Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
Robbie

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris YR, 5 door H
Send a message via MSN to Robbie
Question Best solution to use in the wiper spray??

Whats the best solution/make up mixture or just cleaner product.. if any, to be used for the window wiper spray in the car..

Mines just ran out and it's the first time I have had to re-fill it back up since I drove it out of the dealership 5 months ago.. and I don't know what it was they had in my wiper spray container.

Do you just use plain water with soapy dish detergent?? or a propper window wiper/spray mix?

HELP! anyone?? what do you use to re-fill it back up with.. or find best to use?

Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
Water. keep your windows clean when you regularly wash your car and then just water will be enough to keep your windows clean in between.

Any of the washer fluid chemicals end up being bad for the paint. They spray on your car and then slide up to your roof or pillars which with the alcohol in the washer fluid ends up stripping your wax and you lose protectant on the paint.
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
weedtank
I need more stars

Drives: Liftback
The dealer actually sells generic washer fluid that you can find anywhere. Doesn't matter what you use because it's just washer fluid.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
wildmongoose26

Unless you refer to my post just above yours. The cleaner in the fluid does more then just clean your windows. It also strips the wax off your paint removing the thin layer of protectant between your car and the elements. And unless your the type to wax your car often (and I dont mean the drive through car wash spray on wax) you want to do all you can to keep that on the car. Water. Or find a good mix of water and PH balanced car soap.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
AppleJacks716

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Water is a horrible substitute. If you live in a climate where its freezes it will freeze. Water has impurities and minerals in it that will cause buildups on the pump and hoses. It's a yaris not a Ferrari who cares about the paint that much. Washer fluid will not ruin paint on current cars.
AppleJacks716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJacks716 View Post
Regular tap Water is a horrible substitute. If you live in a climate where its freezes it will freeze. Water has impurities and minerals in it that will cause buildups on the pump and hoses. It's a yaris not a Ferrari who cares about the paint that much. Washer fluid will not ruin paint on current cars.

Fixed it.

I make my own RO/DI water for my saltwater reef tank(200G)...Iuse it in my radiators, washer resevoir, etc. If you have an RO/DI unit under your sink it's basically the same thing.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
AppleJacks716

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Fixed it.

I make my own RO/DI water for my saltwater reef tank(200G)...Iuse it in my radiators, washer resevoir, etc. If you have an RO/DI unit under your sink it's basically the same thing.
You probably have the only rusty yaris in California. I'm sure you have an awesome 200 gallon salt water reef aquarium but its irrelevant to this thread. You really spray salt water on your car?

OP, go to your favorite gas station and get what ever washer fluid is on sale. It will be
$2-3 a gallon. Mixing your own or using water is asking for trouble.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJacks716 View Post
You probably have the only rusty yaris in California. I'm sure you have an awesome 200 gallon salt water reef aquarium but its irrelevant to this thread. You really spray salt water on your car?

OP, go to your favorite gas station and get what ever washer fluid is on sale. It will be
$2-3 a gallon. Mixing your own or using water is asking for trouble.

Wut?

RO/DI water is pure water, removed of all trace elements. I'd wager my RO/DI water is likely more pure than the water they mix the store solutions with. The relevaency is that some households have an RO/DI unit under their kitchen sink...even if it's not as elaborate as my setup it's going to be pretty clean water, free of the troublesome elements you mentioned. That's better than using the hose, and easier than remembering to grab a bottle of the mix when you're out and about.

I wasn't flaming you...

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
wildmongoose26

I'm fairly certain that the OP does not have to worry about freezing where he comes from. And I have been running just water in my cars since I have owned them, never a single problem. keep yoru car somewhat clean and its not an issue.

Its ok little guy, we know you know everything. ::pats head::

Angela
Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
i just read that a bit of VINEGAR in the washer bottle makes things all nice...
ROCKLANDTOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Fug it, get a bottle of Rain-X washer fluid, pour it in and be done with it!

I've been using it for years in several vehicles and it always does a good job of cleaning off the windshield. And I have yet to see it strip any wax off any of them! If it can work here in southcentral Texas, where the sun dries out the wipers in a matter of a few weeks, it must be good stuff!

Cheers! M2
Old 05-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
AppleJacks716

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Wut?

RO/DI water is pure water, removed of all trace elements. I'd wager my RO/DI water is likely more pure than the water they mix the store solutions with. The relevaency is that some households have an RO/DI unit under their kitchen sink...even if it's not as elaborate as my setup it's going to be pretty clean water, free of the troublesome elements you mentioned. That's better than using the hose, and easier than remembering to grab a bottle of the mix when you're out and about.

I wasn't flaming you...
I'm sorry I read that completely wrong. I read it as you mix your own salt water for your tank and use the same salt water in your car. I couldn't believe I was reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmongoose26 View Post
I'm fairly certain that the OP does not have to worry about freezing where he comes from. And I have been running just water in my cars since I have owned them, never a single problem. keep yoru car somewhat clean and its not an issue.

Its ok little guy, we know you know everything. ::pats head::

Angela
He may not live where it gets to freezing temperatures, but a good chunk of the users on here do. Some of which don't know better and would put water in their washer fluid and not think about it freezing.