Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
ketel0ne

Drives: 2007 Liftback Blazing Blue
Yaris Boosts Starter-Car Segment

Much more at link: Yaris Boosts Starter-Car Segment

Quote:
The new Yaris returns Toyota to its origins in the United States as quality basic transportation. This car is much like the 1968 Corolla — a small, basic car that is well made and practical with an everyman price.

First launched in Europe in 1999, the Yaris was named the 2000 European “Car of the Year” and has become Toyota’s best-selling model in the European market. Yaris was also named “Japan Car of the Year,” marking the first time the same vehicle captured both honors in the same year.
Purchase / Browse Images
Shop with us

Unlike its predecessor, the unlamented Echo, the Yaris is moderately entertaining to drive — particularly with its five-speed manual transmission. Despite a modest ration of horsepower, it moves along pretty well, and behaves like a little gentleman on sinuous back roads. Freeway rides are undisturbed by wind or engine noise. The rack-and-pinion steering is fairly responsive, and the newly developed suspension system, with MacPherson struts up front and rear torsion beams, keeps the car stuck to the road on turns.

I took my Medium Silver Metallic Yaris hatchback to the kickoff reception of the Cal-Met automotive weekend, featuring Nash Metropolitans. I attended as a Metropolitan owner, but was shy about driving my 50-year-old car at night with its nonfunctional headlamps. So, I drove what is probably as close as you can get to a Metropolitan in basic transportation today. In 1956, the Metropolitan cost about $1,450, which translates into about $11,000 in today’s money. The Yaris three-door hatchback starts at $10,950.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote