Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Vette Moto

Drives: xB
Hooking up Rostra to Factory CC Stalk? xB Related

Hi all,

Brief intro: I have a 2006 xB and I believe there is a lot of commonality with the Yaris, 1.5L 1FNZE, so I thought I'd come over here and ask some technical questions from you gurus as there aren't that many technical people over on the other forum.

Here is my story: my xB came with a TRD steering wheel with a factory cruise control stalk. I believe the steering wheel was removed from a Celica. I have not opened anything yet, but will dig into everything once my Rostra comes in.

My question is: Can anyone share their experience with hooking up a factory Toyota cruise control stalk to a Rostra? I believe I just need a factory CC stalk wire to get this hooked up properly to the Rostra, is there anything else I am missing?

Here are some pics of my CC stalk.

Vette Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
B2FiNiTY

Drives: Prius C
you already check with clubxb.com ?
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Vette Moto

Yes, there weren't many experienced or familiar with my custom (really a TRD wheel with factory cc stalk) setup.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The Rostra kit uses its own proprietary stalk, which is not compatible with an OEM Toyota stalk (even one of the older generation ones like you have with that wheel). You would have to use the Rostra stalk, or gut it and attempt to transfer its innards to the OEM stalk.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Vette Moto

I believe through some hard wiring and matching up wires, it may work, at least that is what I was able to gather on the web from other people doing this....(I still have hope!)

Wiring matching or gutting, I will do whatever it takes to get this factory stalk functional :)
Old 09-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
I know you're new here, but whatever CTScott says is usually on the money. He's the guru here. (Yes, "the" is italicized.) He even had a DIY Cruise Control for the Yaris here.

Perhaps his DIY Kit could work on yours? I don't know. He'll have to chime in on this. But the Rostra is more "stand alone".
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
I know you're new here, but whatever CTScott says is usually on the money. He's the guru here. (Yes, "the" is italicized.) He even had a DIY Cruise Control for the Yaris here.

Perhaps his DIY Kit could work on yours? I don't know. He'll have to chime in on this. But the Rostra is more "stand alone".
My DIY will not work on his car, as his is a cable throttle, so it is a completely different setup than the Yaris.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Vette Moto

Thanks all for the input. I will try to figure something out.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Moto View Post
Thanks all for the input. I will try to figure something out.
I opened up the Rostra stalk, that I have on hand, last night. The Rostra uses much lower resistances for the switch functions than the OEM stalk does, so you would have to pop open the OEM stalk and swap the resistors with values to match the Rostra stalk.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:53 AM   #10
TerribleTim

Drives: 07 base 3dr 5spd blue. Got new
Hey. i'm new here. Just pulled off the steering column cover and under dash covers to install a Rostra I bought about two years ago on ebay and am just now getting around to putting in on my 07 hatch. Went pretty well and works good. I like TBW for cruise, takes all the challenge out of it. I think I paid about $240 for it. Which is high. Has a 3 yr warranty so I wanted to get it in pronto.

Anyone know anything about the notice in the Rostra box about using two way radios and CC interference?? Wonder if this applies to CBs and if its been fixed?

I was wondering what the cost of the parts for the Scott diy kit is? Running wires thru the firewall to the ecu is what I wanted to avoid with the TBW setup, but if the cost delta is enough, I can do it. Did I mention my garage in Phoenix is 110F in August.

The Rostra kit has the indicator lite, but it only shows power to the CC, not whether its engaged. i got spoiled by Hondas. Even my wifes Matrix has no lite for engage (its no starship). The Matrix CC switch has a cancel function by pulling the stalk toward you which disengages and saves the speed without flashing the brake lites which is nice.
The Rostra stalk is rigid with buttons instead of movement like direction signal stalk. It takes some getting used to. Also, the stalk printing is designed for a left side mount, which is awkward. It only took about 90 minutes to install tho.

While I was in there, I disconnected the daytime running lite relay and put a paper clip in the clutch switch connector which is an annoyance. I also passed on my CC clutch switch which did come with the rostra. I figure if I push in the clutch on the hwy with the CC on, I deserve to blow it up. I drove a Civic with a diy aftermkt CC for years without a clutch switch and never had a problem. Most of these ecu's hav rev limiters anyway.

