Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
K swapped hybrid miata build

After my first track day I realized how much function>form and how having a reliable car trumps pure power. The other thing is cost, having fun can happen sooner if you are able to do it in a way that is more cost effective and you can then afford more track time.

I had originally planned to buy a used 2013 BRZ/FRS on the cheap and then build it into a road legal track/weekend warrior car in the next 3-5 years. But once I was actually on the track I realized just how fun it was and how little it mattered how the car looked. Hell, some of the fastest cars out there were trailered track monsters missing rear bumpers and had panels held on by rivets.

IMO and after a ton of research it seems that the miata is one of the most economical cars for this purpose. I have never loved the look of the miata but I have reviewed some of the costs with wearable parts and they are crazy cheap compared to the FRS/BRZ platform. The aftermarket is full of not just parts but multiple different engine swap kits that suit all power levels and experience, so basically the build can grow with you.

Most recently I stumbled upon the Kmiata website which offers k24 block with a k20A2 head. This gives you an 8200(?) red line and around 240ish whp - reliable hp. I've looked into this for the past couple days and realized that to build a track car and get the most out of the engine I would have to forgo the road legal thing and just trailer the car to the track. In Ontario e tests are a huge pain in the ass. Also the car won't be very comfy to drive in and will be stripped out so if I'm being realistic a full blow track car is the way to go with a standalone ecu.

I've always loved all engine builds due to their resilience to heat and good power bands. And for whatever reason high revving engines have always got me all warm and fuzzy. There's something to ringing out an engine to its full limit.

Anyways, just thought I'd drop a thread on a pretty cool engine swap idea which would be a pretty cool combo of a great chassis paired with one of the best NA engines. I'm curious if anyone else has experience wrenching Honda engines and what their thoughts are
Old 09-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
deng
Radical Dreamer

Drives: off of T9
Honda makes great NA engines in my opinion. I've never owned one, but driven plenty.

I've looked into the K Miata before, but with all the money, and time that goes into it, might as well buy an S2000. All an S2k needs are wider and stickier tires. Drive to the track, put down fast times, and drive home with factory reliability.

Being different is cool and all, but I've come to the realization that Seat Time > Down Time. I had a 2zz swapped MR2 Spyder in the past, and I spent so much money on the swap; the donor engine gave me problems, and there were also 2zz problems that needed addressing. All my friends were out tracking their cars, and I was home fixing one problem after another. Eventually everything was sorted out, but I wished I used the money for track days. Needless to say, I should've just bought an S2K instead. 2zz swapped MR-S is as fast as a stock S2000, but with shittier suspension.

Some of the fastest track cars here in SoCal are D series EF hatch civics. The driver mod is the best mod.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
fair point, and the s200 is a great car and platform. The issue is (at least around here) miatas are a dime a dozen and are still being made. The s2000 are actually going up in price and are rare with less aftermarket support and higher costs. Also iirc the s2000 is a heavier vehicle so harder on wearables. I'm a fan of the s2000 but unfortunately they are becoming a collectors item and you need decent cash to own one now.

A local guy is selling his track spec miata for $9500 that was built boosted for Targa Newfoundland. It is so hard for me to not buy that car. Other than the cash the other thing holding me back is the lack of storage or a garage in my current house. Seriously, $9500 (asking) for a properly built track ready miata? Hell, I'd drive that engine into the ground and then just do a k swap once it blows.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
deng
Radical Dreamer

Drives: off of T9
The answer is always Miata.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:42 AM   #5
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Me too. I plan to get a NC MX5 soon.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote