Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
07stlYaris
If Its Not Blown It Sucks

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Meteorite
Screwed maybe.

The clutch went out on my blitz and I'm having a heck of a time finding a replacement. I've got an email into Ogura but don't expect much. Any help is greatly appreciated.
07stlYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Your other option would be to weld it or replace it with a fixed pulley.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #3
07stlYaris

Would the fuel management unit still provide fuel enrichment based on throttle position if I chose to weld it? At idle I would probably run lean but otherwise would I be ok?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
07stlYaris

Has anyone ever pulled the clutch? Easy? Need a puller?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stlYaris View Post
Would the fuel management unit still provide fuel enrichment based on throttle position if I chose to weld it? At idle I would probably run lean but otherwise would I be ok?
You would have to leave the switch in "LOW" mode, so it adjusts the fuel with very little throttle. It should not effect idle.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
07stlYaris

I'll probably weld it and just move on from there. Do you know where the one member got the fixed pulley and if a replacement one of the factory Blitz size could be had?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:14 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The fixed pulley was a custom one-off. Blitz can send the whole clutch/pulley assembly, but it's about $600-800. They won't sell individual parts from it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:19 AM   #8
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
The clutch is almost certainly an automotive A/C compressor clutch. May want to take it in to a A/C place and see if they can match it.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #9
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
What were the symptoms of it failing? Mine has been acting up the last few days, but I haven't diagnosed it. Specifically it won't hold boost past about 3500 rpm--either it doesn't increase or it falls off.

I've looked around for replacement pulleys and I've had a hard time finding anything that matches. I'm pretty sure the connection on the pulley is a spline (not the typical 1:4 taper) but the clutch pad could be a common item.

I've also spent lots of time looking at Ogura's website, and nothing in their catalog matches the Blitz pulley. That said, I'm also looking for a 6-rib version to go with the pipe-dream 2ZR swap, so there may be some more intense research or manufacturing in the near future.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
My blitz had a bad clutch in the pulley so I just decided to have it welded, and I can honestly say it's well worth it to avoid all the extra cost and hassle of trying to get another clutch and parts.

All you need is to run a different fuel management and have it tuned. I'm running the AEM FIC6 with 1zz injectors and I haven't had a problem since.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
My blitz had a bad clutch in the pulley so I just decided to have it welded, and I can honestly say it's well worth it to avoid all the extra cost and hassle of trying to get another clutch and parts.

All you need is to run a different fuel management and have it tuned. I'm running the AEM FIC6 with 1zz injectors and I haven't had a problem since.
What about over-boost on deceleration? Don't you need a BOV or bypass, or is that a turbo thing?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #12
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
What about over-boost on deceleration? Don't you need a BOV or bypass, or is that a turbo thing?
Nope. That's only a turbo thing. The air going into the compressor is after throttle body so as soon as you take your foot off the throttle you are closing the supply of air going into the compressor.
Basically imagine the supercharger as a new intake manifold only it compresses air.
otherwise cars like Mustangs and Corvettes would need a blow off valve or bypass valve with their superchargers as well
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:47 PM   #13
07stlYaris

So the clutch spun the bearing on the snout enough to make it not worth my while to fix. The supercharger still moves freely but the clutch,despite all my cleaning and re packing of its bearings, still isnt stable enough to trust. I think if someone has access to a machine shop they could sleeve the snout but I don't have the time. So look for the whole thing in the items for sale area.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
07stlYaris

Sold. Thanks