Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
Tamara

Drives: 2007 Five door Yaris hatchback
Please help me out

very interested in the pic. Stupid dealership wants to replace both sides for $1200 per side! WTF. Car drives fine...no ABS and the damn lights are on...but thats it. Can you send me that pic?
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #20
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Use brake cleaner on the outside of the sensor and electrical contact cleaner on the inside portion where it connects. Hopefully that fixes your problem.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #21
Tamara

Drives: 2007 Five door Yaris hatchback
OK! We need to be stirring the pot with this. I have been in contact with my steal-ership and theyre now offering up 300bucks towards the fix, and Toyota Canada is willing to chip in a bit too...HOWEVER, since I will be bringing my car to my local mechanic, as he was willing to attempt the cleaning fixes that are recommanded throughout this site (which WORKED for my left rear sensor, but my right rear sensor is still f'd), Toyota is not willing to chip in towards the parts or service as its not being performed by their overpriced inexperienced mechanics. So, we need to push Toyota Canada to do a campaign to have all Yaris's brought in and either have the connectors on the ABS harness cleaned/replaced, and/or have the company engineers design a better cover to protect these VERY sensitive circuits from our harsh Canadian climates to prevent them from corroiding.

Come on Toyota....fix this problem before we make it become a safety recall. You admit it yourselves on your website that ABS is better...and we did pay extra for it.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #22
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
No it dosen't!! TPMS is an entirely different symbol.

In the thread that devinlamothe referred to, I found the latest post to be very interesting. It actually indicates there may be an owner addressable cure.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=154
I guess u dont know ur car lol
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Ehh, I'm going to go ahead and say since 99% of complaints are from toronto, ontario, or other places in canada, someone already did the math and found its your crappy sand/salt mixture that is destroying vehicles, and not really a design flaw.
That's funny cause there are lots of different cars Toronto, Ontario, and I'm pretty sure not all of them have the problem.

On a different note:
My abs is fine now, but why did Toyota feel the need to turn on more then the abs light. If just my abs is not working i would not care(as I've done when the speed sensors stop working on older abs cars I have), but making both lights turn on makes it so you won't know if there is an actual problem with the car. That's just trying to force people to make a repair, which is not urgent unless you are a bad driver.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #24
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
I guess u dont know ur car lol
???

Explain yourself.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #25
fidgell

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3 door
So, its been a few months and the problem hasnt returned!!! Ive switched back to summer wheels so shouldnt see it again this year at least... anyway here's pictures of the affected site for those who messaged me. Sorry it took so long
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010995.jpg (198.0 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg P1010997.jpg (134.2 KB, 849 views)
fidgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #26
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
I know your pain. I to have a 2007 sedan with ABS. After 71000 miles it started acting up this winter with the brake like and ABS lite bouncing in and out. With the postings on this board I was able to determine living here in New Hampshire that I was experencing the same issue as our Canadian counterparts with the rear wheel speed sensors and wiring harness' and corrosion. I called my dealer and had them order the parts for both sides to fix the issue. There is a huge back order on these parts and it took them almost 3 months to get them. I had purchased the extended warranty on my Yaris and after explaining the issue to the dealer he aggreed to eat the 100 deductable and fix my car with no expense to me.

No problems since and hopefully non will show up again.

Yes Toyota should issue a recall. They issued a TSB in June of 2008 about replacing these parts in northern climate regions but only if the customer complained. Hence they knew of the problem and should correct it at no charge regardless of mileage and time owned.

