Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Hillbert

Drives: 07' Yaris
Door Wont lock and Gas Filler/Trunk release Stuck

Here in Ohio it has gotten pretty cold over the past few days. I went to fill up my gas tank only to find that the gas door lever wont move. I tried the trunk release and it wont move either. I can open the trunk using the key in the back of the car, but haven't been able to open the gas door. I've removed the handle mechanism from the floor, an both the cables are in tact. It feels more like the plastic mechanism is locked up, but its difficult to be sure.

On top of this, i just noticed that my front passenger door does not lock. When i press the lock button (either on the remote or physically inside the car) the actuator moves the lock, but then springs back to the unlocked position. I've tried physically locking the door with the key, and the same thing happens. It moves into the locked position, and then springs back to the unlocked position.

Not sure what to do here. I have some gas left, but not enough to drive to my family's house for thanksgiving so i'd like to sort this out before next week

I've tried disconnecting the battery to see if the locking issue was something with the ECU doing something funny, but yielded no results.

The car is a 2007 Sedan, automatic. Power windows and locks.

Any would be greatly appreciated!

-Hillbert
Hillbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The trunk release and gas filler release are both mechanical (no electronics are involved) and will both snap if you force them. It sounds like they are both frozen where the cable exits the sheath by the end that does the work. I would either try heating the gas filler cover (particularly on the right side) with a hair dryer (don't make it too hot or get too close to the paint) or park the car in the sun (if it exists) and try releasing it after it has sat in the sun for an hour or so.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Hillbert

Ok ill give that a shot! Im able to reach back in the trunk and find the cable that feeds into the gas door and it is able to rotate. Not sure if that is an adjustment or what.

Anything i can do to help prevent this from happening in the future?

Also any insight on the door not locking? This one has me stumped.

Also thank you for your rapid response!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbert View Post
Ok ill give that a shot! Im able to reach back in the trunk and find the cable that feeds into the gas door and it is able to rotate. Not sure if that is an adjustment or what.

Anything i can do to help prevent this from happening in the future?

Also any insight on the door not locking? This one has me stumped.

Also thank you for your rapid response!
This is what the business end of the fuel door release looks like. To prevent future freeze ups you might want to spray it with a plastic compatible lubricant (silicone based):

Fuel Door Release.jpg

For the door lock the cable between the handle and the lock is likely binding a bit or the lock is sticking. I would thaw out the lock as well and then hit it with some lock lubricant. If that doesn't solve it, then you will need to remove the inner door panel to see why the cable is binding.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Hillbert

Ok, ill give these a shot. Would this also be the case for the trunk release not moving too? Or should i track down the "business end" of that cable as well.

One thing that I just realized that i haven't checked is the trunk release inside the trunk. If that release was malfunctioning would it have any impact on the trunk release at the front of the car?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbert View Post
Ok, ill give these a shot. Would this also be the case for the trunk release not moving too? Or should i track down the "business end" of that cable as well.

One thing that I just realized that i haven't checked is the trunk release inside the trunk. If that release was malfunctioning would it have any impact on the trunk release at the front of the car?
The trunk release is likely the same scenario. The "person in the trunk" handle probably actuates the same mechanism as the front release handle does, so testing that mechanism would not be a bad idea.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Hillbert

I was able to get everything locking and unlocking, and the gas door and the trunk are working fine now!

For the trunk/Gasdoor:
I first went inside the trunk from the back seat and pulled the "person in the trunk" lever. This one operated fine. Once i tried to close the trunk though, it wouldn't latch. So i peeled back the carpeted liner in the trunk to move the lever around that actuates the latch. This clicked everything back into position and the trunk could then close. Next i went back up to the latch at the drivers seat, and noticed that the cable that feeds to the back of the car had popped out of its seat after i moved the lever in the back of the car. I placed the cable back into the slot and everything is back to normal. Gas lever and trunk release all work fine. I went and got gas immediately

For the door:

I took the door panel off first just to see what was going on in there. I disconnected the cable that move the lock mechanism, as well as the cable that works the door handle. This was just to see if possibly the plastic pieces of the handle assembly had cracked or broken, but they were moving fine without the cables attached. I reattached both the cables and moved everything manually a few times. This must have knocked something loose and allowed the door to lock finally! When I attempted to re-install the door panel though, the lock did the same thing, and wouldn't close again. I found that when re-installing the door panel, i was putting the cables on a bind (just like you said) and it was preventing it from moving. After readjusting and putting the door panel back on, everything is working properly once again.

Only thing now is that the door squeaks loudly when its locking. I'm sure its just a matter of lubrication, but i didn't see exactly where i should apply it.

Either way, Thank you so much for helping me with this, as it made the job much easier having a starting point of what to look for.