Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
tC injectors cured my lean condition

I installed a set of tC injectors today to see how they would affect my AFR under WOT boost. Shortly after installing them, I drove around to see if idle and low throttle would be affected. I threw CELs twice for a rich condition.

P0101 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1)

After clearing the codes both times, the codes never came back. I'm guessing that the ECU eventually learned how to cut back on the fuel to keep the A/F mixture stoich.

First video is of a freeway acceleration with the S/C turned off. I tried to go WOT but there was too much traffic. Even at near WOT, the AFR stayed at stoich and timing was well advanced. The video is not as clear as I'd like and I need to find out if it is the screen capture program or Windows Movie Maker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohEyY0FAM2U

Second video is a WOT acceleration with 7lb boost. I used to read a 14.7 AFR while doing this, which many said was bad for the engine. In this video AFR bottoms out at 12.03 on the data logger. On my wideband gauge, the reading is 10.5 or something close. Lean condition is gone when the car goes into open-loop acceleration. While maintaining speed, sometimes the boost levels are from 1-3lbs and put the car into open-loop. You see max rich condition there too.

Don't know why there's a difference in the readings. During DFCO, the wideband tops out at 16, the data logger tops out at 18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxesjWxczJo

I need to find a lull in traffic and try this again.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Wow, 10.5 on the wideband @ WOT/openloop/under boost. Wonder how low it would drop if you had your stock airfilter on.... hmm. Strange it didn't help during your DFCO.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Did you give Garm a big kiss , or did you get them else where.
congrates on sorting it all out ,
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
LtNoogie

Thanks but the tuning continues. Now, I really understand the desire to have an ECU that one can map.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
Wow, 10.5 on the wideband @ WOT/openloop/under boost. Wonder how low it would drop if you had your stock airfilter on.... hmm. Strange it didn't help during your DFCO.
During DFCO all fuel is cut off so the wideband and built-in wideband will always detect lean.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
PETERPOOP

mine stops at 15 and not 16. but i know what you're saying.

yah, i can't wait to tune mine either. :)
Old 05-02-2009, 02:13 AM   #7
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Congratulations!
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
awww, glad to see they went to good use. congrats Noogie.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
LtNoogie

Thanks to you Garm.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #10
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
Told ya Peter! Bigger Injectors FTW lol

MunkyWurks Garage - 8088488794
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
PETERPOOP

? There were threads about using bigger injectors before you came up with the bright idea.

My lean condition was fixed without bigger injectors anyway.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
LtNoogie

Peter, there's more than just trying to cure the lean condition. If you study the art of inector sizing, and it is an art. Bigger injectors give the potential for bigger HP because more fuel is burning. You can't go too crazy big or else you'll have other driveability problems.

Part of my quest for more tuning is to cut back on the fuel a little when I'm not boosting. I'm getting a CEL every time I start up the car which I have to clear. Not a biggy with my Dyno-Scan but a nuisance.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
So wait noog your running rich now?

Why don't you try the 1zz Fuel injectors instead?

MunkyWurks Garage - 8088488794

Last edited by gwasabi; 05-02-2009 at 03:31 PM.
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwasabi View Post
So wait noog your running rich now?

Why don't you try the 1zz Fuel injectors instead?
I'm looking for some right now, cheap. I figured a 1.8L Corolla should be using slightly larger injectors than the 1.5L Yaris but not as much as a 2.4L tC.

The alternative is a boost compensating fuel regulator. I'm getting more fuel than I can handle (CELs) when I'm at low RPMs and am still running rich at WOT. I may want to regulate my fuel pressure down a bit to cure the rich non-boost situations and let the regulator bump up the pressure one pound for each pound of boost.

It's a never-ending disease, this wanting to tweak the car. And I haven't even started collecting the parts for water/meth injection yet.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
It's a never-ending disease, this wanting to tweak the car.
amen, brother. And when you finally get tired of this one.... you get another one.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #16
LtNoogie

Oh really? I was hoping that there were ways to tweak the Lotus Elise that comes after the Yaris.

The Yaris is prep school for me so that I learn the basics of performance tuning.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #17
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
Peter, there's more than just trying to cure the lean condition. If you study the art of inector sizing, and it is an art. Bigger injectors give the potential for bigger HP because more fuel is burning. You can't go too crazy big or else you'll have other driveability problems.

Why are you telling me this?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:31 AM   #18
LtNoogie

Because it sounds like you are ready to stop at the putting on the stock airbox. I say get yourself some 1zz injectors!