Good luck.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #27
UltraHotAaron
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Thumbs up fidgell's fix worked for me

After receiving a $900.00 quote from the local Toyota dealer to replace the two skid control sensors on my girlfriend's 2007 Yaris, spurred by the dreaded stuck ABS and Brake warning lights, I decided to give Fidgell's resolution a shot. I cleaned the terminals on the sensors with some sensor safe brake cleaner and then cleaned the tiny male terminals in the sensors themselves with a tiny piece of emery board. I topped everything off with some dielectric grease and sprayed the outside of the terminals with Gunk's connector sealer. The ABS/brake lights went off after driving about 5 yards (not sitting on the jack stands, however.) I cannot believe we saved $900, which the dealer would have happily pocketed, with about 40 minutes work and a $10 trip to the auto parts store. Drove the car about 50 miles since. No return lights. Thanks for your post fidgell! I know you posted it a while ago, but I am sure you have helped countless folks since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgell View Post
I had these two lights come on last week, and ABS didnt work during that period. Yesterday I jacked the car up, took off the rear wheels and fixed it myself - I have only a basic knowledge of fixing stuff, the most Ive done on the Yaris to date is change front rotors/pads so no expert knowledge required!

Once the wheel is off you will see a plug - the only one you will see - on the rear of the drum near the axle. A small screwdriver is needed to push the plug (gently) off the socket and hey presto....Get cleaning! I used a compressed air cleaner like one would use on a PC keyboard to clean the snow/crap out then WD40 to clean. Cleared any excess off with the air again then put the plug back. Finally a little grease on the small gap between plug and socket and wheel back on.

I got in turned the key and drove off.... NO lights on.... ABS working as it should.

I suggest everyone do this BEFORE going to the dealer as it will save you a fortune. It took 20 mins to do both sides and is as easy as taking off the wheel!

Southern Ontario weather does cause problems to the little car, but this is a free fix... well free if you have cleaning products already in the house!

If anyone wants it, PM me and ill go outside and photograph the plug area for you... But I dont know how to post it on here so ill have to email it!!! Proof its easy to do eh?
UltraHotAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #28
bcolwill

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4DR Hatchback
Possible Resolution

I have a 2007 Yaris which I purchased from my mother-in-law in December 2009 with only 3500 KM on it. Not long after I had the same problem as many here. Brake lights on and disabled ABS when driving in salt & slush. I was able to obtain the code pointing to a rear speed sensor. This past summer I purchased some dielectric grease at CDN Tire, removed the connectors at the rear wheels, filled the stationary end full of the grease and plugged them back in. Since I have done that I have yet to see the problem appear again.
bcolwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #29
jleipz

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I am having this same issue- ABS and Parking Brake Lights both on- it comes and goes.

My question is: Do the fault codes get stored after the ABS and PBL go out? Can you only get the fault codes when the lights are on?
jleipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
chr1s

Drives: Toyota Yaris
How to remove the rear wheel ABS connector?

Hi all,

I've got the dreaded ABS light and Brake light illuminated together...
I've managed to remove the outer cover for the sensor plug but i can't get the actual plug off. Does anyone know how this connector comes off?
chr1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #31
jaggerdog

Drives: Orange Yaris Hatchback
Anyone who says that this connector is not faulty needs to take a look at it. There is clearly no rubber seal or boot to cover. This whole thing is an engineering over sight. Fixed mine today with vasoline cost $0. looking for some boots to cover these in the future if anyone finds some thing please post it.
jaggerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #32
yaris tt

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan
Need help . Resently my abs light and the slip symbol came on on my yaris both lights remain on all the time i dont know what to do . . I wonder if this is happening because i remove the shocks cuasr i was trying to put lowering springs but dint work out , so i asssembly the sock together again , then the two lights came on ... During the process i dint touch or remove any sensor. Does some one have any idea why the lights are on . ?????? . Help please .
yaris tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #33
yaris tt

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan
I know why allready .
yaris tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #34
keljai
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris
if anyone can provide a video of the removal of the plug and adding of the grease that would be fantastic!! Please and thankyou
keljai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #35
nelson_fernandes
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2008
ABS

Hi i have a similar problem. The mechanic says the wheel bearings were not fitted proplery.
nelson_fernandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #36
bubu

Drives: Yarsis 2007
I had the same warnings on the back ...
1 replaced warranty ...2'nd paid for...
replace abs sensor + cable
bubu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, abs warning light, brake warning light