Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
barmagan

Drives: yaris
[D-4D] increased fuel consumption and black smoke

Hello all,
I bought a 2007 Yaris d-4d terra (second hand). But recently my fuel consumption is increased by 20%. When I puch throttle, black smoke comes out from the exhaust (transmission at idle). First I brought the car to a technical service but they said they had to chamge all injection system and alot of parts.... and it will cost 4000TRL ($3000). So I bought a ELM327 OBDII scanner(with ScanTool.net v1.13 software). I didn't know any thing about OBDII related things till last week. My previous car was made in 1991. I am trying to figure out the problem. Any help will be appreciated.

DTC is 0101 ("Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem")

MAF sensor reads 7.44 g/s at idle and it changes with throttle upto 27g/s. I don't the nominal readings but I think it should be ok.(is it?)

The interesting thing is "Intake Manifold Pressure" does not change with the throttle. It constantly reads about 100kPa (changing between very slowly 98-102kPa)

I thought that there is "Intake Manifold Pressure" sensor. I tried locate this sensor in 2007 Yaris Repair Manuals but motor in the manual is (vvti) not similar to my diesel.

And one more thing. Even before these problems occured there was a little fuel leakage from one of the pipes after the times that I pushed the car a little hard. And also some exhaust gas smell in the car. Novadays I don't feel the smell.

NOTE: I can't find the VIN number. Probably it is removed or left under the last paint. Is it needed for more sensor readings? ScanTool doesn't read VIN. Can I read VIN via OBDII? I have considerable knowledge in programming(both windows and embedded). I guess I can write some code to read VIN with some info.

Thanks,

B.Armagan
barmagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
VIN number might be under the little flap in the carpet under the passenger seat.

Not to many US folks if any at all have diesels.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Black smoke can mean only one thing=unburned fuel,i'd suspect an oxygen sensor or a broken fuel injector, i doubt a 2007 toyota Yaris needs a $3000 engine overhaul,i think your problem might be a minor adjustment/repacement of a sensor or minor component and i think your dealer is taking advantage of your lack of knowledge and basically ripping you off. you could try to find a Yaris car club in your area and ask them to recommend an honest mechanic,at the very least get a second opinion on what the problem might be.
Welcome to the forum barmagan
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Hmmm? check arrounf the throttle and all vacuum hoses you might have an air leak somewhere making the reading inacurate...
Old 01-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
My guess is that your mass air flow censor is bad, black smoke means it's not getting enough oxygen.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Censor huh?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
ibizagti

Drives: Yaris 5door D4D
Hello. I can´t help you, but I have a 2008 D4D also.

How can you read the maf and DTC´s? I´m trying to search a tool to scan the ecu.

Thanks very much from Spain!
ibizagti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
barmagan

Drives: yaris
Hi Ibizagti,
I used ELM327 OBDII scanner. But many more products available all around the world. This is one of the cheapest ones (I guess). But you'll also need a laptop with ELM327. There is affordable options with its own display such as ScanGauge (from http://www.scantool.net).
barmagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
The Scangauge displays all these parameters
http://www.scangauge.com/features/
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #10
suzukirascals

Drives: 07 4D4 yaris
my 2007 1.4 D4D has been playing up for a few months now. while driving at a steady pace & when i try to increase speed i loose throttle totally. I have to dip the cluch & pump the throttle a few times then it's ok for a while. this problem slowly got worse over time (even tho i fitted new fuel filter). However on the way home from work yesterday it did it again only this time it would'nt recover & it's constantly blowig black smoke. I suspect it's the sensor or a split pipe so i'll let you know how it goes.
suzukirascals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
HartmannX

Drives: Yaris 2003 1.4 D-4D
When black smoke, lag off power, poor throttle response - Tjeck/clean or replace your EGR valve. this is the first step is this case (how i understand your problems)

Carbon builds up over time, sometimes the valves get stuck or do not FULLY close when you put the pedal to the metal ;-)
The fully close thing is very importent and WILL give black smoke/lag off power....

Best regards - A Danish Authorized Toyota Technician.
HartmannX is offline   Reply With Quote