Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
pierdeux

Drives: Toyota Tercel
Yaris vs Corolla, Yaris vs Matrix

Still dithering about my purchase of a Yaris...
[All prices below are in Canadian dollars and include administration fees, freight, delivery, tire duty, and various taxes. They don't take into account my haggling the salesperson...]

Would people have strong views about the choice between the following two cars? (Reliability, driving, room, etc.)
  • Yaris (Sedan) 2010, 4 doors, automatic transmission, basic model (no ABS). 40 mpg. $(CAN)18,400.
  • Corolla 2010 CE, 4 doors, automatic transmission, basic model (includes ABS). 37 mpg. $(CAN)19,000.

--------

If I'm willing to cough up a little more dough, what about the following comparison?
  • Yaris Hatchback 2010 LE with Convenience Package, 5 doors, automatic transmission. 40 mpg. $(CAN)21,300.
  • Matrix 2010 FWD, 5 doors, automatic transmission, basic model. 35 mpg. $(CAN)20,300.

-----------

As I do a lot of inner city travel and I therefore use public transport or cycle as much as I can, I only do about 8,000 miles per year, these days. This means that I would spend a mere $200 extra in gas expense to drive a Matrix compared to a Yaris...
pierdeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
I have a 08' Carola and just bought a '10 Yaris (5 door not a sedan). I think the factory seats in the Carola are more comfortable. If comfort is critical to you, get your dealer to park all three models next to each other so you can see which feels best to you. With the cars right next to each other, you'll have no doubt which fits you the best. We did that when we bought my wifes Carola and the only reason we got a Yaris this time was because I like the looks of the Yaris over the Carola.

The Yaris Sedan that you quoted is without ABS. ABS is really a choice of personal preference. Cars without ABS can stop faster in certain situations than those with it, depending on the drivers skills. If you use public trans a lot, then you can avoid driving when the weather is really bad, so ABS might not be a big deal either way. I prefer non-ABS cars but since my kids are going to driving them I bought both with ABS. Insurance for cars with ABS tends to be a little cheaper but the cost of buying a car with ABS is often more than you will save in insurance costs.

Other than that both the Carola and the Yaris are fun to drive, get good mileage and are safe enough that I'm comfortable letting my 16 year old drive either one. All of them are good choices, just pick the one that you like the best or that fits you the best.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierdeux View Post
Still dithering about my purchase of a Yaris...
[All prices below are in Canadian dollars and include administration fees, freight, delivery, tire duty, and various taxes. They don't take into account my haggling the salesperson...]

Would people have strong views about the choice between the following two cars? (Reliability, driving, room, etc.)
  • Yaris (Sedan) 2010, 4 doors, automatic transmission, basic model (no ABS). 40 mpg. $(CAN)18,400.
  • Corolla 2010 CE, 4 doors, automatic transmission, basic model (includes ABS). 37 mpg. $(CAN)19,000.

--------

If I'm willing to cough up a little more dough, what about the following comparison?
  • Yaris Hatchback 2010 LE with Convenience Package, 5 doors, automatic transmission. 40 mpg. $(CAN)21,300.
  • Matrix 2010 FWD, 5 doors, automatic transmission, basic model. 35 mpg. $(CAN)20,300.

-----------

As I do a lot of inner city travel and I therefore use public transport or cycle as much as I can, I only do about 8,000 miles per year, these days. This means that I would spend a mere $200 extra in gas expense to drive a Matrix compared to a Yaris...
What's up with those prices? They make no sense at all. The Corolla is about the same price as a Yaris sedan (both base models)? And the Yaris Liftback is similar to the Matrix and more than the Corolla??

In this case, I'd say get the Corolla. In the US, a base Corolla is about $4,000USD more than a base Yaris. The Matrix is like $4-5,000 more than a Liftback. So is the Camry the same price too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stove View Post
I have a 08' Carola and just bought a '10 Yaris (5 door not a sedan). I think the factory seats in the Carola are more comfortable. If comfort is critical to you, get your dealer to park all three models next to each other so you can see which feels best to you. With the cars right next to each other, you'll have no doubt which fits you the best. We did that when we bought my wifes Carola and the only reason we got a Yaris this time was because I like the looks of the Yaris over the Carola.

