Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
MCC1522

Drives: Yaris
Warranty Questions

So I've had my Yaris for about a year….(black 2008 Sedan)…and I've decided to do some stuff to it. But my question is, installing a cold air intake or any performance upgrade, would it void my warranty?
MCC1522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Yes, it will void your warranty if they deem that it is what caused the issue. If your transmission goes out, they aren't going to say "Well that aftermarket exhaust caused your transmission to go out."

Only way around it is to buy TRD parts and have a dealer install them. Then it doesn't void the warranty.

Note: this is also the wrong section to post this in, FYI.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank View Post
Note: this is also the wrong section to post this in, FYI.
+1

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Cold air intakes are easy to install or remove.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15977
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
TRD has a cold air intake, among other fine quality Yaris goods, if that would set you mind at ease.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
as a toyota tech....i'd say that any bolt on mods would not bust ur warranty. say ur CAI issue threw a check engine light....ya maybe. but it would be a simple fix such as a gasket or seal...

and your header install decided to cause a leak and you're running rich now...ya maybe.

but if you go in for something like a broken rod and u got full exhaust, intake, plugs/wires and all...depending on if they're the same heat range plugs...then i wouldnt have a problem with saying put it on warranty.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Dealers are like insurance companies when it comes time to honor a warantee or policy,they will use any loop hole they can find to weasel out of their responsibilitys,so if you are thinking of adding anything but the most rudimentary add ons (air freshener)do so at the peril of your warantee.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
what jambo said. Its all on the mood of the service writer and the tech if they want to take care of u. If they show no vehicle history and you are servicing your car elsewhre and you come in with some seriouse issue like a engine failure. They make look at you and say tough cookies. Now if you always had your car serviced with them. They are more likely going to try to help you out. Otherwise they may try to blaim the failure on your performance parts also will look at it and think well this guy is a "racer" with his performance parts and ran the motor hard till it blew.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
MCC1522

Drives: Yaris
Where or how do i post questions?
MCC1522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Edit, nvm, it was moved
Old 04-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
what jambo said. Its all on the mood of the service writer and the tech if they want to take care of u. If they show no vehicle history and you are servicing your car elsewhre and you come in with some seriouse issue like a engine failure. They make look at you and say tough cookies. Now if you always had your car serviced with them. They are more likely going to try to help you out. Otherwise they may try to blaim the failure on your performance parts also will look at it and think well this guy is a "racer" with his performance parts and ran the motor hard till it blew.
Very true ! I bought my car new about 6 months ago from the local toyota dealer a few blocks from my house . I have since modded it with intake , ud pulley , header , nitto mid pipe (with cat deleate) and hks exhaust as well as full body kit , suspension , recaros(removed stock weight sensors ) rims(removed stock air pressure sensors) and works bell quick release hub and nardi steering wheel( no air bag ) . My vvt-i seloniod went out and they replaced it for free no questions asked . So yeah pretty much depends on if the service manager is cool with you/your car or not .