Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Chill32

Drives: Yaris SE 2012
Am from sunny California and am moving to Boston soon.

I own a five door hatch back 2013 yaris and am wondering would it be able to deal with snowy conditions and also the if it could deal with the cross country drive to where I am moving.
Chill32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Yes and Yes.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Snow tires. That's all I will say.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill32 View Post
I own a five door hatch back 2013 yaris and am wondering would it be able to deal with snowy conditions and also the if it could deal with the cross country drive to where I am moving.
I think your Yaris will 'handle' the trip with aplomb . My Yaris has been in every state (except ID, MT, AK and, of course, HI) as well as DC and Ontario, Canada. I've driven on (as far as I can recall) asphalt, cement, gravel, and a wee bit of dirt. All without mishap (except trying to escape an accident backup on I-10 heading to New Orleans...but that = driver hubris , no reflection on the Yaris). Boston and LA might both be liberal cities in well populated blue states, but (IMO), one might think they are on different planets. Good luck .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
one might think they are on different planets
They are! One planet is Massachusetts & the other is California

Seriously your Yaris will be fine. I'd make sure you have a fresh oil change & check the oil as you stop for lodging. Don't forget to get GAS, then it will make it NO problem
Oh, and road munchies, and make sure you are rested & don't push the drive too much...make it fun & enjoyable.
Please have a safe trip, and please check back in.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
No problem cross country.

Echo what DevilGirl said, get a set of dedicated snow tires, makes an enormous difference. Ran my Yaris one winter w/o them and had no problems, but I got them because of my trips out to OH, it was only then I saw the marked improvement.

I'm on the South Coast of MA. and will be putting my Altimax Arctics on sometime next month.

Welcome to the Commonwealth, I actually plan on leaving as soon I can get a few things sorted.

I don't know how accustom you are to long drives, I just returned from a trip to OH, 744 miles, takes me 12-13 hours with one stop. That is my limit.

There is a phenomenon known as highway hypnosis which is quite real, I used to think it was all a bunch of Bravo Sierra. Not true. Don't push it pull over frequently, and be safe. Good luck! It's a big beautiful country we have here, enjoy it.

Cheers.

Last edited by NEexpat; 11-08-2013 at 05:55 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
They are! One planet is Massachusetts & the other is California
Old 11-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
It's a big beautiful country we have here, enjoy it.

Cheers.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe

Driving cross-country is so cool, it's neat to see how the landscape changes over the 100's of miles. Don't forget the Pringles!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
When driving cross country, it is probably a good idea to have some planned rest, fuel, and food stops along the way.

I prefer truck stops such as Love's or Pilot since they are open all hours, you can buy quality fuel, have clean restrooms, most have decent food options, and there are always helpful people around in case you need assistance. Simply put, there are some areas along the Interstates you will be unsafe if you stop, but truck stops overall are usually safe havens in the middle of the night.

Not sure about others, but I find about a 10 or 15 minute rest break to stretch my legs at a truck stop every two hours or so allows me to be a more alert driver on the road.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill32 View Post
What gives you the idea that your new Yaris wouldnt make a paltry 5K trip?
If you are going to be in the snow belt winter tires should be installed either when you get there or before the trip depending on what time of year you are making the trip.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
etherdude

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5-speed
I own a 2012 Yaris SE 5 speed here in the greater Boston area. Yours will do fine in the Winter driving. BUT, you definitely should get a set of snow tires. I recommend Tire Rack. I got a set of 15" GT wheels with 175/65-15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Yaris for around $650. I use the 16" stock SE wheels with 195/50-16 OE tires during the non-winter months. Plan on about 5 months with the winter tires and 7 months on stock tires.
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirapatec View Post
When driving cross country, it is probably a good idea to have some planned rest, fuel, and food stops along the way.

I prefer truck stops such as Love's or Pilot since they are open all hours, you can buy quality fuel, have clean restrooms, most have decent food options, and there are always helpful people around in case you need assistance. Simply put, there are some areas along the Interstates you will be unsafe if you stop, but truck stops overall are usually safe havens in the middle of the night.

Not sure about others, but I find about a 10 or 15 minute rest break to stretch my legs at a truck stop every two hours or so allows me to be a more alert driver on the road.

