Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Bigs

Drives: 2008
Anyone install a Hatch lock plunger?

I just got this 08 lift back, and love the little car.

One thing that I am struggling with is the lack of a lock plunger for the hatch. Am I missing something or is the only way to lock/unlock the hatch is w/ the key? I had an old 3 door civic before and it had a little plunger w/ an orange ring on it, so you could
1, visually verify the hatch’s locked status
2, lock the hatch before you closed it w/o the key

anyone done a mod for this, I haven’t taken it apart too much, but I did pop the little cover off and found there is something in there I can move to lock/unlock it. Just need to extend that up to the top and install a plunger of some sort.

Thanks
Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It sounds like your car does not have power locks. You can add the power lock actuator from one with power locks. The other option is to switch the whole hatch lock assembly to a Scion IQ hatch switch. I have done that on with my 09, which had power locks, and my 08, which I upgraded to power locks. With my Scion IQ switch system the hatch switch is automatically disabled when the doors are locked and active when they are unlocked.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39677
Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Bigs

Drives: 2008
Thanks Scott,
correct, I do not have power locks

Slick system you have on yours,
Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigs View Post
Thanks Scott,
correct, I do not have power locks

Slick system you have on yours,
so, your best bet would be to start with adding power locks. An aftermarket kit, like the one I used on my Red one, can be had for under $150 (including keyless entry) from a place like a1-electric.com. OEM Hatch lock actuators can be found for around $50 or you can go with something like my IQ mod.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I actually ran my echo hatch with the cover off.. as it wasn't covering much anyways. So i always simply put my hand and flip the switch to lock the hatch. LOL

If i wanted to know if the hatch was locked? Try to open it.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Neurotic Hapi Snak

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3dr
CTScott, does your IQ actuator mod work with the factory keyless entry? Is there any other keyless entry module from another Toyota that has the remote hatch open function that could be swapped in?
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic Hapi Snak View Post
CTScott, does your IQ actuator mod work with the factory keyless entry? Is there any other keyless entry module from another Toyota that has the remote hatch open function that could be swapped in?
My mod would work fine with an OEM keyless entry equipped Yaris. You wouldn't have the pop functionality, since the Yaris remote doesn't have a separate hatch button, but the lock and unlock would work correctly. A module from another vehicle wouldn't help, as the Yaris Body ECU communicates with the keyless receiver and the Yaris one would not support the additional function.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Neurotic Hapi Snak

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
My mod would work fine with an OEM keyless entry equipped Yaris. You wouldn't have the pop functionality, since the Yaris remote doesn't have a separate hatch button, but the lock and unlock would work correctly. A module from another vehicle wouldn't help, as the Yaris Body ECU communicates with the keyless receiver and the Yaris one would not support the additional function.
That's too bad, would be nice to have a hatch pop button.
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic Hapi Snak View Post
That's too bad, would be nice to have a hatch pop button.
I would have to do something creative, like have my module look for a double or triple press of the unlock to signal a hatch pop.