Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Rear brake issues still.

All new parts last summer.Everything is installed 100% correct.

Trying to tighten my shoes AGAIN!

I turn screw all the way down untill it cant go anymore and shoes still not touching drum.Therefore My handbrake is useless.Its been useless all winter.

I am seriously looking into disc upgrade but for know I need my ebrake to work.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
With the drums off, can you see any movement in the shoes when you apply the ebrake?

If not, then I'd say you have an issue involving the cables that connect to the one that feeds away from the ebrake handle. If there is movement in the shoes, then the star wheel needs massive adjustment.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
With the drums off, can you see any movement in the shoes when you apply the ebrake?

If not, then I'd say you have an issue involving the cables that connect to the one that feeds away from the ebrake handle. If there is movement in the shoes, then the star wheel needs massive adjustment.
Yes,but handle must be moved to the sky.

I just reassembled everything and might make appointment.Something is seriously wrong/broken.

About the star wheel it cannot be turned down anymore.Its at the end of its limits somehow.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
WeeYari

Post a pic of your rear brakes. Does not make any sense that you've been able to max out the movement of the star wheel adjuster. Brakes would bind if that is the case.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
About the star wheel it cannot be turned down anymore.Its at the end of its limits somehow.
You don't turn down the star wheel, you turn it up. With the adjuster removed from the assembly, it is possible to spin the threaded end completely out of its body. This means that you cannot max it out!

Old 04-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
There is no way you have maxed out the start adjuster for the shoes and the brakes are not binding. There is a lot of thread on the adjuster and you won't even come close to running out of threads even with no shoe friction material left.

You need to re set the cable at the e brake and then adjust your shoes. The e brake cable is likely stretched and you cannot adjust it any more as it is maxed out.

Either that or your cable is seized or your shoes/adjuster is not installed properly
Old 04-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
tmontague

Quote:
You don't turn down the star wheel, you turn it up. With the adjuster removed from the assembly, it is possible to spin the threaded end completely out of its body. This means that you cannot max it out!

^this
Old 04-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
Pinchlite

Quote:

This says down

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=12333&page=4

Anyway I talked to a mechanic at toyota and he says thats not even the proper way to adjust E brake.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #9
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
^this
Like I mentioned below you dont adjust ebrake with star.This is from what toyota mechanic said.

I am folling this tutorial and turn star just like pic mentions..http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=12333&page=4
Old 04-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
WeeYari

You adjust slack in the shoes with the star. If the shoes have too much slack, then the ebrake sensitivity is also affected. By down I am not referring to the direction you rotate the star.

Have you tightened the nut at the base of the ebrake lever?

Last edited by WeeYari; 04-20-2018 at 02:42 PM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #11
tmontague

If you do not use the star adjuster to adjust your e brake then you will end up with a maxed out e brake adjuster that becomes useless in time.

It actually makes more sense to only use the star adjuster to modulate the ebrake so you never have to worry about maxing out the e brake adjuster.

The star adjuster not only adjusts how soon the rear brakes grab but it also tightens up the e brake. But go ahead and use the e brake adjuster only and you will soon realize your braking feel decreases as your rear shoes will start to barely do any of the braking
Old 04-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #12
WeeYari

I'm confused about what OP has and has not done.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
Like I mentioned below you dont adjust ebrake with star.This is from what toyota mechanic said.

I am folling this tutorial and turn star just like pic mentions..http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=12333&page=4
The picture and explanation is ambiguous to those who aren't familiar with how properly installed star adjuster works.

First check that your adjuster only spins one way. It should only be able to be turned upwards and it should clicks as it turns. My sister in laws recently purchased used 07 Yaris had the same issue on one of the rear shoes. It looks like it is installed properly but the one of the ends of the star adjuster is flipped and because of that it will not ratchet. This leads it to always backing off and loosening your e brake.

I am also confused as to what you have actually checked vs what is being glossed over and assumed correct. Or just go to the Toyota tech you talked to and have him fix it. But trust us when we say you do not need to touch the adjuster at your e brake. All the adjustment can be had at your star adjuster even for those that track their cars. This is assuming that everything is installed correctly, and I am not all that confident this is the case here
Old 04-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #14
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Rear brake star wheel and emergency brake lever adjustment

Some nutty advice on this thread? Before starwheel/shoe adjustment, shouldn't the e-brake cable system be loose (hand lever down and cable adjustment at hand lever not overly tightened) so that it is uninvolved when the rear wheel service brakes--the ones that apply by pushing down on the pedal next to the throttle-- are being set up and adjusted? (The mechanic wouldn't normally have to adjust the cable looser unless maybe after installing new shoes?)
Couldn't the e-brake hand lever and cables be completely removed from the car when the "self-adjusting" star/ratchet wheel is used to set brake-shoe to drum clearance?

(tmontague's posts here seem to be what are useful to the original question)

Last edited by dogsridewith; 04-21-2018 at 10:39 AM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #15
WeeYari

Nutty advise where?

Yes, the ebrake should be somewhat loose but not to the point where the lever can be pulled up to its limits and not engage shoe contact with the drum. That is OPs claim.

We are talking about 2 things which, provided everything is in good working order, affect how quickly this shoe contact happens.

1. The adjustment nut at the base of the lever used to take up slack due to cables stretching over time.

2. The star wheel used to set clearance between the shoes and the drum.

It takes very little slack in cables or shoe clearance to manifest itself in significant lever travel.

It has also been well discussed how ineffective the self adjuster is on this car so talking about that is almost moot.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #16
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Rear brake star wheel and emergency brake lever adjustment

I made some addition in bold for clarification. But sometimes, because of self-adjuster not doing it's work, the e-brake handle may be WAY up-there. In which case you absolutely don't want to do ANY cable tightening until the starwheel/shoe adjustments have been completed...which is likely to bring the e-brake handle down where you want it.

Last edited by dogsridewith; 04-21-2018 at 12:24 PM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #17
tmontague

Regardless of what a Toyota tech told the OP, the e brake adjuster is only used to reduce slack from the e brake cable as stated above. This is a useless adjuster if you do not have the star adjuster set properly to determine the correct distance the show and drum are away from each other.

Setting the e brake cable adjuster before properly setting the shoes via the star adjuster is akin to setting alignment toe before adjusting camber - you will always be chasing your tail.

If your shoes are set snuggly to the drum so that it spins but not crazy freely and your e brake still goes up all the way then yes, you need to adjust the ebrake adjuster as the cable is stretched, this is very very unlikely however, the cables don't stretch that much, especially not in a DD'r
Old 04-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #18
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
I just did a rear brake job on my daughter's Yaris. Absolutely no issues with the e-brake with the shoes properly adjusted. It engages nicely after a few clicks.

I think the OP may have the adjusters turned all the way in...not out.

And I agree. Most, if not all, of the e-brake adjustment can be made at the drum...assuming everything else is functioning properly.