from the cord.

If you run across a good solution, post a pic for us.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Do you have a hatch or sedan ? And what Year.

On my 2007 Sedan in the right side cubby there is a pop out piece used for the factory usb and 3.5 mm connectors. Let me see if i can find a pic. Did the headunit come with any mounting hardware or did you throw everything away ?

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
I actually have mine mounted by the e-brake and aux jack on my hatch...

Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
^ +1
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
Do you have a hatch or sedan ? And what Year.

On my 2007 Sedan in the right side cubby there is a pop out piece used for the factory usb and 3.5 mm connectors. Let me see if i can find a pic. Did the headunit come with any mounting hardware or did you throw everything away ?
Just came with the cable which I'm already using. No mounting hardware. It actually said to run the cable into the glove box lol.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
The tab looks like the one from the pics above but it's hidden in the little cubby compartment on the glove box side. Shine a flashlight in there and you'll see the outline. For now my wire is just ran through it but i don't keep my headunits for long.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote