Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
RWey52

Drives: 2014 3-door LE
2014 Likes, Dislikes, and Questions

Hi Yarisers,

I just bought a 2014 Yaris LE, 3-door. Traded in my 2008 Yaris 3-door (manual tranny) which had 220K miles on it. Was the most maintenance free, reliable vehicle I've ever owned. The two impressive things that stood out with my dearly departed 2008 were 1) After 220K miles, there was absolutely no interior rattles and noises. Solid construction. 2) 10,000 miles on synthetic oil burned less then 1/2 qt. Never before have I seen an engine that can do this ... never.

I now hope with the new 2014 will see as good a record as my old one. On to the likes, dislikes, and questions.

While I was hesitant to take an instrument cluster back behind the wheel, after driving it a few days it's OK. I'm 6'4" and in most vehicles I can never see the speedometer because of the steering wheel (which is why I liked the center cluster in the 2008 ). I like the multi-function mileage center showing mpg, avg mpg, and what not, as well as an external temperature monitor. Way to go Toyota! The radio is very nice and does more than expected. In general the controls placement is very nice ... no issues. I also think the additional height adjustment on the seat is great. The single wiper up front is an improvement. Having two blades on a windshield of that dimension was pointless.

Dislikes ( over the old 2008 ):
  • Perhaps the biggest dislike is that the new dashboard sacrificed two of the three glove boxes I had in the 2008 model. I like to keep things stowed and now I have 1/3 the cubbies.
  • No center arm rest.
  • Elimination of the fold-out cup holders on left and right side of the dash.
  • Split fold-down seats don't really fold down all the way. The 2008 model folded them all the way flat. The 2014 requires removal of the head rests, and then they rest at about a 20 degree angle. This was a bad change.
  • Mfg'er mudguards available only for the rear wheels.

Aside from that, I'm very pleased so far. On to the questions:
  1. How long (really) should I let the automatic tranny go between flushes? The 100K+ mfg'er suggested just seems too long for me. Every 50K miles perhaps? I desperately want to squeeze 200K plus miles out of this one like I did the last. Have their auto-trannies had any issues?
  2. The center console needs insulation ... it's cold. How difficult would disassembly be?
  3. Are fog lamps available? If so, how are they wired in and what sort of cosmetically appealing switch could be installed and where?
  4. Are mudguards available for the front wheels?
  5. Is a trailer hitch available and if so, has it changed from the mounting scheme I had on my 2008? ( I haul a kayak trailer ).

All comments welcome

RW

Last edited by RWey52; 02-07-2014 at 10:29 PM.
RWey52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Congrats on your car!

I can't answer your questions, but I will comment as a fellow tall driver. I have the 2012 Yaris L 5sp manual (which, as I understand, is pretty much the same dimensions as your car). I'm also 6'4" and there is plenty of leg and headroom for me.

I've never owned a subcompact before the Yaris, but I was surprised at how many rattles this car has. I know it's made of cheap plastic, so I've just accepted it. But, it's been a simple, great car. Very comfortable, great gas mileage, and very low cost.

Enjoy!
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
RWey52

That's odd, my car never developed any rattles. Granted, it's not what I'd call a quiet car, but no rattles in mine even after 200K miles.

As for being roomy, Toyota did a very good job on creating a lot of driver/passenger space in a very small car. When I bought my 2008 I had looked at a few other sub-compacts and either my head nearly touched the top or it felt like I was sitting in coach on the Alaskan red-eye.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
RW... are you finding the 2014 quieter than the ' 08?

My 2009 is pretty loud.
Craig
Old 02-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
RWey52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
RW... are you finding the 2014 quieter than the ' 08?

My 2009 is pretty loud.
Craig
I think it actually might be ... my wife thinks so. My '08 was fairly loud but I never expected it to be quiet and I thus had no surprises. I didn't buy it or the 2014 as a luxury car, rather I bought them because they seem to have very good quality and a sensible price. I have enough money to buy an Audi R8, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend anything over $20K for something to get me from point A to point B. My life doesn't really revolve around a set of wheels anymore.

I don't have any buyer's remorse over the 2014, tho. It was just time to unload the 2008. I only wish I could get some solid answers on the automatic transmission as this is my first experience with it, and I want to make it last.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
RWey52

I did some searching for the fog lamps and it appears you can buy the OEM kits. The ones I saw said they come with wiring and switch, so I'm thinking all the instructions would be there and I'm guessing the switch probably goes in one of the 3 blanks in the center console.

Assuming this is correct, I'm guessing installation might have you (at least) partially disassemble the center console to run the wiring, and if that's the case it would probably be an opportunity to put in the aforementioned insulation the center console seems to need.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
RWey52

Update on the fog lamps.

I called the dealer parts dep't and they stated that they don't offer after market lamps, namely because when you get them with the car the switch is integrated with the main light switch. Thus, they're obviously not going to be selling a kit that requires disassembly of the dashboard ... which is understandable.

The 3rd party kits you find from a web search ( from here for example ) look OK, but they don't give a comforting amount of detailed photos or installation guides. It would be nice to see some actual pictures before buying them.

Ideas anyone ?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
The current generation Yaris is so different it's hard to believe they're the same car. Drivetrain, sure; but dash layout, controls...even to deleting that side turn-indicator lamp. It's like an entirely different COMPANY did the update. Like how Jeeps changed each time the parent company, AMC, Chrysler, Daimler, Fiat...took over.

