Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Vince87

Drives: 2007 2DR Yaris
Annoying driver door rattle

Hi guys!

I have this annoying driver door window rattle when it's fully closed only (and it's like only 50% of the time, if I turn it down only 1-2 mm it stops). It has been there since the day I bought the car (26 000 km, now at 59 000 km). I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem (couldnt find any when googling it) and if so what they did to fix it.

AFAIK, it's probably the weatherseal that doesnt hold the window thight or a loosen screw on the mechanism.

From an Aygo forum "same problem here and found it was the seal along the top part of door, every now and again I apply some silicon to the seal, i.e. furniture polish or something similar, the door vibrates slightly against the seal and hence it sounds like a rattle, when lowering the window the tension is relieved and the door moves ever so slightly away from seal.I found the problem when driving along I placed my fingers between the door and seal and gently applied enough pressure to move the door ever so slightly out , the noise went off."

Do you think I should try this silicon thing? I dont have any furniture polish should I try something like Simonize? Thanks for your help!
Vince87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
toyota has a recall on the window bolts on camry/corolla/yaris/ and several other cars. if you have the gold colored bolts, then you got the recall. and that's the first symptom. what'll happen is the bolts either break or back out and then the window drops and breaks.

either way, you need to pull the door panel and inspect in there. may be a loose bolt or broken bolt, could be a broken clip...could be anything. just poke around in there or bring it to dealer.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Vince87

Drives: 2007 2DR Yaris
Thanks!

I will remove the door panel myself to see if I have those golden bolts before going to the stealership... Someone has the reference for the TSB on the golden bolts?

EDIT : I googled it and all I could find is a recall on Matrix/Corolla/Vibe with power windows, my Yaris has crank windows and its a 2007 model bought in 2006.
Vince87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I also have this annoying rattle, but there is no outstanding TSB or recall for my car, according to the dealer. It's a 2007 3dr hatch. The rattle happens when the window is fully closed, and it usually goes away if I open the window a hair.

I opened up the door today, and the rattle is definitely coming from the regulator. Theres a metal X that slides in two tracks. Where the X meets the track bolted to the door frame, there is some play, and that's where the rattle is from. But I can't get my head in there to look around, and the only way I can think of to silence it is super glueing it shut permanently. Not going to do that, but this noise is driving me mad.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
BobTheYaris

Drives: '08 Yaris HB 2 dr
So the drivers side my '08 with manual windows has rattled for years when its partially down. But over the last few months its started doing it with the window up and its getting more frequent.
BobTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:16 PM   #6
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Lots of complaints but no solution...take door panel off find problems, with auto windows use blue lock tight on screws usually come loose at the scissors ends.
This problem is mainly on auto windows as for manual it would be a similar procedure....just saying
30 min and problem solved or if not technically inclined take car to shop.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote