Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #19
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Hey Scott, is it suppose to only turn on when the doors are opened, and don't turn on when the dome light is set to on? That's how mine is acting, and I just installed some LED strips on my gf's Civic, and her's does the same. Any way to have the strips turn on when the dome light is switched to the on position as well as when the doors open?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Hey Scott, is it suppose to only turn on when the doors are opened, and don't turn on when the dome light is set to on? That's how mine is acting, and I just installed some LED strips on my gf's Civic, and her's does the same. Any way to have the strips turn on when the dome light is switched to the on position as well as when the doors open?
Yes, when you connect it under the dash, you either get always on or, switched with the doors. To have them switched with the manual switch on the dome light, you'd have to get a wire up to the dome light switch.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #21
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Yes, when you connect it under the dash, you either get always on or, switched with the doors. To have them switched with the manual switch on the dome light, you'd have to get a wire up to the dome light switch.
Dang. I might just get a switch and redo everything. Get the positive to a constant power and place a toggle switch somewhere hidden. I'm thinking this is more than I can do on my own, so I'm going to have a friend help me out this time and learn so that I can redo my gf's Civic. Thanks for replying, Scott.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Dang. I might just get a switch and redo everything. Get the positive to a constant power and place a toggle switch somewhere hidden. I'm thinking this is more than I can do on my own, so I'm going to have a friend help me out this time and learn so that I can redo my gf's Civic. Thanks for replying, Scott.

Buy a single pole dual throw switch (SPDT), and then you can use it to switch the ground leg between the door input and the chassis ground. That way it will act just like the dome, but with a separate switch for the constant on mode.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #23
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Buy a single pole dual throw switch (SPDT), and then you can use it to switch the ground leg between the door input and the chassis ground. That way it will act just like the dome, but with a separate switch for the constant on mode.
Which one is the chassis ground? How would I connect the two grounds to that switch?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #24
Kaotic Lazagna

So, there's three terminals on the SPDT. I'm assuming I would keep the splice wire in the ground you told me before, cut it on the other end, add a female connector to the end, stick it in one of the terminals on the SPDT (assuming left or right one); find the chassis ground (wire?), splice a wire to it, connect a female connector to the other end, connect it to the SPDT; take the negative wire from the LED strip, solder a female connector to it, and connect it to the top terminal?