Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #145
fratzica
Diesel Inside

Drives: Yaris 1.4 D-4D
do you have any idea if this tutorial works on european Yaris models? Or if not, could you direct me to one? Thank you!
fratzica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #146
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratzica View Post
do you have any idea if this tutorial works on european Yaris models? Or if not, could you direct me to one? Thank you!
It does not work on European Yaris, as they don't have the cruise control functionality built into the ECM. To add cruise control you would need to purchase an expensive aftermarket kit (I believe people have mentioned it to be about $800 USD).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #147
fratzica
Diesel Inside

wow that`s expensive
Did you also check the diesel European models, or just the gasoline powered ones?
Thank you for your quick answer.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #148
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratzica View Post
wow that`s expensive
Did you also check the diesel European models, or just the gasoline powered ones?
Thank you for your quick answer.
Both do not.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #149
goat1of2

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB Auto 3-door
Disaster! Car dead in driveway!

Well, as you can probably tell from the stupid questions I was asking, this mod was way way beyond me. I have now broken a part and am wondering if you would identify which Toyota part number it is (where do you find these numbers?)

It is the plastic locking lever which locks in and holds connector A21. Picture enclosed.

Also, I did another stupid thing which seemed smart at the time: I pushed the plug over Pin 40 down through the connector. Of course it didn't come out the other side. I was supposed to pull it OUT! Stupid stupid. Now my special 20.00 connnector orderd from Toyota will not seat. Any suggestions? Other than just shooting myself now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1492.jpg (149.4 KB, 298 views)
goat1of2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #150
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
Well, as you can probably tell from the stupid questions I was asking, this mod was way way beyond me. I have now broken a part and am wondering if you would identify which Toyota part number it is (where do you find these numbers?)

It is the plastic locking lever which locks in and holds connector A21. Picture enclosed.

Also, I did another stupid thing which seemed smart at the time: I pushed the plug over Pin 40 down through the connector. Of course it didn't come out the other side. I was supposed to pull it OUT! Stupid stupid. Now my special 20.00 connnector orderd from Toyota will not seat. Any suggestions? Other than just shooting myself now.
Yikes!

I don't see the locking lever listed anywhere in the EPC, so for that one you'll have to check with the parts person at your local dealer to see if it can be purchased (otherwise you might have to try to find one at a junkyard).

for getting that rubber plug back out, try pushing it from the pin side. If that doesn't work, you might be able to pull it out the wire side using a sewing pin with the tip bent into a hook.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #151
goat1of2

There is a part number on the lever but it says "Tyco 90980-12589"

Tried googling it but nothing yet.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #152
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
There is a part number on the lever but it says "Tyco 90980-12589"

Tried googling it but nothing yet.

Tyco, Sumitomo, etc. make many custom connectors for Toyota, which you can't purchase from anyone, except the manufacturer or Toyota.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #153
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
I also did that with the rubber thing in the connector, too. Just take a needle and push it back out the right way, it'll go. I had a lot of trouble too with that stupid connector. That black sliding piece wouldn't go back on, and after 10 minutes of fudging around with it, I just took it off and put the gray piece back on and slid it into place.

Don't worry - your car is not dead.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #154
goat1of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
I also did that with the rubber thing in the connector, too. Just take a needle and push it back out the right way, it'll go. I had a lot of trouble too with that stupid connector. That black sliding piece wouldn't go back on, and after 10 minutes of fudging around with it, I just took it off and put the gray piece back on and slid it into place.

Don't worry - your car is not dead.
Thank you, Mr (or Ms) Duck, for your kind words of sympathy. The boyfriend came home after work and somehow managed to reinstall the piece I'd broken and superglued back together. Car now runs. PHEW! Back to square one.

He tried for quite some time to work out that plug using a pin, a thicker piece of wire, and just some general cussing. He says he can see the plug down in there and it is kind of sideways, allowing a wire to go right through to the other side, without piercing the plug.

He wants to use a tiny drill bit and DRILL the plug to bits. I say we don't know what the heck is inside that connection hole, so we risk ruining a 500.00 component! We might just smear the material the plug is made of all up inside there, making a worse mess. We might somehow screw up the neighboring connector, which has a wire already in it.

I want to try leaving the plug in and just pushing a single-strand AWG 20 wire through the connector and seeing if THAT will make a good-enough connection. A wire of that description does go right through.

So, do we try it his way or my way? Or, do I just cover the hole left by the missing plug with electrical tape and pronounce this vehicle PERMANENTLY WITHOUT CRUISE CONTROL.

