Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
la_scanner

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
SHORTER VERSION of my first post on here for everyone that doesn't wanna read all

• diesel fuel put into car instead of reg.
  • car poops out and wont start
  • drained fuel
  • replaced spark plugs with AUTOLITE Part # XP3924
  • filled with premium
  • ether sprayed into air filter, or intake something or another
  • remaing diesel drained into a 1 gallon empty oil can
  • attach fuel line to engine. car runs
  • MAITNENCE LIGHT ON
  • TOYOTA SAYS ITS BAD SPARK PLUGS
  • LOCAL MECHANIC SAYS ITS NOT
  • THEN HE SAYS THEY ARE BAD. CHARGES $138.00
  • LIGHT OFF
  • NOW BACK ON
  • AND NOW WHAT????
la_scanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
take back to mechanic.. how the hell u put diesel in "by accident"? green handle vs black handle... you may want to contact ur auto insurance to file a comprehensive claim for this... yes, stupidity is usually covered.. sorry, i work in suto insurance claims..

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
la_scanner

real stupid indeed. was it me? no. will you believe me? no?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
always pump ur own gas

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
la_scanner

cant when ya share a couple vehicles. other then that. any ideas on if filling with disel is the issue or could it really be spark plugs? obviously toyota is going to say put toyota plugs in. but isn't a spark a spark. plus when i look up if those autolite XP3924 can be used. it seems to say they can. 2006-2007 toyota yaris.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_scanner View Post
  • diesel fuel put into car instead of reg.
  • car poops out and wont start
  • drained fuel
  • replaced spark plugs with AUTOLITE Part # XP3924
  • filled with premium
  • ether sprayed into air filter, or intake something or another
  • remaing diesel drained into a 1 gallon empty oil can
  • attach fuel line to engine. car runs
  • MAITNENCE LIGHT ON
  • TOYOTA SAYS ITS BAD SPARK PLUGS
  • LOCAL MECHANIC SAYS ITS NOT
  • THEN HE SAYS THEY ARE BAD. CHARGES $138.00
  • LIGHT OFF
  • NOW BACK ON
  • AND NOW WHAT????

Good thing it was diesel in a gas engine and not vice versa.

Now that the diesel has been drained and the plugs replaced, keep running it and keep topping it off with premium to dilute any remaining diesel in the system.

Go to an auto parts store and have them read the code causing the MIL to be on (most auto parts places will read it for no charge). You may continue to see misfires or similar codes until it's fully purged of the diesel.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
CTScott posted when I was typing but will post this any way…

What has been done has been done so let’s look past some ones fuck up.

With draining the gas there will still be some fuel left in the return system and in the tank. Mixing gas a diesel results in a higher flash point then either one by it’s self. I would think this could lead to problems in the catalytic (sp) converter and o2 sensor.

But I have a question. What are and what have the computer codes been during this time? I have a feeling that no one has look at the computer because there is nothing said about it. If the computer dose not like what is happening to the car then why not let the computer tell you what it thinks needs to be different? I’m sure the computer will give you better info then a bunch of people sitting all around the world guessing.

But just for shits and giggles…

I say you messed up the o2 sensor and possibly the catalytic converter so why are you messing with the spark plugs?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Good thing it was diesel in a gas engine and not vice versa.

Now that the diesel has been drained and the plugs replaced, keep running it and keep topping it off with premium to dilute any remaining diesel in the system.

Go to an auto parts store and have them read the code causing the MIL to be on (most auto parts places will read it for no charge). You may continue to see misfires or similar codes until it's fully purged of the diesel.
I support this message. To add to this advice, try to lay into the accelerator just a little more to use a little more than usual gas.^-^
Old 03-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
la_scanner

well. i have no idea what any of the computer read outs have been. and we have been driving car for over a month now, with no running problems what so ever. other then toyota saying wrong spark plugs, local mechanic saying otherwise. then changing mind. charges 138 to replace with toyota plugs. lights off then back on days later. originally im not the one who did initial fix. a freid of a friend did. did you read my original post?

