Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
hondajt

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE 5Dr
How hard is it to change the brakes?

My wifes 2009 Yaris 5Dr L/LE with disc front's and drums rears are in need of brakes. She also needs tires. I normally prefer to do my own maintenance, but I hate having to bleed and pump and in general just work on brakes. So I'm going to have someone else do it. I've been doing some research and it seems most major automotive places that specialize in brakes, all suck. I'm referring to Midas and Jiffy Lube and places similar.

I live in ohio, which is HOME to the lazy mechanic. We have more auto repair shops than any other state (made that up but it sounds right, lol). So trying to find a decent mechanic is like a needle in a haystack.

Any advice? We don't need anything fancy, she drives it gently and we are pretty darn poor, so cost is a major factor.

Should I buy the parts from amazon and take them to a local mechanic that gets good reviews, thus saving me money on parts but not getting a warranty/guarantee because they were my parts; or just heading to a local mechanic and trust in his ability to do a good job and install the correct parts? I can't afford to take the car to the Dealer, so finding a local mechanic that gets good reviews seems to be my best choice, but I'm unsure.

Thoughts?

Sorry to ramble, it's my defense mechanism when I'm not confident about something, lol.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
chancellor6869

Drives: yaris hatch is the sh*t
the way i look at it is if you dont feel comfortable doing the job then its probably best to let someone who is to do it.....especially when it comes to brakes. those can either save or kill you.
chancellor6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
You don't need to bleed the brakes when changing pads or rotors, and changing both is extremely easy w/ thousands of videos online on how to do it.

It's smart to go online to look at reviews but in the end any time you take your vehicle to a shop you are taking a risk that things may not be done exactly as you would do it, for good or for bad
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
DO NOT goto Midas!
Old 06-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
There is nothing unusual for these cars when it comes to changing the brakes. Everything is quite straightforward. Brakes are one of those jobs any novice mechanic should be able to do well after watching a few youtube videos and reading the service manual. No special tools required other than a basic ratchet set, big-ass c-clamp, and I'd suggest a torque wrench. I'd say go for it. IMHO, disc brakes (front set) are easier than drum brakes (rear set) though that's because I'm a weakling and hate stretching the springs. :P

As for a warranty, you're in the US so I believe AutoZone will sell you lifetime parts even though you install them yourself.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
bairjo

I would also recommend that a clean and lube of the brakes in between pad changes. If not to keep things moving the way they should, do it as a general inspection for cracked pads etc.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #7
valchrist90731

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris sedan
I changed a 90s ford mustang pads very easy.

Youtube it.

You dont need to bleed the lines to replace brake pads.

The only time you bleed the lines is if you have air in the lines or the master cylinder or break booster went out.

If you push Down on the break pedal and the car does not break all the sudden like it use to or the break pedal hits the floor. Thats when you need to replace your master cylinder and or break booster and break fluid.

To do that it takes two people and good communication between the two.

Last edited by valchrist90731; 07-02-2015 at 01:30 AM.
valchrist90731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I you live in the rust belt, try to find someone to sandblast the caliper mount brackets in the anti rattle shim area.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote