Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #19
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
WHAT LIGHT IS ON? THE "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT OR THE "MAINTENCE REQUIRED" LIGHT? THESE ARE 2 SEPERATE LIGHTS AND HAVE 2 DIFFERENT MEANINGS.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #20
b_hickman11

??????????????
Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #21
b_hickman11

So Im assuming it was the oil change reminder light that came on and not the engine light.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #22
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
A friend of my daughter filled her 2008 Yaris HB with Diesel. It of course stalled 1 mile from the gas station. Towed to Toyota stealership. They said $800 to fix it. She called me. I told the service writer Bool Sheet Thieves. I suggest to the girl that she should ask them to (1) flush out the fuel lines, empty tank, change charcoal emissions box, change spark plugs, clean O2 sensors (both of them). And they did that and the car works perfectly. That was 2 months ago. After the first week, the car was throwing P0420 codes, then after the first week and up to today, no more codes thrown. This code had to do with "low threshold flow to catalytic converter". This problem work it's way out over time. The total cost was $380.00. Hope this helps...by the way, why fill up your tank with premium....does not make any sense!
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #23
la_scanner

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
WHAT LIGHT IS ON? THE "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT OR THE "MAINTENCE REQUIRED" LIGHT? THESE ARE 2 SEPERATE LIGHTS AND HAVE 2 DIFFERENT MEANINGS.
its yellow and according to the 2006-2007 toyota yaris manual, its the one that stands for ...

MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP *1
la_scanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #24
la_scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
A friend of my daughter filled her 2008 Yaris HB with Diesel. It of course stalled 1 mile from the gas station. Towed to Toyota stealership. They said $800 to fix it. She called me. I told the service writer Bool Sheet Thieves. I suggest to the girl that she should ask them to (1) flush out the fuel lines, empty tank, change charcoal emissions box, change spark plugs, clean O2 sensors (both of them). And they did that and the car works perfectly. That was 2 months ago. After the first week, the car was throwing P0420 codes, then after the first week and up to today, no more codes thrown. This code had to do with "low threshold flow to catalytic converter". This problem work it's way out over time. The total cost was $380.00. Hope this helps...by the way, why fill up your tank with premium....does not make any sense!
a few people suggested i fill with premium after all this happened to "possibly" help flush disel. i did this once or twice

"Toyota stealership" - think i will add that to www.urbandictionary.com

also for anyone wondering what the update or status is on all this. i took to autozone to have them read the computer or do whatever but they told me they no longer due that due to a lawsuit. dont know if its for all autozones or just this one in covina,ca. told me to take to aamco. maybe i'll do that tomorrow
Old 03-28-2009, 12:37 AM   #25
la_scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wondering how some one mistakenly put diesel fuel in your car as a diesel pump nozzle wont fit a gasoline powered cars filler tube as its twice the diameter to prevent accidental diesel fillups.
If in fact diesel was somehow put in your tank i'd expect your code will be pointing to the O2 sensor which would be totally contaminated with diesel exhaust byproducts.I would think your original problem might have been a result of bad gas(water contamination) Existing plugs would only need to be cleaned,your dealer is ripping you off by charging $138 for new ones.
well i have the reciet that says $10.22 of diesel was pumped into car. it was almost 5 gallons. my dad and others have told me though that they used to do that with the sizes of nozzle. my dad thought they still did. maybe some gas stations do and dont. i would have to go to the chevron in la verne and see for myself. maybe it was forced in.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #26
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Go to the station and put the diesel nozzle in your gas filler and you will see very quickly how impossible it is to pump any diesel gas into your car,the only way i can see is if some one ran out of gas and filled it with a jerry can.
You said your sister was driving when this happened?what does she say? as the car would have started running bad almost immediately,That reciept you found may not be for a fill up of your car.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #27
la_scanner

I will update as i go. but for now. i got my code reader. of course car had to be used something. anyway, dont know if there are more errors but the first thing that popped up was code P0420

- installing pc software....
p.s - thanks for all the blunt, honest, some funny and a couple mean replys. only kidding. i'll update later
Old 03-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #28
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
1) Make sure the airbox is together properly. Shouldnt have sprayed ether in there!! This aint the sixties - yur MAF is in there. 2) I would guess that after some hard driving on the interstate the code should go away after 10 Keyon/keyoffs. U Need to burn any carbon/sulphur off the o2 sensors and the cat. Get on the highway and WAIL. BTW Dont put autolites in any car. Only OEM Denso or NGK in the tOy.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #29
la_scanner

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #30
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
1.Fried catylitic converter (from unburnt fuel sprayed into it and being heated)
2.Bad O2 -first one before cat.
3. both?

The members here who are mechanics can tell you better.

Edit: Why did you make a third thread??
Old 03-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #31
la_scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
1.Fried catylitic converter (from unburnt fuel sprayed into it and being heated)
2.Bad O2 -first one before cat.
3. both?

The members here who are mechanics can tell you better.

Edit: Why did you make a third thread??
are you talking about thread with title p0420 and the other that said P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).

if you are i guess was being impatient and was wondering if i type more info in thread then maybe more eyes will open and more clicks. i apolagize.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 AM   #32
la_scanner

heres more info..

does this help?
Attached Files
File Type: txt FIRSTYARISTESTtoupload.txt (2.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #33
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
By making more threads, you are making it more inefficient. Three different replies in three different threads will get you no where.

It's easier for the people who may know something to see what others have suggested and then work off those suggestions. Do you think people will be willing to keep jumping between the three threads just to help you?

Have some patiences, people have lives...
Old 03-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #34
la_scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
By making more threads, you are making it more inefficient. Three different replies in three different threads will get you no where.

It's easier for the people who may know something to see what others have suggested and then work off those suggestions. Do you think people will be willing to keep jumping between the three threads just to help you?

Have some patiences, people have lives...
my bad. a little excited over my new code reader.