Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #73
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
As for plug and play, it will be fairly so. The module will have require four tap splices to existing wires. They can be done at the cluster or at the OBDII port.
Your going to have to tell me how to do that, I've never tapped any wires into any other wires at all. I think the OBDII port would be easier, longer wires? Wires to the cluster seem very short and very little space to work with...

I think you can guide me on this later, when the cluster arrives to me...
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #74
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
Your going to have to tell me how to do that, I've never tapped any wires into any other wires at all. I think the OBDII port would be easier, longer wires? Wires to the cluster seem very short and very little space to work with...

I think you can guide me on this later, when the cluster arrives to me...
Agreed. The cluster wires are as tight as banjo strings. there's a good amount of slack at the OBD port.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #75
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
Maybe an obdII plug?
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #76
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
Maybe an obdII plug?
That would be an option, but since it's driving the speedometer, I'd want it more permanent.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #77
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

If tapping wires into other wires is easier than what I'm making it seem in my head, I'd go for that route (waiting on Scott's instructions ). Techinically, I'd like to keep the OBD II port open for something like..scangauge in the future...and like Scott said, for speedometer, so it should be permanent..

I've soldered wires, thats about it, but that was on R/C cars w/ 12 gauge wires~
Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #78
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Quote:
Nope not letting you finish off the Vitz RS transformation

Could you reconfirm that the Asian/Canadian cluster was off from a non-ABS Yaris? If thats the case, would an ECM w/ ABS work with the cluster on a non-ABS car...? hmmm....
Nooooooes!!

Actually, I just got an email that one was found, a 2007 RS cluster so it'll be here in a few weeks. (Although it's for an auto tranny, so we'll see how that goes.)

The Canadian cluster I have was off of a non-ABS Yaris. That I can confirm because I bought it from IKQ and they're pretty top notch on reporting.

What was originally sold to me as the "mad jdm tyte" cluster, I still don't know where it came from, so I don't know anything about it other than it worked in my car. I have the Canadian in my car right now, and the Euro (I'm guessing) cluster is in pieces as I try not to obliterate it by changing the LED colors for fun.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #79
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Nooooooes!!

Actually, I just got an email that one was found, a 2007 RS cluster so it'll be here in a few weeks. (Although it's for an auto tranny, so we'll see how that goes.)
son of a bitch, there's no way to stop you, is there?

I guess it'll be named as the infamous Asian cluster. You say Canadian, but I only see kilometers on the cluster and no mph....strange....

I'm sure the RS cluster will work on your car....

You got PM..lol
Old 10-21-2009, 12:34 AM   #80
advocate

Drives: car
Do I see a swap occuring? And jesus james how many clusters do you have? If you have an extra one at the end of all this madness with a tach I'll probably buy it off you with the HIDs. Assuming I can pay off these damn seats in the next century
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #81
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Update on progress with the JDM one:

I can read the vehicle speed from the ECM and send it to the cluster, so the pointer does the correct thing. The issue I am having now is that I can not reliably get it to increment the odo. There are two extra bytes in the CAN message that thus far I can't make sense of (nor find any documentation for). I'll have to do some more watching of data from my 09 to try to make some sense of it.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #82
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Update on progress with the JDM one:

I can read the vehicle speed from the ECM and send it to the cluster, so the pointer does the correct thing. The issue I am having now is that I can not reliably get it to increment the odo. There are two extra bytes in the CAN message that thus far I can't make sense of (nor find any documentation for). I'll have to do some more watching of data from my 09 to try to make some sense of it.
To increase the kilometers on the odo to the correct ones on my stock cluster?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #83
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
To increase the kilometers on the odo to the correct ones on my stock cluster?
That, and just having the odo function correctly.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #84
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Is the odo taking a slower time to show accurate kilo/miles traveled? Or just misses a few odometers every now and then?

I dont know if this would help or not....i know my stock cluster (adjusted) the miles/kilos i drove testing out the RS cluster. You could try to see after driving a bit, that if the RS cluster adjusts the miles it just did right after starting up your car again....?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #85
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Is the odo taking a slower time to show accurate kilo/miles traveled? Or just misses a few odometers every now and then?

I dont know if this would help or not....i know my stock cluster (adjusted) the miles/kilos i drove testing out the RS cluster. You could try to see after driving a bit, that if the RS cluster adjusts the miles it just did right after starting up your car again....?
It's only incrementing 1/10 km every once in a while (like one or two per hour). I am thinking that the extra bytes are some form of security in the packet to make it difficult to modify the odo data.

That auto update is interesting. The ECM separately receives and stores the mileage, so the cluster must grab a delta from the ECM on powerup. So far I have identified one message from the ECM to the cluster and four from the cluster to the ECM (which send the ECM the indicator status).
Old 10-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #86
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
It's only incrementing 1/10 km every once in a while (like one or two per hour). I am thinking that the extra bytes are some form of security in the packet to make it difficult to modify the odo data.

That auto update is interesting. The ECM separately receives and stores the mileage, so the cluster must grab a delta from the ECM on powerup. So far I have identified one message from the ECM to the cluster and four from the cluster to the ECM (which send the ECM the indicator status).
Those extra bytes can be override somehow when the odo gets reflashed though....

Is there any companies in your area that do odo reflashing? I was thinking of paying you to get it reflashed by a company and do a trial run to see if the odo is functioning correct kilos/miles traveled.....

I can do it here through Speedo, but just in case there is any adjustments that need to be made to the cluster itself, it'd be easier and in your hands already to take a look at and do.... (just a thought)
Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #87
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Those extra bytes can be override somehow when the odo gets reflashed though....

Is there any companies in your area that do odo reflashing? I was thinking of paying you to get it reflashed by a company and do a trial run to see if the odo is functioning correct kilos/miles traveled.....

I can do it here through Speedo, but just in case there is any adjustments that need to be made to the cluster itself, it'd be easier and in your hands already to take a look at and do.... (just a thought)
The extra byte issue has to do with making it function correctly on a daily basis. The reflashing is completely different.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #88
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

I see.

Toyota really has to make it complicated from jumping 1-2 years ahead in the car model...
Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #89
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Any update on the message ID deciphering? Also, a bit thinking ahead, but what happens if out of those 11 remaining messages there is no link to the odo? Could you make another unit that helps the odo to increment accordingly?

I mean, i could...drive it as is, but i would have to calculate how many miles i drove whenever got back home....
Old 10-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #90
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Any update on the message ID deciphering? Also, a bit thinking ahead, but what happens if out of those 11 remaining messages there is no link to the odo? Could you make another unit that helps the odo to increment accordingly?

I mean, i could...drive it as is, but i would have to calculate how many miles i drove whenever got back home....
It's been a busy weekend, but I did make some progress Friday night. I have deciphered how the cluster sends the mileage back to the ECM, but am still working on the other direction.