The Yaris Sedan that you quoted is without ABS. ABS is really a choice of personal preference. Cars without ABS can stop faster in certain situations than those with it, depending on the drivers skills. If you use public trans a lot, then you can avoid driving when the weather is really bad, so ABS might not be a big deal either way. I prefer non-ABS cars but since my kids are going to driving them I bought both with ABS. Insurance for cars with ABS tends to be a little cheaper but the cost of buying a car with ABS is often more than you will save in insurance costs.

Other than that both the Carola and the Yaris are fun to drive, get good mileage and are safe enough that I'm comfortable letting my 16 year old drive either one. All of them are good choices, just pick the one that you like the best or that fits you the best.
What's a "Carola"???

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post

What's a "Carola"???

Wow, not only did I misspell it but I did it at least 4 times... I knew it wasn't a good week to quit sniffing glue.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
What's up with those prices? They make no sense at all. The Corolla is about the same price as a Yaris sedan (both base models)? And the Yaris Liftback is similar to the Matrix and more than the Corolla??
I was thinking the same thing, but I checked the toyota canada site and the price difference is about 1000 dollars. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that air conditioning is an option.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
pierdeux

Quote:

[...] So is the Camry the same price too?
Just for fun, here's the list of current Canadian prices (all taxes and so on included, minus $1000 for old Tercel in exchange), all automatic base models:
  • Camry LE: $29,000
  • Prius Liftback: $32,000
  • Venza: $33,800
  • Avalon XLS: $47,100
Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Kal-El

The current conversion rate: $1.00USD = $1.025CAN

These prices you are listing are absolutely outrageous (Avalon especially).

So that would translate into the Avalon costing $45,794.86 in the US.

The actual MSRP for the Avalon XLS in the States is $32,245.

So for what you guy's pay for an Avalon, we could buy the same Avalon + a Yaris.

No offense, but I ain't moving to Canada anytime soon.

(sorry, I know we're a bit off topic)
Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Yeah, that's insane!
Wonder if they add VAT in Canada?

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
pierdeux

Quote:
The current conversion rate: $1.00USD = $1.025CAN

These prices you are listing are absolutely outrageous (Avalon especially).
It's a known fact that that the auto market in Canada is more expensive than in the US, but your analysis over-emphasizes that: you have to remember that, over the past three years, the Canadian dollar gained 50% in value w.r.t. the US dollar (or, if you look at it the other way, that the US dollar lost 33% of its value w.r.t. the Canadian dollar). Car prices did not fully compensate that change, but neither did Canadians' salaries -- hence the situation is most disadvantageous to an American who would (for some strange reason) want to buy a car in Canada...

(The prices quoted, for Quebec in this case, include a combined 13% tax.)

That said, I suspect Canadians (and Quebeckers in particular) would recoup a fraction of the difference on cheaper insurance costs... (But then, who buys a car because they'll get a good deal on insurance???)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
canadian prices are high relative to US prices....get used to it americans

i didnt realize a base corolla would be so close in price to a base yaris sedan...doesnt seem right...you including a/c and stuff?

anyhow, the yaris will likely yield the best real-world mileage of the 3. i havent read anything spectacular about real-world mileage for the gen2 matrix....quite the contrary, actually (in 1.8 but especially the 2.4)

corolla would have more room and amenities, so for the $600 difference, id lean corolla....whats the difference in insurance like between the 2 cars?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Bredayaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 vvti cvt
You guys are complaining for nothing

A Yaris 1.3! hatchback automatic (cheapest) costs: 21.946 USD in the Netherlands (ok we don't have a Yaris without ABS for example but it's a 1.3)

A Corolla 1.6 automatic costs: 31.496 USD.

A Prius (basic) costs: 34886 USD, relatively cheap because we have a good enviromental policy for ''clean'' cars, also no road taxes etc.

A Auris (hybrid) costs: 30859 USD.
Bredayaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bredayaris View Post
You guys are complaining for nothing

A Yaris 1.3! hatchback automatic (cheapest) costs: 21.946 USD in the Netherlands (ok we don't have a Yaris without ABS for example but it's a 1.3)

A Corolla 1.6 automatic costs: 31.496 USD.

A Prius (basic) costs: 34886 USD, relatively cheap because we have a good enviromental policy for ''clean'' cars, also no road taxes etc.

A Auris (hybrid) costs: 30859 USD.
Geez, looks like owning a "cheap" car is a luxury in a lot of countries.

A large percentage of Americans still won't look at compact cars and will only buy mid-size and full-size cars that often cost twice as much.

We can buy a new BMW or Mercedes (not that I'd want one) for the price you pay for a Corolla. Yet we still feel cars are too expensive.