Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
gravylegs

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback RS
Replacing stock deck - photo tutorial

Hi people, while I was replacing my deck / door speakers I snapped a few photos with my phone. Might be useful to the more timid folks out there who don't like reefing on panels until you find the right one.

getting the stock deck out is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Start with the center panel trims on the left and right of the stack. Pull at the bottom of each one, and follow it all the way up. Once you have them detached, you can either lay them on the dash, or disconnect them and set them aside. I let them dangle because I am lazy.

2. Starting at the top of the trim on the speedometer window, pull the trim so it detaches, and keep pulling evenly on both sides until the who thing comes off to the environmental controls. It is two pieces, but is easier to remove as one piece.

3. There are 4 easily accessible screws holding the deck in, just unscrew 'em and yank the deck out!

Putting a new stock deck in is NOT as easy as 1-2-3! I bought an echo mounting kit as mentioned by someone else on the board, and while the kit was useful to provide something of a "face", it wasn't very useful to actually mount a stereo. Here is what I ended up having to do.

1. Detach mounting brackets from the stock deck.
2. Widen holes in side of deck if required. I did this with a drill, but more out of frustration...
3. Mount stock brackets onto new deck.
4. Hook toyota wiring harness on onto new deck's wiring harness. (Saves you having to chop up the wires in your dash...ask if you dont know what this is about)
5. Plug everything in and test stereo out to ensure connections are good.
6. Mount the deck with the 4 screws.
7. NOW....use the toyota echo mounting kit....all I could do was to chop off the extra tabs, and then place it in "around" the new deck. It fits in there snugly.
8. replace all the dash parts, and you have a new stock deck that works! The only drawback is that the faceplate of the mounting kit does not COMPLETELY fill the hole in the dash. It is pretty close, and doesn't look TOO bad....but I will for sure be buying the proper mounting kit once it is available.

Hope this helps someone. Pulling off doors tutorial with pics coming soon.

Gravylegs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_00020.jpg (61.5 KB, 9030 views)
File Type: jpg image_00021.jpg (55.9 KB, 8793 views)
File Type: jpg image_00025.jpg (54.5 KB, 9042 views)
File Type: jpg image_00023.jpg (54.7 KB, 8765 views)
gravylegs is offline   Reply With Quote