I hope at least you all are getting a good laugh out of this!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #155
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thank you, Mr (or Ms) Duck, for your kind words of sympathy. The boyfriend came home after work and somehow managed to reinstall the piece I'd broken and superglued back together. Car now runs. PHEW! Back to square one.

He tried for quite some time to work out that plug using a pin, a thicker piece of wire, and just some general cussing. He says he can see the plug down in there and it is kind of sideways, allowing a wire to go right through to the other side, without piercing the plug.

He wants to use a tiny drill bit and DRILL the plug to bits. I say we don't know what the heck is inside that connection hole, so we risk ruining a 500.00 component! We might just smear the material the plug is made of all up inside there, making a worse mess. We might somehow screw up the neighboring connector, which has a wire already in it.

I want to try leaving the plug in and just pushing a single-strand AWG 20 wire through the connector and seeing if THAT will make a good-enough connection. A wire of that description does go right through.

So, do we try it his way or my way? Or, do I just cover the hole left by the missing plug with electrical tape and pronounce this vehicle PERMANENTLY WITHOUT CRUISE CONTROL.

I hope at least you all are getting a good laugh out of this!

I would avoid the drill bit route, as that has the potential to do unnecessary damage. The cavity that the plug is stuck in is rectangular, so it is fairly easy to have it round plug end of sideways in there. The drill bit will probably just chew up the soft sides of the cavity, rather than the plug. The key with the plug being wedged is to get something to hook deep enough into the plug to allow it to be pulled.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #156
rcspott

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB Stick
Goat,

You have a Private Message
rcspott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #157
lily
lily

Drives: white plane jane
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
well, i re-wired new push buttons and added a new single 620 resistor to the 2-button setup but still no avail.

i'm thinking that the connection to PIN 40 is not so good.

how did you all establish "connection" to this PIN 40?

did you just simply push a strand of wire through the harness or actually got one of those little pins? (i just pushed a wire through the harness because i cannot figure out how to completly disassemble it).

can the head piece of harness be taken apart further? <<< i have take it off the ECU/ECM and the taken the little rubber plug off but cannot figure out if the head piece of the harness can be taken apart further.

Thank you.
well, still no cruise yet.

my main question is about how to take off the ECU harness.

i have gone as far as "unlocking" the harness via the "white clip" like the pictures from the previous posts.

but does the harness come off even further??? <<< can someone please take a pic of the "full breakdown" of the harness???

what i did was pretty much just "unlocked" the harness via the "white clip" and slid a wire through PIN 40. <<< this i believe somehow is not "good enough" contact to the ECU itself.

i think this is what I'm stuck on, because i cannot establish a good contact from the wire to the ECU. i have the little connector pin, but just don't know how to break down the ECU harness to fit it onto PIN 40 of the harness.

HELP PLEASE.
lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #158
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

my main question is about how to take off the ECU harness.

i have gone as far as "unlocking" the harness via the "white clip" like the pictures from the previous posts.

but does the harness come off even further??? <<< can someone please take a pic of the "full breakdown" of the harness???

what i did was pretty much just "unlocked" the harness via the "white clip" and slid a wire through PIN 40. <<< this i believe somehow is not "good enough" contact to the ECU itself.

i think this is what I'm stuck on, because i cannot establish a good contact from the wire to the ECU. i have the little connector pin, but just don't know how to break down the ECU harness to fit it onto PIN 40 of the harness.

HELP PLEASE.
I just put together a quick DIY on removing the connector, pulling the plug, and inserting the pin:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...571#post451571
Old 03-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #159
goat1of2

Quote:

HELP PLEASE.
Lily,
I think the one thing which no one has explicitly stated yet is that you MUST have the special Toyota "repair terminal" to make this mod work for the 07-08 models. Just shoving any ole wire through the pin 40 hole doesn't cut the mustard. Did anyone get it to work that way?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #160
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Lily,
I think the one thing which no one has explicitly stated yet is that you MUST have the special Toyota "repair terminal" to make this mod work for the 07-08 models. Just shoving any ole wire through the pin 40 hole doesn't cut the mustard. Did anyone get it to work that way?
A few people have done it with the "ole wire" method. It certainly can work that way, but will be more prone to stop working and to potentially let moisture get to where it shouldn't.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #161
lily
lily

Drives: white plane jane
thank you CTScott for the write up.

i will give it another try this coming weekend and report back.

tune in...
lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #162
fratzica
Diesel Inside

So this is what I found under the steering column in my EU spec 08` Yaris D-4D.
I have the brown and blue wires but both in the wrong pin locations.
Sorry for the blueish color, i took the photos with my cellphone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_103.jpg (100.5 KB, 269 views)