As for the speedo behind the wheel: I sympathize, being myself up there where the air is rare. The car was not made for a large person; and I, too, liked the central speedo pod.

But there are accommodations. I mount my GPS on a clamp on the mirror bracket so it is right below it...and that's the TRUE speed, not the 5-mph-fast speed the government seems to mandate (all cars are that way these days). So I just look where I always looked, and the speed is right there for me.

Now with 22,000 miles on my 2012, it seems rattle free yet...it's early days, of course, and I baby it. It has only seen one salt-bath run, when I drove home from Florida in a snowstorm. I aim to keep it that way; it'll be the last new car I buy.

Good luck.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
2009D4d

Drives: 2014 Yaris Icon + 1.4D4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWey52 View Post
I did some searching for the fog lamps and it appears you can buy the OEM kits. The ones I saw said they come with wiring and switch, so I'm thinking all the instructions would be there and I'm guessing the switch probably goes in one of the 3 blanks in the center console.

Assuming this is correct, I'm guessing installation might have you (at least) partially disassemble the center console to run the wiring, and if that's the case it would probably be an opportunity to put in the aforementioned insulation the center console seems to need.
It appears Toyota Europe have a kit that may suit your car see here : http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads...0002_722_0.pdf
2009D4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
RWey52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009D4d View Post
It appears Toyota Europe have a kit that may suit your car see here : http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads...0002_722_0.pdf
Those look like the right shape, but holy cow ... that's quite a lot just to put in a couple lights.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:51 AM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Hi Yarisers,

I just bought a 2014 Yaris LE, 3-door. Traded in my 2008 Yaris 3-door (manual tranny) which had 220K miles on it. Was the most maintenance free, reliable vehicle I've ever owned. The two impressive things that stood out with my dearly departed 2008 were 1) After 220K miles, there was absolutely no interior rattles and noises. Solid construction. 2) 10,000 miles on synthetic oil burned less then 1/2 qt. Never before have I seen an engine that can do this ... never.

I now hope with the new 2014 will see as good a record as my old one. On to the likes, dislikes, and questions.

While I was hesitant to take an instrument cluster back behind the wheel, after driving it a few days it's OK. I'm 6'4" and in most vehicles I can never see the speedometer because of the steering wheel (which is why I liked the center cluster in the 2008 ). I like the multi-function mileage center showing mpg, avg mpg, and what not, as well as an external temperature monitor. Way to go Toyota! The radio is very nice and does more than expected. In general the controls placement is very nice ... no issues. I also think the additional height adjustment on the seat is great. The single wiper up front is an improvement. Having two blades on a windshield of that dimension was pointless.

Dislikes ( over the old 2008 ):
  • Perhaps the biggest dislike is that the new dashboard sacrificed two of the three glove boxes I had in the 2008 model. I like to keep things stowed and now I have 1/3 the cubbies.
  • No center arm rest.
  • Elimination of the fold-out cup holders on left and right side of the dash.
  • Split fold-down seats don't really fold down all the way. The 2008 model folded them all the way flat. The 2014 requires removal of the head rests, and then they rest at about a 20 degree angle. This was a bad change.
  • Mfg'er mudguards available only for the rear wheels.

Aside from that, I'm very pleased so far. On to the questions:
  1. How long (really) should I let the automatic tranny go between flushes? The 100K+ mfg'er suggested just seems too long for me. Every 50K miles perhaps? I desperately want to squeeze 200K plus miles out of this one like I did the last. Have their auto-trannies had any issues?
  2. The center console needs insulation ... it's cold. How difficult would disassembly be?
  3. Are fog lamps available? If so, how are they wired in and what sort of cosmetically appealing switch could be installed and where?
  4. Are mudguards available for the front wheels?
  5. Is a trailer hitch available and if so, has it changed from the mounting scheme I had on my 2008? ( I haul a kayak trailer ).

All comments welcome

RW
Especially agree with your first and third points on your dislike list.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:55 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
Congrats on your car!

I can't answer your questions, but I will comment as a fellow tall driver. I have the 2012 Yaris L 5sp manual (which, as I understand, is pretty much the same dimensions as your car). I'm also 6'4" and there is plenty of leg and headroom for me.

I've never owned a subcompact before the Yaris, but I was surprised at how many rattles this car has. I know it's made of cheap plastic, so I've just accepted it. But, it's been a simple, great car. Very comfortable, great gas mileage, and very low cost.

Enjoy!
The 2013 I just had for a few days didn't have any rattles. Corrected after the 2012 model year ?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I think it actually might be ... my wife thinks so. My '08 was fairly loud but I never expected it to be quiet and I thus had no surprises. I didn't buy it or the 2014 as a luxury car, rather I bought them because they seem to have very good quality and a sensible price. I have enough money to buy an Audi R8, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend anything over $20K for something to get me from point A to point B. My life doesn't really revolve around a set of wheels anymore.

I don't have any buyer's remorse over the 2014, tho. It was just time to unload the 2008. I only wish I could get some solid answers on the automatic transmission as this is my first experience with it, and I want to make it last.
I found the 2013 LE 5-door I just drove for a few days a bit quieter than my 2007 3-door.