Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Well, I guess it was finally my turn now.

So last night I'm on the dangerous freeway interchange minutes away from home. A black Suburban coming from the other direction joins-up with me. Without signaling, he jumps onto my lane. I swerve to avoid him and bounce-off the K-rail. My front rim catches onto something and gets blown to shreds instantly, followed by the the rear wheel being badly damaged. I get a tow on a flat bed home. I take an even closer look this morning and noticed both front and suspension is shot to hell along with deep scratches along the door. Another flat bed comes and get it this morning for the repair shop after stake a claim with AAA. It's definitely fixable, but I'm still pissed about having to see it like this. I should've just let the bastard hit me so he couldn't get away with it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0039.jpg (60.9 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0040.jpg (37.4 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0041.jpg (65.3 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0042.jpg (34.1 KB, 221 views)

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
That sucks. Maybe you can petition the state for traffic cam footage from that section of the highway at that time?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
So last night I'm on the dangerous freeway interchange minutes away from home. A black Suburban coming from the other direction joins-up with me. Without signaling, he jumps onto my lane. I swerve to avoid him and bounce-off the K-rail. My front rim catches onto something and gets blown to shreds instantly, followed by the the rear wheel being badly damaged. I get a tow on a flat bed home. I take an even closer look this morning and noticed both front and suspension is shot to hell along with deep scratches along the door. Another flat bed comes and get it this morning for the repair shop after stake a claim with AAA. It's definitely fixable, but I'm still pissed about having to see it like this. I should've just let the bastard hit me so he couldn't get away with it...
Damn, to pull all the wheel studs like that took some serious force. Check the subframe where the lower A arm attaches, could be bent.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
SilverBack
Joey

Altitude: the law doesn't care enough about El Monte peeps to go that far for us. It's just not worth the trouble. Good idea though.

Jason: I know it's weird. you would expect just alot of scuffing on wheels, and not much else. I have a feeling I must've hit the leading edge of the rail without knowing it. I've looked in the wheel wells numerous times when I did tire rotations, and I can you something about the entire suspension just didn't look right, and off-hand I could tell the strut definitely needed a replacement. I'll know for sure what damage list looks like when the estimator gets back to me next week.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
SilverBack
Joey

Update: I just drove that same stretch of pavement in my rental and found the impact point. It was a space between two K-rails that started it. A chunk of Yaris alloy was still visible lying right next to the space. Once that came off the rest of the wheel/tire assembly disintegrated in the next 50 feet. I'm also guessing it was the same case for the real wheel, bit not as bad because the car had already slowed down at that point. A couple feet past that impact point and I would've been fine mechanically. FML.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Nooo, sorry to see/hear this. Hopefully it'll be up and running like new again soon.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
SilverBack
Joey

Well, it's now in the hands of a dealer-owned collision center linked to my insurance. Heard they can take anything smashed to pieces and turn back the clock. Saw alot of cars on the exit side that looked like nothing happened to them in the first place, so I got the right impression. Not worried, ..for now...

Old 02-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
weedtank
I need more stars

Drives: Liftback
glad that there were no injuries. that's why we have insurance!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
crap sorry to see this, dude :( But yeah at least you are OK, that is the most important! Crossing fingers the car is fixable.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
...I should've just let the bastard hit me so he couldn't get away with it...
Yeah... this is something I think a lot about only because you need to think about and prepare for this before it actually happens. I will do as much as I can to avoid getting hit but if it means I will crash and the other guy will get away scott free (even though it is his fault) then I will try to take him out with me... OTOH, if it is my fault, of course I will suck up the damage and avoid the other guy at all cost...

Sorry to hear about/see the damage. It sucks but it sounds like you came out of it okay, injury-wise.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Ok ill repeat it again, get this: http://www.minicardvr.com/blackview-car-dvr.html and be happy

Also never avoid someone coming into your lane on the highway if you do not have a clear way out. Lay on the horn and stand your ground. It might seem counter intuitive but it works. Taking a glancing hit from another moving vehicle is less damaging than hitting a stationary object. Glad your ok
totally agree with laying on the horn. People don't do it enough. Although getting a real air horn would help as well. Might get a few dumb humans to learn to drive.

But I hope your car turns out good. You should take the insurance money and use as many high performance parts as you can.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
SilverBack
Joey

I did lay on the horn hard and even flashed the high beams. The guy must've been wasted to not be able to catch any of my signals. But yeah, next time I'll just let myself get hit. And thanks for the link, PK. This is the second incident I've had around the same interchange. And since I have to use it frequently, I'll look into the recorder as I scrape together enough cash.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I now use my cell phone to record video as I drive. Got the droid razr, have 48gb of total storage on it, and shoot in 720p. Great thing was using the window mount I now have a in-dash cam, and am only out the cost of the phone and mount which I needed anyway. Shoots great quality that you can easily get the plate number, and expiration date.

Sorry about what happened. I don't know why people don't see the meteorite metallic, I've been hit 3 times.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
SilverBack
Joey

I hear that, Astro. Even though black is not as visible as silver, I guess it's still over-looked as something brighter like blue, red, white, or yellow. Just have to keep our defenses more on edge I guess. What else can you gonna do...

Anyways, I got the destroyed wheel and tire fragments in my garage thanks to a close friend who scoured the collision site on his own free will for me (much thanks to you for trying to help, if your reading this) to look at tomorrow morning. Will shoot pics in the morning after looking the parts over.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #15
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
i have a white car, now, and have been nearly run off the road a few times. color makes no difference. next upgrade for my car will be a set of hella horns.

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #16
SilverBack
Joey

^The bigger the vehicle the shorter the eyesight in my town, that's what I was getting at. Good to see at least your luck hasn't run out this time around.

Here's the latest: the repair shop called me today and said that during inspection the repair cost is gonna be $7,300, that is until they found that the firewall is damaged and the car has to be totaled out. I did some sleuthing online and figured if I can buy back the car from the insurance and get it repaired elsewhere (hopefully through insurance again), I can still keep it as a salvaged title. At the same time I don't believe the estimator's words and will need to see for myself this week if it's within the "300mm x 300mm" damage zone.

So with that said, anyone know of a reputable shop in the El Monte area that would be willing to do firewall repair? Time is not my side so I need to get on it ASAP. Any other advice would be also helpful. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Fuuuu, 7k in damages!?!?!?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Let me know if we can help with wheels, tires and any other suspension parts.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote