Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
Anyone try stainless brake lines?

Just curious if any of you have fitted your Yaris with stainless steel brake lines and if so what is your opinion? Was it worth it? Do you like the new pedal feel?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Ya, I put them on the front.

It makes a slight difference in pedal feel; more direct contact during heavy/hard braking, and when the pedal is "bottomed out", there is no play, so it feels like a more direct connection to the brake pads. But it does not really improve brake performance; for that, better/newer brake pads are needed.

Performance pads don't really help either; soft pads will work better than performance pads, because the yaris is so light it will never heat up the pads enough to benefit from the heat resistance of performance pads (race pads I bought are very bad when cold, they are designed to function during extreme heat).

If you are looking to improve your brakes, a good start; first make sure your star wheels on the rear drum brakes are tight as fuck. Open the rubber gasket on the back and click until the wheel barely spins.

Last edited by swidd; 07-14-2012 at 06:14 PM.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

yeah I know there's no difference in brake performance, they already lock up just fine. I was just curious about pedal feel. thanks!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Interesting thread!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
I'm in the same boat..I was planning on going with Hawk HPS pads and lines anyone have experience with this set-up?

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
"Stainless steel" brake lines are not made out of stainless steel. They are rubber just like regular brake lines.

What they are is a meshlike braid of stainless steel that goes over the rubber line. The idea is the mesh will reinforce the rubber line and prevent the rubber from expanding when the brakes are applied, thus improving their "feel".

This is utter nonsence. SS brake lines are widely sold for use on motorcycles. I have ridden bikes with them and I could determine absolutely NO difference in how the brakes performed, before and after. The mesh will just expand with the rubber. It doesnt do a thing.

However many riders "swear" they can feel the difference. The thing to do is get identical bikes one with and one without SS brake lines. Then have the riders who think it makes a difference ride each one and identify which is which.

They wont be able to.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
What about slotted rotors and hawk hps pads? My brakes feel mushy

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

odd, my stock brakes grab like a mofo
Old 07-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
Well, look at it this way. To slow down I take my foot off the gas pedal. Which works better with a MT than the AT I must suffer with. I use the brakes to come to a stop at lights and stop signs. It is very unusual that I have to "hit the brakes" to stop all of a sudden. I dont use them much at all. Here is something I saw the other day. I was in town with a light every 2 or 3 hundred yards. I just went through a green light when the one ahead of me turned red. So I took my foot off the gas and coasted a it. When the light turned green I was still moving albeit slowly. Numb nuts behind me roars around my slow motion Yaris and proceeds to the red light going 40 or more. Then slams on his brakes 20 yards from the light and comes to a complete stop.

I ahdly use my brakes so who cares if they mush a little?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
^ Bronsin is right. I can go about 100 kilometers if I am lucky on a highway without hitting the brakes once (this is including going up and down hills)
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
While we are on the subject...........
Excessive brake wear is not caused by using the brakes too often, it is caused by using them improperly...... using excessive brake pedal pressure.

In other words, don't wait until the last second to apply the brakes when you know you have to stop and then hitting them hard.
Instead, apply gentle brake pressue a bit sooner and come to a more gradual stop. Your brakes will then last far longer.

Last edited by RedRide; 07-14-2012 at 03:36 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #12
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Just wanted to clarify some misguidance and perceived benefits:
These are rubber flex hoses with braided outer jacket. Not stainless steel lines.
Brake lines are rigid steel underneath the chassis...
Stainless steel-braided flex hoses have only one effect: more direct pedal feedback due to hose expansion resistance.

Your fluid will still boil if overheated.
Your pads and rotors will still wear as normal.
Your stopping power (brake torque) and durability will not change.

Their only practical benefit is to make modulating the brake pedal more effective in race cars-- no ABS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
However many riders "swear" they can feel the difference. The thing to do is get identical bikes one with and one without SS brake lines. Then have the riders who think it makes a difference ride each one and identify which is which..
The very high hydraulic pressures in a race car will draw out the difference more readily. Flex hoses do expand with enough pressure, enough to see them balloon with your eyes. Motorcycles do not benefit from braided hoses because they cannot develop the enough hydraulic pressure without a brake booster.

Last edited by Lux; 07-14-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
do they need to be replaced? Do you autocross or race? Different pad material could help, as could different brake fluid.