On another subject, I bought some adjustable Camry seats cheap at the boneyard because I find the Yaris seats uncomfortable on long road trips. Anyone else have this problem or is it just my old man's back?? Need to weld up some mounts for them, but they look to fit well if I can get the height right and they're gray which is a good color for this interior (that took some hunting).

Anyway, this is a great forum and very helpful with lots of well documented info. The 34 page doc for the diy CC install is excellent and I've written a lot of assembly instructions for harnesses and electronics in my career.

Next project for Yaris is a tach and coolant temp, oil pressure, volt gauges. Maybe a manifold vacuum as they're fun to watch.
TerribleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTim View Post
Hey. i'm new here. Just pulled off the steering column cover and under dash covers to install a Rostra I bought about two years ago on ebay and am just now getting around to putting in on my 07 hatch. Went pretty well and works good. I like TBW for cruise, takes all the challenge out of it. I think I paid about $240 for it. Which is high. Has a 3 yr warranty so I wanted to get it in pronto.

Anyone know anything about the notice in the Rostra box about using two way radios and CC interference?? Wonder if this applies to CBs and if its been fixed?

I was wondering what the cost of the parts for the Scott diy kit is? Running wires thru the firewall to the ecu is what I wanted to avoid with the TBW setup, but if the cost delta is enough, I can do it. Did I mention my garage in Phoenix is 110F in August.

The Rostra kit has the indicator lite, but it only shows power to the CC, not whether its engaged. i got spoiled by Hondas. Even my wifes Matrix has no lite for engage (its no starship). The Matrix CC switch has a cancel function by pulling the stalk toward you which disengages and saves the speed without flashing the brake lites which is nice.
The Rostra stalk is rigid with buttons instead of movement like direction signal stalk. It takes some getting used to. Also, the stalk printing is designed for a left side mount, which is awkward. It only took about 90 minutes to install tho.

While I was in there, I disconnected the daytime running lite relay and put a paper clip in the clutch switch connector which is an annoyance. I also passed on my CC clutch switch which did come with the rostra. I figure if I push in the clutch on the hwy with the CC on, I deserve to blow it up. I drove a Civic with a diy aftermkt CC for years without a clutch switch and never had a problem. Most of these ecu's hav rev limiters anyway.

On another subject, I bought some adjustable Camry seats cheap at the boneyard because I find the Yaris seats uncomfortable on long road trips. Anyone else have this problem or is it just my old man's back?? Need to weld up some mounts for them, but they look to fit well if I can get the height right and they're gray which is a good color for this interior (that took some hunting).

Anyway, this is a great forum and very helpful with lots of well documented info. The 34 page doc for the diy CC install is excellent and I've written a lot of assembly instructions for harnesses and electronics in my career.

Next project for Yaris is a tach and coolant temp, oil pressure, volt gauges. Maybe a manifold vacuum as they're fun to watch.

The Rostra kits were recalled in Canada because of the 2-way radio susceptibility. I don't know what frequencies it is susceptible to. The Rostra kit is definitely more complex to install than my OEM solution kit. With my kit for an 06-08 you do have to run one wire from the ECM through the firewall, but there is an existing grommet right above the ECM connector to go though, so it is a quick process.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
TerribleTim

Tnx Scott.
Bought my Rostra too early.
I may call the Rostra tech support in Carolina and ask what's up with the RF.
Will update.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
TerribleTim

Called Rostra with three questions. They're service sucks. The tech knows nothing & they make you register online before calling!! WTF?

Their unit is still not compatible with two way radios like business or CB. Possibly trip CEL. Cell phones OK.

No gain adjustment on the unit. Kind of slow response. Good for A/T and no hunting.

Mine locked up on the test drive once when I hit off switch. Wouldn't engage when I turned it back on. Reset ok by powering off car for a few minutes. Problem would not reproduce. They said call back if it starts recurring.