Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #55
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
sounds like a lot of work

looks like it would of been better just to get the USDM cluter, its a bit more but at least everything will read out in MPH rather then KM.

I would buy a car with a swapped cluster that was in KM

It's definitely not a trivial swap, but the USDM ones with a tach seem to be pretty hard to come by.

Now that you mention the km issue, I realized that I can do the conversion in the data sent to the cluster so that 100 kmh = 100 MPH.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #56
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It's definitely not a trivial swap, but the USDM ones with a tach seem to be pretty hard to come by.

Now that you mention the km issue, I realized that I can do the conversion in the data sent to the cluster so that 100 kmh = 100 MPH.
Jesus Scott now THAT'S impressive

I'm loving this thread!
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #57
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
It is looking like the two possible solutions for it may be:

1. Install an ABS equipped ECM (but then the question is if you have an ABS ECM without actually having ABS will there be any issues).

2. Build a device that simulates the broadcasting of the speed data. This one sounds crazy, but is actually not that bad. With my YarGauge development work, I have a reference design that I can use. I can already read the speed from the ECM, so I just need to repackage that data into the correct message for the cluster.

Provided that I can figure out the CAN messaging for speed (or that the Prius message ID is the same and therefore I already have), then this is actually fairly simple. And, the hardware that I am using is not too expensive, so I should be able to provide a packaged solution for about $30.
For solution 1, I would have to ask Gideon if he could volunteer for an ECM swap to try that out....(very low possibility of happening, i think)

CTScott, if you could construct a device that broadcasts the speed data, I'd be willing to take that chance and option MORE than a ECM w/ ABS running on a car without an ABS system. I'd rather not have problems down the road w/ an ECM enabled for something and the actual car not having it at all.

CTScott, I'm willing to put down an extra $100+ towards your R&D work (seriously, just ask Gideon) to make the cluster work....

I'm keeping fingers crossed its the same message data from the Prius.

Converting 100 kmh to actual 100 mph? As awesome as it sounds, wouldn't the speed limiter have to be set to 120 kmh then, I dont think the car can handle going 180 kmh ~ 180 mph.....?
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #58
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
For solution 1, I would have to ask Gideon if he could volunteer for an ECM swap to try that out....(very low possibility of happening, i think)

CTScott, if you could construct a device that broadcasts the speed data, I'd be willing to take that chance and option MORE than a ECM w/ ABS running on a car without an ABS system. I'd rather not have problems down the road w/ an ECM enabled for something and the actual car not having it at all.

CTScott, I'm willing to put down an extra $100+ towards your R&D work (seriously, just ask Gideon) to make the cluster work....

I'm keeping fingers crossed its the same message data from the Prius.

Converting 100 kmh to actual 100 mph? As awesome as it sounds, wouldn't the speed limiter have to be set to 120 kmh then, I dont think the car can handle going 180 kmh ~ 180 mph.....?

It actually wouldn't affect the speed limiter, as I would be getting the "correct" data from the ECM, and then broadcasting the adjusted data to the cluster.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #59
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Quote:
Noooope. Not messing around with my ECU. Sorry.

This seems like a huge headache, I'm glad you have the patience and drive to get this to work.

Although I can give you a partial refund and give you my Canadian cluster. I forget what year it was from, but it was off of a Yaris w/o ABS that way you at least have a tach.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #60
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Noooope. Not messing around with my ECU. Sorry.

This seems like a huge headache, I'm glad you have the patience and drive to get this to work.

Although I can give you a partial refund and give you my Canadian cluster. I forget what year it was from, but it was off of a Yaris w/o ABS that way you at least have a tach.
Nope not letting you finish off the Vitz RS transformation

Could you reconfirm that the Asian/Canadian cluster was off from a non-ABS Yaris? If thats the case, would an ECM w/ ABS work with the cluster on a non-ABS car...? hmmm....

Last edited by Kioshi; 10-19-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #61
CTScott
ULTIMATE

OK - Big time progress. I captured the speed CAN messages on my 09 while driving my little one to dance class tonight. When I got home I analyzed the data and sure enough it is the ECM sending the speed to the cluster.

Here is a quick video of me telling your cluster that I'm revving up to 52 kmh. I have the cluster hooked up to Garm's 07 ECM on my desk with the core processor for my YarGauge project sending the messages that the ECM isn't:

Speedometer.jpg

Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #62
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

You were right on dot suspecting the ECM to be the cause.

So could the core processor be somehow enabled to send speed signal to the cluster, via ECM?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #63
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
You were right on dot suspecting the ECM to be the cause.

