Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
02echo

Drives: 2002 Echo 4DR Sedan 5SP
Exclamation P0440, P0441, P0446 + Unable to fuel vehicle

G'day All,

Looking for some serious help with my 2002 Toyota Echo. I can't really afford over $100 per hour to have the dealer diagnose the issue.

I've got a 2002 Toyota Echo with 135 000 KMS. Three weeks ago the engine light came on. Using my Ultra Gauge I retrieved the following notorious codes P0440, P0441, P0446. After hours of reading I figured the charcoal canister needed to be replaced at some point in time. Many people report having these codes/engine light on for years without issue.

Then 2 days ago I went to fuel up and the gas pump would just click off after only pumping about half a litre of gas. It just kept clicking off. This is a major issue because if I can't fuel the car, then it's useless, lol.

I love the car, it gets babied, and returns 50MPG to me!

So, is this refueling issue also related to the canister? The weather was very hot and humid when I tried to fuel the car so I am wondering if that may contribute? I tried refueling at a couple different stations and no change. The weather is still very hot and humid though.

I have checked alllllll the EVAP connections on the canister under the car. Check for spider webs, blew compressed air through all the lines, checked the VSV on the intake, inspected those lines, inspected the fuel filler neck and could not find any holes or leaks.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd hate to buy a canister, $400+, to still have a refueling problem.
02echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
don't top off

BTW, do you top off your tank?? That will kill your charcoal canister. First click, stop and go on your way. IF you are not comfortable replacing your canister yourself, check with an independent garage.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
02echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
BTW, do you top off your tank?? That will kill your charcoal canister. First click, stop and go on your way. IF you are not comfortable replacing your canister yourself, check with an independent garage.
Thanks for the reply. So you think it's the canister preventing me from filling up?

I've owned the car for 6 months and 10 000kms and YES I have over filled the tank a good number of times.

I am comfortable changing the canister except for that one skinny tube with a plastic connector, I can't seem to disconnect when I was doing my troubleshooting. Do you know how to disconnect this tube?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
02echo

I just installed a used charcoal canister and I can now fuel the car without the pump clicking off. Thanks for all the help!

BTW does anyone know how to properly remove the clip circled above?