Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #1
Ala2014

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
2007 Yaris S alternator overcharged battery, replaced both now no P/S

My car's Christmas present to me was to die during my drive home for the holiday. I had been having odd issue with seeing Battery light, SRS airbag light and P/S warning light come on and off and on again for a few weeks now, and no one could figure out what the issue was - battery and alternator kept checking out fine when I would stop and have them checked at AutoZone. And no codes were coming through on their code reader.

When it died, we finally realized the issue as it was clear the battery boiled over, and I could definitely smell the hydrogen sulfate that I've heard comes with this issue.

So here's what's been fixed/replaced:
battery
alternator
headlights (high beams were fine)
taillights
turning signal bulbs
fuse for horn

We (ok, my dad) has checked all the fuses (under the hood, on the positive battery terminal, and at the driver's foot under the dash) and they all make a beep on his voltmeter. We even had a friend with an intelligent tester check things out, and it came back that there was a communication error.

Current problem: P/S light on, no power steering assist, INT wiper doesn't work but lo/hi do, and driver side door window won't go down but other 3 will just fine. Car is running fine otherwise - no other dash lights on, and all other functions check out ok (cruise, radio, fog lights, etc).

Searched the forum to see what everyone was saying about P/S issues. Found that next we should probably check the DTCs manually. Wondered if anyone would like to offer other advice.

Thanks in advance! Crossing my fingers it's something we missed or an easy fix.

-April
Ala2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Normally I would say to check some specific fuses, but as the intermittent wiper function runs off the same circuit as the hi/lo and the door windows as well all run off just one fuse. My bet is that those devices were damaged by the over voltage.

For the power steering, check the 50A EPS fuse in the under hood fuse panel as well as the 10A ECU-IG fuse in the under the bottom of the dash panel. If the fuses are OK, then I suspect that the power steering ECU cooked as well.

If you need a new wiper stalk and power steering ECU, I have both on hand. Hopefully the power window issue is the motor and not the control switch assembly, as the motors are readily available and inexpensive versus the switch.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
Ala2014

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Appreciate your reply. I would be interested in the parts you have on hand. Mind PMing the cost, etc?

Thanks again.
Ala2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power steering