Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
cast

Drives: 2007 hatchback
Sound deadening questions

I am thinking about sound deadening my 3 door liftback. I would like to know which areas are more important or cost-effective to work on?

From what I have read, this will be the list

(1) doors
(2) floor
(3) hood and firewall?

Did I get it right? Is deadening the doors more effective than the floor?
cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24585

Take a look. It covers all of those points you're asking about. I also mention that the roof on my sedan's roof will be finished in the middle of April when I get back from Iraq. I also will have a nice little system in by the end to the middle of April. You might want to keep your eyes on this one. It'll be worth the wait.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
cast

man, you really did a great job!

You mention you really like the result as for now. Do you still think doing the roof will be necessary? I guess it can probably get rid of more of wind noise. Sometimes, I am afraid of doing a project like this,because it never ends....:)

BTW, I saw some dynaliner and Ensolite on the pictures. What are those? how many different kinds of material did you use?
Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I have enjoyed the results greatly. For my purpose I absolutely want to do the roof. I just had the car's windows tinted but I may actually go one more step and have a security coating put on the windows as well. From my understanding, it may actually reduce wind noise a little.

With the system that is about to be installed and the reason for it, I want to make sure the Yaris is as quiet as it can be. I'm trying to make the car as sonically efficient as possible. Why? So I don't have to crank the volume up. I have great headroom from my signal chain and I want to have the lowest noise floor possible.

Dynaliner and Ensolite are slightly different foams that assist in the absorption of certain frequencies of sound. I used the Dynaliner on the rear doors because my wife packed up my Ensolite into storage while I've been here in Iraq. Having never been to the storage unit, I didn't want to dig around while on R&R. So, the sound shop owner just cut me a deal on the Dynaliner so I could do the back doors (and so he could clear the box off his sales floor). That Dynaliner I used is very nice. It is also thick at a 1/2 inch. As you could tell from the little video snippet, it works well.

I think I'm the first customer of his that has taken a VERY personal interest in doing my own install with his support. His only other customer that has something even close to me had him do all the work. I've just gone so much farther into what is going on that I make the other customer look like a 5th grader.

I'll also be fabbing up some under dash pads to close off the semi-open dash area that a lot of cars have (at least by the driver's side). This will allow my mid-range speakers less "junk" to reflect off of and work in a controlled area down by the kicks. The top of the dash will also have a dashmat put in. The classic dash mat carpeting "soaks" up the reflections off the windshield from the A-pillar mounted tweeters and will stabilize the imaging of the entire component system.

The other reason I'm deadening the roof is what will be in the trunk. Two Image Dynamics IDQ 12 4 V3 subwoofers pushed by an Image Dynamics ID Q1200.1 amplifier loaded to 1 Ohm. Yeah...if anyone has ever had two good 12"s pushed with PLENTY of power...

The enclosure will be directed through the heavily deadened back deck 6x9 mounting holes. What happens when the pressure comes through the back deck? It travels up the glass and reflects off the roof. That's why. :)

I'll be posting the roof and back deck deadening amongst MANY other tutorials here in a month. I'm 20 something days away from coming back home off this deployment in Iraq...

Keep watching. I want to show everyone what can be done with this great platform.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
dalchemist
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3dr Liftback
Hi cast.

I read sqcomp's sound deadening post for my own mod. I think thats the best place to start. My criteria was most soundproofing for least work/cost. I focused on two easy areas.

So I did Front/Back foot area without removing the stock insulation just putting insulation on top. That made it somewhat quieter 1-2db. It reduces the engine noise. Then I removed the rear speaker paneling and trunk area panels and covered the rear wheelwell with insulation. The car has very little insulation in that area. Road noise is greatly reduced. At idle with windows closed it sounds like the engine is turned off. At 80 miles an hour cruising the highs come in much more clearly on stock speakers (next mod). The whole thing took about 6 hours 4 hours for the trunk/rear and 2 hours for the front/back seats. The job made my 1000 mile road trip more enjoyable. I don't have any pictures but its the same as sqcomp basically.

To do it cheaply use Premium carpet underlayment from Lowes. $50/100sq ft. I used only one layer so I have 70 sqft left. It has a moisture barrier on top in case it gets wet and its eco friendly recycled material. Almost any dense layering will do. Also important is double sided tape for the rear wheelwell to get strong contact between the foam and the metal.
dalchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
cast

Sqcomp, thanks for the explanation. I will keep an eye on your project. Have a safe trip in Iraq.

Dalchemist, interesting idea about carpet underlayment. I will check them out in Homedeopt. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Cast, pay close attention to sqcomp, he is doing a great job I can't wait to see how he is going to finish his Yaris, I really want to do the roof but I don't feel comfortable on do in it by my self, I'm going to watch sqcomp do it.

I'm working on my car, a little slow; it's time consuming but it's fun, I enjoy every hour I spend on this project.

Check out this little video clip I made:

VIDEO

It gives you an idea on what all this is about.

D.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post

The top of the dash will also have a dashmat put in. The classic dash mat carpeting "soaks" up the reflections off the windshield from the A-pillar mounted tweeters and will stabilize the imaging of the entire component system.

Keep watching. I want to show everyone what can be done with this great platform.
Sqcomp,

Do you think adding some 1/8 foam under the DashMat would help with acoustics?

My point is to absorb some wind and watter noise when raining and driving at highway speeds coming from the windshield.

Thanks
Derick