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15300

that should explain more

as far as computer goes. i would assume toyota read it. and i would assume the local mechanic my grandmother took it to when he replaced plusgs read it too. so keep in mind it was my friend that put the autolite plugs in. car ran fine. initial drive around block a bit smoky becuase of fuel, afer that its been fine. just the damn light. since then i have not had friend do anything with car. it has not had anything to do with my, my grandma took to toyota and said spark plugs, then she decided to get our local mechanics opinion, he guaranteed her no. did somehting else and light was off, then back on. took back to him and he replaced with $17.00 a piece toyota plugs with time coming to $138.00. lights back on. so i PERSONALLY have thought whole time, nothing wrong with plugs. its the "professionals" telling us otherwise!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
la_scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyprwlf47 View Post
I support this message. To add to this advice, try to lay into the accelerator just a little more to use a little more than usual gas.^-^
even with driving this since january 30th. and when i say driving it i mean nothing feeling wierd or off at all. just the fact that light is on.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Quote:
even with driving this since january 30th. and when i say driving it i mean nothing feeling wierd or off at all. just the fact that light is on.
Go to advanced and have them clear it for you and tell you what it is.If it continues after 3 or 4 times of doing this then your problem is just going to be annoying.>.<
Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Sorry posted last one before I read the long version. Go to that area of your car that he sprayed ether and check and make sure all clips and the filter itself are tight. Also double check all gas lines to make sure that after you replaced them no air is getting in them( I have seen cars come in with nothing wrong but the gas cap being a little loose) Basically you need to make sure that everything you took apart is back together properly then have advanced clear the error code for you.^_^
Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
la_scanner

well i do recall us having a difficult time getting that filter box snapped back together. but if anything. a lot of my reason for posting here is to make sure its not the AUTOLITE Part # XP3924 plugs that would be causing the light on. im getting a lot of crap from mom and grandma saying well if your friend didn't do this and that. well shit, sorry. my sister fucked it up with gas to begin with . we did not have 1000 bucks for toyota to do what they wanted to do. so i feel my buddy and me did a pretty decent job. and for the other mechanic. alosta auto and tire in glendora. why when he did a tune up on car and dent out a rim for 301 bucks say that no no no, its not the spark plugs. i got the light off. but if it comes back on bring back and will see whats up. then he decides, okay. its the spark plugs. must put toyota spark plugs in. another $138. then light back on. ahhhhhh....so frustrated being one blamed here even though sister does this and it seems no one cares. maybe we have more then a car problem ha? :)
Old 03-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
well i do recall us having a difficult time getting that filter box snapped back together. but if anything. a lot of my reason for posting here is to make sure its not the AUTOLITE Part # XP3924 plugs that would be causing the light on. im getting a lot of crap from mom and grandma saying well if your friend didn't do this and that. well shit, sorry. my sister fucked it up with gas to begin with . we did not have 1000 bucks for toyota to do what they wanted to do. so i feel my buddy and me did a pretty decent job. and for the other mechanic. alosta auto and tire in glendora. why when he did a tune up on car and dent out a rim for 301 bucks say that no no no, its not the spark plugs. i got the light off. but if it comes back on bring back and will see whats up. then he decides, okay. its the spark plugs. must put toyota spark plugs in. another $138. then light back on. ahhhhhh....so frustrated being one blamed here even though sister does this and it seems no one cares. maybe we have more then a car problem ha? :)
It is unlikely that the plugs are causing the MIL to light up (unless there was enough diesel left to foul them as well).

Again, the best way to know, rather than speculate, is to get the code read.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #15
la_scanner

completely agree. but wouldn't you guess that the code or whatever was read by both toyota when grandma got estimate and when taken to local mechanic. i sure would. considering light was off for a while. 2 times so far. when she took for tune up and when she took back to put toyota plugs in. im so mad at myself that i did not go with her. she threw away printout from toyota and yes of course print out from the other guy!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Sure, they read and reset it, but a code can have multiple causes. Based on them knowing the original cause, they may be just assuming what the current issue is.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:15 AM   #17
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Quote:
Its more than likely that its not the plugs...Double check the filter box though.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #18
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Wondering how some one mistakenly put diesel fuel in your car as a diesel pump nozzle wont fit a gasoline powered cars filler tube as its twice the diameter to prevent accidental diesel fillups.
If in fact diesel was somehow put in your tank i'd expect your code will be pointing to the O2 sensor which would be totally contaminated with diesel exhaust byproducts.I would think your original problem might have been a result of bad gas(water contamination) Existing plugs would only need to be cleaned,your dealer is ripping you off by charging $138 for new ones.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote