Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Tmblackflag

Drives: Car
Lower alternator bolt won't go back in, help!

Good morning,

I'm changing the accessory belt and have the old off and new back on. the manual says to set the tension, then tighten the top pivot bolt, followed the lower bolt.

On first try, i couldn't get the lower bolt to thread in properly. Seems it was off slightly which is odd because it looks like a straight shot through the front/back sides of the alternator.

I tinkered with the pivot bolt and tension a bit, and now i can't get the bolt to go in at all. Seems it goes in half an inch and then I'm stymied.

I've tried removing the pivot bolt and belt entirely, and am now sliding the alternator front to back while trying to get the lower bolt in, but it's simply not going.

Any ideas?
Tmblackflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Stick something smaller through (like a screwdriver) to make sure you have the holes somewhat lined up. Once that goes through OK, move up to something closer to the bolt's diameter. Also, check to make sure that the lower bolt is not bowed.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Yeah, there is zero tolerance for miss-alignment.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Tmblackflag

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Stick something smaller through (like a screwdriver) to make sure you have the holes somewhat lined up. Once that goes through OK, move up to something closer to the bolt's diameter. Also, check to make sure that the lower bolt is not bowed.
Sometimes we forget some of the tools we have. I stuck an adjustable mirror down there and the holes were indeed not lined up. Somehow, the pivot bracket had come lose and lowered itself, further pushing the alt out of alignment. I put on some gloves and lifted the alt up, then threaded that lower bolt in.

Job is complete! Thank you.
Tmblackflag is offline   Reply With Quote