Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Bri36475
Yaris DIYer

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2006 1.0
Toyota Yaris 2006 ABS reluctor rings

Anyone replaced or cleaned reluctor rings on Yaris Mk2 (2006)?

I have had an ABS light on for months, downloaded a workshop manual and the fault code given is 35 - this can mean dirt on the ABS sensor tip or on the reluctor ring.

I have taken the sensor out, cleaned it, still ABS light comes on after driving off self-check....

I am now thinking its the reluctor ring itself - I have tested all the wiring by pulling off the ECU connector and testing back to each sensor so theres not a lot more left to test!

Has anyone done this? according to the manual it requires removing some suspension parts to get the driveshaft out of the hub to examine the ring...
Bri36475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The ring is assembled onto the shaft, so if the ring needs replacing it is typically easiest to just replace the entire shaft. The ring is a very simple device though so you are far more prone to having a bad sensor than a corroded ring. You can actually view the ring through the sensor hole, with the sensor removed, or you can pull the knuckle (if you are working with the front) to get a full view of it.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Bri36475
Yaris DIYer

Thanks for that, I did look through the hole were the sensor is but I was struggling to see the teeth? Looks like smooth metal, is the ring off to one side?

I have tested the sensors already by comparing resistances.

I hope the ring hasn't come off!!
Old 11-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri36475 View Post
Thanks for that, I did look through the hole were the sensor is but I was struggling to see the teeth? Looks like smooth metal, is the ring off to one side?

I have tested the sensors already by comparing resistances.

I hope the ring hasn't come off!!
The sensor is a hall effect sensor, so measuring resistance does not mean much. You really have to watch its output with an oscilloscope to know if it is working.

The ring does not have pronounced teeth. They are more like small grooves. As long as you don't see piles of rust through the hole, then the ring is fine. There is no way that it would fall off.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Bri36475
Yaris DIYer

Thanks again.... Since cleaning the sensor the ABS light has been on/off continuously as I drive, definitely got the correct wheel! as it was not doing this before, the system is working when the light is off.....

Looks rusty inside the hole towards the ring and the ring appears completely rusty- the only way I will know for sure is to pull apart the steering knuckle , or could I spray some brake cleaner in the hole?

I will update when I get round to this.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks again.... Since cleaning the sensor the ABS light has been on/off continuously as I drive, definitely got the correct wheel! as it was not doing this before, the system is working when the light is off.....

Looks rusty inside the hole towards the ring and the ring appears completely rusty- the only way I will know for sure is to pull apart the steering knuckle , or could I spray some brake cleaner in the hole?

I will update when I get round to this.
You could try brake cleaner.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Bri36475
Yaris DIYer

OK I will trust your judgement, I'm more comfortable with the tecchy stuff than mechanical.......

Connecting an oscilloscope is a good idea, although this could be tricky to setup as the car would need to be driven.

The manual gives voltage ranges for the sensors , but again the vehicle would ideally need to be moving to get a good reading.

The best solution would be to send it for a diagnostic but I'm loathed to hand it over to Toyota, most back street garages only do code reads which doesn't really help!!
I don't mind spending time as it would cost hundreds to send it to the dealer...
Old 11-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK I will trust your judgement, I'm more comfortable with the tecchy stuff than mechanical.......

Connecting an oscilloscope is a good idea, although this could be tricky to setup as the car would need to be driven.

The manual gives voltage ranges for the sensors , but again the vehicle would ideally need to be moving to get a good reading.

The best solution would be to send it for a diagnostic but I'm loathed to hand it over to Toyota, most back street garages only do code reads which doesn't really help!!
I don't mind spending time as it would cost hundreds to send it to the dealer...

Another option would be to pick up one of the clone Toyota Techstream tools off ebay.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Bri36475
Yaris DIYer

OK, had a look on eBay, not sure what I'm looking at...
I'm familiar with OBD via smartphone.

Is there a specific item I should look for? Is it PC based or handheld?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK, had a look on eBay, not sure what I'm looking at...
I'm familiar with OBD via smartphone.

Is there a specific item I should look for? Is it PC based or handheld?
Search specifically for "Techstream". It is only Windows PC based.