Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
No 2012 Sedan?

I read that there won't be a sedan version of the new Yaris. If it is true, that sucks!!!!
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
There's been a lot of discussion about this. So far, no one but Toyota knows the details. If the sedan is continuing on, I don't know why Toyota would set the release so far apart from the hatch. Especially since the 2nd gen was released together (at least in America). IMO, Toyota will soon surprise us and reveal a sedan.

If Toyota were to drop the sedan, it would be one of the most illogical moves ever by an automaker. Around the world, the sedan (also named Belta and Vios) is a very big seller. In many countries, probably the bigger seller of the two. Also, Toyota has always sold a sub-compact sedan, even in the US when no one else was. Now, all major automakers sell a sub-compact, many of them a sedan in the hottest time ever for the segment. Does anyone else think it would be absurd to suddenly drop the sedan now?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Car and Driver says the sedan has been discontinued.

They said that, according to Toyota, 70% of Yarii sold were liftbacks.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
sedan IS NOT dis-continued as it will be available to rental fleets only til its makeover as per motor trend....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Kal-El

So much conflicting information ...

If the sedan does get dropped, then clearly Toyota's strategy is to sell even more Corolla's than they already do. Most of the people that bought the sedan simply do not like or want a hatch. So Toyota only offering a hatch in the segment isn't going to change these people's desire. It will be a lost Yaris customer, including myself. I think they're just counting on us to going to the Corolla instead of a competing sub-compact because we're Toyota loyalists. In many cases true, in some, a lost customer all together.

It may save Toyota money to consolidate, but it is lost again when you lose a customer. And that customer may become loyal to another brand for life.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
I'm pretty sure they'll have it again-- eventually

That said, if I were in the market for a small econ 4 sedan...there' so many new ones out there that I might just hop into a Hyundai or other small sedan like a Ford Fiesta. I would be itching to take a crack at busting those high mpg numbers!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
I'm pretty sure they'll have it again-- eventually

That said, if I were in the market for a small econ 4 sedan...there' so many new ones out there that I might just hop into a Hyundai or other small sedan like a Ford Fiesta. I would be itching to take a crack at busting those high mpg numbers!
The only subcompacts that'll be available as sedans in '12 will be the Versa, Fiesta, and SX4. Rio, Accent, Sonic (Aveo replacement) and Yaris have all moved to hatch body only.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
The only subcompacts that'll be available as sedans in '12 will be the Versa, Fiesta, and SX4. Rio, Accent, Sonic (Aveo replacement) and Yaris have all moved to hatch body only.
Have you forgotten?.....

Sonic sedan

Accent sedan

Rio sedan

Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Kal-El

This means that Toyota, the ONLY company to have always offered a sub-compact sedan (Tercel, Echo, Yaris), will become one of the only ones without one at the height of small car popularity. If this rumor is true. It would make no sense.

With this move and the fact they're carrying over an ancient engine and transmission into the '12 Yaris, it is clear that Toyota is concentrating more on cost cutting than competing with hot new products from everyone else and giving people what they want. Sad.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Have you forgotten?.....
Egads. I must've completely wiffed on that. You're 100% right.

a big

DUH

on my part!
Old 08-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
Kal-El

Another thing that came to mind that makes me go...

Look at Nissan and the Versa. For 2012, they have redesigned the sedan, while leaving the hatch the same for another year. Their reasoning was because the hatch is the majority choice in the Versa's case so they felt the sedan needed a boost. So Nissan is continuing and prioritizing the Versa sedan which didn't sell as well as the Yaris sedan, yet Yaris sedan is rumored to be done.

Go figure.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
We can only hope that it's only on hold and will come out later in the year or the next year...anything to support this?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #13
Kal-El

Searching for more confirmation, came across these articles...

Doesn't look good. Sedan is a goner.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...s-yaris-sedan/

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0110819n1.html

Old 08-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
If I have to go sedan right now my pick will be 2011-12 Hyundai elantra sick stylin and better mpg on highway too

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
More sedans than liftbacks around my town. They'd take a beating without the sedan especially in light of the rise of Hyundai/Kia who are already killing Toyota and Honda in sales this year (in Canada, where we drive small cars due to expensive fuel).

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #16
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Well perhaps this will make the sedan more sought after?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
Bernie P.

Drives: old truck
I read there's a good chance the Yaris will get a major overhaul for 2014.Perhaps they figured it would be more cost effective to hold off on the sedan until then.I hope so!
Bernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #18
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie P. View Post
I read there's a good chance the Yaris will get a major overhaul for 2014.Perhaps they figured it would be more cost effective to hold off on the sedan until then.I hope so!
That's highly unlikely as this 2012 is totally redesigned except for the drivetrain and a new one one for 2014 would make that the quickest complete auto redesign in history. Especially when the 2nd gen went 6 years.
Expect the 3rd gen to go 5 years through 2016. What has been speculated, is that Toyota has held out in putting a new drivetrain in this car so that they can put one in at a mid-cycle refresh. Maybe it will finally get at least a 5 speed auto and a more competitive power plant.