So could the core processor be somehow enabled to send speed signal to the cluster, via ECM?
Yes. My solution #2 is spot on. I can have my core talk to the non-ABS ECM to get the speed, and then retransmit it as the message that the cluster needs (and I can do the kmh to MPH translation).
Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #64
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Nice.

I'm still a bit confused about the kmh to mph translation/conversion....

Ie: if i were driving 60 kmh looking at the cluster, it would be transmitted as 60 mph if to be clocked by a radar gun? If so, then i would not have any use of going beyond 120 kmh?

Thanks Scott.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #65
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Just imagine the letters "mph" instead of "kmh" - the numbers on the speedo will be the same.
That way, whatever you see on your speedometer will be the mph reading. (if I understand correctly)
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #66
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Nice.

I'm still a bit confused about the kmh to mph translation/conversion....

Ie: if i were driving 60 kmh looking at the cluster, it would be transmitted as 60 mph if to be clocked by a radar gun? If so, then i would not have any use of going beyond 120 kmh?

Thanks Scott.
Correct. If I translate it then when you are doing 60 MPH the pointer will be at the 60kmh line. It would mean that the pointer would never see the right side. I wonder if that's how it works when they get reflashed from kmh to MPH, or do they change the overlay to correct the scale?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #67
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Correct. If I translate it then when you are doing 60 MPH the pointer will be at the 60kmh line. It would mean that the pointer would never see the right side. I wonder if that's how it works when they get reflashed from kmh to MPH, or do they change the overlay to correct the scale?
Would this effect the rpm of the car then (relate correct rpms to engine speed), i guess i would just reach redline a lot sooner haha...

I can find the answer out tomorrow from Speedo, the place i will go to get my odometer flashed to correct mileage on my car currently...
Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #68
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

CTScott - If it's too much trouble of translating kmh to mph, i wouldn't mind not having it done on the cluster. I kind of feel bad that I kind of reined on Lewis's cluster and had you work on mine before his, and his being the first priority...
Unless Lewis is okay w/ it, then yeah...

It would be a learning experience for me to adjust myself to kmh as well...so yeah I wouldn't mind not having it translated if its to much time consuming~
Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #69
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
ok with me Kioshi- we'll need to clone Scott- one genius is not enough!
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #70
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The kmh to MPH conversion is no big deal (and would allow a metric cluster to be used without reflashing). I also realized that if the cluster has lower mileage than your car, I can change the ODO with no problem (the cluster doesn't speed limit, so I can feed it max speed {255 kmh}) until it gets to the correct mileage). So this would mean that the clusters could be used without reflashing.

Many of these things which I am learning with Kioshi's cluster will have applicability to Lewis's cluster as well. Even though he has ABS, if he decides to sell, rather than use the cluster, the non-ABS cluster converter could come in handy.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #71
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

From what i remember, the RS cluster has 6080 kilos on it. My USDM cluster has roughly about 27,980 miles...

That would save me a trip to Speedo to get the cluster reflashed. That'd be really nice if you could adjust the odometers to the correct ones on my cluster. If you could let me know before you get to that step, I can give you the exact or a higher estimated number that i have at that time...

True, you could sell multiple copies of the non-cluster converter unit to those wanting to swap in the future.

P.S. with your cluster converter, this is going to be all plug n play, correct? I dont want to be splicing wires and whatnot, esp that smal of a gauge wires..lol

On a second thought, I'd actually like to see the needle hit the other side..dont know why :)

Lewis - so true

Last edited by Kioshi; 10-20-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: thoughts running in my head
Old 10-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #72
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
From what i remember, the RS cluster has 6080 kilos on it. My USDM cluster has roughly about 27,980 miles...

That would save me a trip to Speedo to get the cluster reflashed. That'd be really nice if you could adjust the odometers to the correct ones on my cluster. If you could let me know before you get to that step, I can give you the exact or a higher estimated number that i have at that time...

True, you could sell multiple copies of the non-cluster converter unit to those wanting to swap in the future.

P.S. with your cluster converter, this is going to be all plug n play, correct? I dont want to be splicing wires and whatnot, esp that smal of a gauge wires..lol

Lewis - so true
Sounds good on the ODO piece.

As for plug and play, it will be fairly so. The module will have require four tap splices to existing wires. They can be done at the cluster or at the OBDII port.

I still have to sort out the indicator issues as well. For those I can do cuts and jumps on the circuit board so you don't have to swap any wires.