Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
EchoLaQua

Drives: Toyota Echo Turbo
Cheap Forged build?

I'm already pushing the limits of the stock motor at 10psi and I plan to shoot for 12. Fearing the inevitable, I have decided to build a motor to have as a back up.

Here is part 1 of my budget build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23QcbBBAebU
EchoLaQua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I really like the video. Any chance you could share the part numbers for the rods and pistons?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
KTS

Drives: Vitz RS
Search eBay for MaxSpeeding rods 1nzfe and ycp vitara 8.5:1 pistons. Ycp also makes a high comp piston for the vitara i believe so be careful. I have seen the pistons as cheap as $109usd and they have been proven in the Honda communities to withstand 400+ whp in daily drivers.
The main thing I have read about these pistons is excessive piston slap on startup but once you have the correct piston to wall clearance (0.003" to 0.004" iirc) you are not going to have problems.
I also think you need a clearance of 0.001" for the gudgeon pin clearance on the new bushing. Please dont just buy these parts and use my clearance numbers. Do some research and if i am wrong let us make the corrections to the info.
This is the build i have been planning to start next month parts are soon to be on there way to me. I will do a document post when that time comes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
KTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
EchoLaQua

Thanks Cranky. Yeah as KTS said, ycp pistons and max speed rods. I'll try to find the actual part number though.

The piston slap in the hondas is due to the center offset of the wrist pin. If they rotate the pistons around the other way piston slap is a thing of the past (apparently).
Also that 8.5:1 ratio (and the other ratios listed) is based off of a different head design so until the calculations are done on the 1nz's head, those numbers are a guess. Aren't they?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
KTS

Yea complete guess as to the compression ratio although I'm hoping it's around 9.0:1. The same company (ycp) also makes pistons for the 1nzfe but the only place I was able to acquire is in Malaysia selling piston-rod combos with 76mm pistons. They ship internationally but I don't personal want to bore to 0.004". As a community we need to find a way to contact ycp to acquire pistons specifically for our engines.
If not ycp then genuine nippon racing pistons will also be a great cheap alternative. I also came across a company called dnj pistons at $50 each.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 01:36 AM   #6
EchoLaQua

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1O6_A3qVhQ

Part 2 of my budget build. Nothing too major, just a small update.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoLaQua View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1O6_A3qVhQ

Part 2 of my budget build. Nothing too major, just a small update.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:15 AM   #8
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
wait...did you say removing weight on crank to offset ADDED weight to piston/rod? that is exactly opposite of correct. I believe technically you add weight to one side of a circle, you have to add weight to the other side to balance. if you add weight to one side and remove weight from the other, it would become more unstable, eh?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #9
EchoLaQua

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
wait...did you say removing weight on crank to offset ADDED weight to piston/rod? that is exactly opposite of correct. I believe technically you add weight to one side of a circle, you have to add weight to the other side to balance. if you add weight to one side and remove weight from the other, it would become more unstable, eh?
Yeah I hear you there, and it has crossed my mind. I made this a fair while ago and at that time I was still rocking the 2nz gearbox and wasn't happy with the acceleration, so I was desperately trying to sneak some weight out in an attempt to get into the power band sooner. Looking back just the flywheel would probably suffice. Or if I knew of the fun that is a c56 gearbox back then I wouldn't have bothered (even with the flywheel).

I don't know that they are heavier for sure, I didn't actually weigh the new pistons/rods I just associated the size being quite a bit bigger, that they'd be slightly heavier than stock (and yes that didn't click at that time ). You are right though I should sus it out. At the end of the day it's just an experiment and I want to see what happens. It was a spare crank and the work was cheap so if worst comes to worst I'll wack a stock crank in (or have it matched to the rods/pistons) and go from there.

Last edited by EchoLaQua; 03-21-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Just make sure to have it balanced and you should be fine.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #11
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Just make sure to have it balanced and you should be fine.
that's the idea, but if the pistons/rods are heaver than the stock, weight has to be added to the throw to balance the crank. it 's more expensive to add weight than to remove it...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #12
KTS

These are the masses i got for the pistons and rods i ordered. All masses are in grams.

YCP 75.5mm Vitara Pistons (part# 22108P)
(Range of 0.57g)

Piston Pins
(Range of 0.02g)

Maxspeedingrods 1nzfe (part# CR-TOY-140.8-19)
(Range of 0.14g)

-klick-
Old 02-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
speedworxs

Drives: |Mr2
(1st post!)
so did you know what the compression ratio worked out to be?

i searched and searched, i think it will work out to around 8.5 - 9.0 :1 . depends if you deck the block and head

Last edited by speedworxs; 03-02-2018 at 03:36 PM.
speedworxs is offline   Reply With Quote