I hope you enjoy your trip.
^^^^^
I agree with this. I especially like that the pricing on prepackaged food at Love's and Pilot (which are now under the same ownership) is uniform and also not 'jacked up'. After my last trip, I plan to add my own version of your last suggestion re optimal circulation in my legs.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherdude View Post
Plan on about 5 months with the winter tires
I knew there was a reason I don't want to drive in the Northeast during the winter months .
Old 11-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I knew there was a reason I don't want to drive in the Northeast during the winter months .
Most of your winter driving will be on bare roads, the snow factor comes in for a week or so after a major snowfall which isnt as often as many southerners would think..
Also driving on snow with proper winter tires can be fun..
Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
Quote:
I agree with this. I especially like that the pricing on prepackaged food at Love's and Pilot (which are now under the same ownership) is uniform and also not 'jacked up'. After my last trip, I plan to add my own version of your last suggestion re optimal circulation in my legs.
In fact, I normally plan my long trips based on distance from truck stop to truck stop so my rest breaks, food/coffee breaks, and fuel-ups are at regular intervals. You will be amazed at how much better you feel driving long distances with a few breaks during the trip. We all know the importance of clean restrooms.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Most of your winter driving will be on bare roads, the snow factor comes in for a week or so after a major snowfall which isnt as often as many southerners would think..
Also driving on snow with proper winter tires can be fun..
Good to know . I've only lived in the South for the last 5 years. I grew up about 200 miles from Lake Tahoe (Squaw Valley, Heavenly Valley, etc.). I didn't start skiing until I was 13, but from the time I was 13 until about 25 I skied every area in the Sierras north of Yosemite through the north end of Tahoe except one (Northstar). I never had snow tires, only chains. When I was on a ski trip with my friends in high school I got into a 12 car accident in the steep parking lot on the California side of Heavenly Valley. The person who caused the accident (by parking in the middle of the road and staying in the car and then moving) was the only person who pulled a hit and run...so each person's insurance company ended up paying for just their own insured's damage. When I was on my first trip...years before, when I was not yet driving...(to Silde Mountain (now part of Mt. Rose), Tannenbaum (now closed), Squaw Valley, and Heavenly Valley, my experienced and mostly older friends (3 guys and 2 girls) managed to break the chains on the rear wheel drive car we were traveling in and get the chains wrapped around the axle (eventually untangled). I've taken both 'bus only' and 'fly only' ski trips from Southern California to Vail/Beaver Creek, Aspen/Snowmass, and Jackson Hole.....didn't have to do any driving on these and liked that very much.

What really freaks me out is ice. When we graduated from high school, my best friend and his family moved to New Jersey, north of I-78 and west of I-287. His dad had already been back there for over 6 months. My friend's sister was 16 when they moved and had obtained her DL in California. I went back to visit them right before Christmas and his sister had already totaled the family's new VW station wagon by losing control on a low speed limit road (on black ice) and hitting a tree.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirapatec View Post
In fact, I normally plan my long trips based on distance from truck stop to truck stop so my rest breaks, food/coffee breaks, and fuel-ups are at regular intervals. You will be amazed at how much better you feel driving long distances with a few breaks during the trip. We all know the importance of clean restrooms.
On the trip I just returned from I overextended myself one day. I planned to leave Bangor, ME...go south and visit the big L.L. Bean HQ/Campus/Store....then visit Kennebunkport....then to Newport, RI for the night. I left Bangor much later than I had planned to, had a great visit to L.L. Bean, got to Kennebunkport early enough to get a picture of Walker Point before the sun completely set, and then headed south. The detours and delays re road construcion, etc. in the Boston Metro area were unreal. Mapquest didn't reflect this. I got lost, but after driving around for a long time I recognized the terrain again and decided to head to one of the Starbucks in Framingham that I had been to on previous trips....and remap the rest of the trip from there. Hit one right as they were closing. Tried the second one, already closed. The third one was the charm (still open) and the barista could have worked for Mass DOT with her extensive knowledge of the current road conditions. She gave me great directions. As I got closer to Newport, I said 'Uh-oh' and knew I was getting a bout of Cellulitis. My doctor's assistant, over the phone, told me that my doctor wanted me to go to the hospital right away. I did and got an IV (antibiotic) in the evergency room and an oral antibiotic and then had to take both (orally) for 10 days and spent 4 1/2 days in my hotel room with my leg elevated. The hospital's listing of the cause: insect bites I'd 'suffered' 2 weeks earlier in South Carolina.

If I had had more of your mindset that 'travel day', I think I would have been better off.

In the future I also plan to make sure I continue (while traveling) to take the vitamins I normally take when I'm at home.