Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
KooKatt

Drives: Yaris 5-door Hatchback 1.5L
Yaris in Thailand needs help with suspension tuning

I use Yaris G-limited in Bangkok. The road condition here is not very good. Hence, I would like to improve the suspension without dropping the car height. I would be grateful if you can give me some suggestion.

So far, all I did is install Ultra Racing rear sway bar. Since it is not a popular tuning here in Thailand, I can only find 16mm sway bar. I know that it might not be as good as 23mm but I think it is better than none at all. Do you think it is worth upgrading to 23mm?

Another thing that I need some more input. I would like to replace OEM shock and spring. Tein and TRD Sportivo package are very popular here but I found the ride is too low. And to be honest, it is rather uncomfortable driving these setup in Thailand. Thus, I am exploring other option. One solution I think is that I will use OEM spring from Yaris S-limited which is a bit lower (10mm) and more firm than mine OEM setup with some improve shock absorber e.g. TRD sportivo or Kayaba New SR Special. Or I could just use my current OEM spring with Kayaba Excel-G.

Any opinion or suggestion are welcome and greatly appreciate.

Thank you
KooKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
What you have written above sounds good , you have obvisously
done your homework
You might want too also consider Chasis bar's
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
KooKatt

Drives: Yaris 5-door Hatchback 1.5L
Thank you. I think I will go with Yaris S-limited spring since it is only 10mm lower and does not effect warrantee on the car. However, I would like to know your opinion about Kayaba New SR Special (Japan Spec) or Excel G to team up S-limited spring. I think TRD shock absorber is not suitable for S-limted OEM spring since it has been designed to team up with TRD sportivo spring which is another 10mm lower than S-limited spring.

Also I would be grateful if anyone can tell me more about spacer to wider the wheel track on Yaris. I've heard of H&R 10mm spacer. What is the benefit and what is the downside? And where I could order to be shipped to Thailand since it is very difficult to find one here.

Thank you again.

PS. I will use all these things with OEM wheels which is 15' with 185/60 tires.
KooKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
When I installed all of the Ultra Racing chassis braces in my Yaris, ride and handling especially steering response improved dramatically with totally stock suspension, wheels and tires. You might want to look into that. When I was in Bkk last year, the prices at Autobacs seemed pretty cheap (well, compared to SRP here in Manila at least). IMHO our roads are worse here so stiffening up the chassis should help at the expense of some added harshness. The added harshness is noticeable but for me I find it bearable and worth the really solid feeling chassis.
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Tokico shocks/struts are another option for you -- very nice upgrade from stock, KYB or TRD.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote