Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #37
ToyotaTEch21

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
so was it a problem that they tested with one type of filter? was any info released or something substantial to make me not want to put a filter in?
I can only speculate thats why the yaris doesnt have them. The issue decribed was on the scion Tc, its possible that the yaris had the same problem but I haven't seen anything stating the yaris definetly has the same issue.

Just wondering Is it really that important to everybody that the air you breath out side the car is filtered when you are inside the car? If I get a chance I will call Toyota Technical support on monday and see if I can dig up any hard facts.
ToyotaTEch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #38
kaboom

Drives: 2007 silver yaris sedan
well, not having to dust the interior daily is what really matters to me ....
kd
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #39
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
well, not having to dust the interior daily is what really matters to me ....
kd
+10,000
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:20 PM   #40
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTEch21 View Post
I can only speculate thats why the yaris doesnt have them. The issue decribed was on the scion Tc, its possible that the yaris had the same problem but I haven't seen anything stating the yaris definetly has the same issue.

Just wondering Is it really that important to everybody that the air you breath out side the car is filtered when you are inside the car? If I get a chance I will call Toyota Technical support on monday and see if I can dig up any hard facts.
in case you missed it, were in florida, well we're as in my wife and I.
wildfires, high pollen counts all the time...plus all that circulating into the HVAC system isn't good for the motors/actuators and the blower motor....at least down here I would think it'd be bad for it...
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:32 PM   #41
blacksan

I will try it here in VA (hot summer) and report my findings. If anyone can find it for less then $25.00 please let me know!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:39 PM   #42
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Never? Then why does it have the spot for it? It was designed to have it originally but they had issues. You dont think they could have come to this conclusion before the car hit the market. Dont act like I dont know what I'm talking about with your WRONG and NEVER HAD. Fact of the matter is if the car NEVER had one they wouldn't know there were cooling issues. So how am I wrong? please explain.

+1 on above post, he gets it.
Hes's got ya there Rockland.... Never is one of those words that should not be used for the exact reason ToyotaTech shot you down
Old 05-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #43
Shroomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
I will try it here in VA (hot summer) and report my findings. If anyone can find it for less then $25.00 please let me know!
dealer near me wants 38 for it...I've got three other to call...
Old 05-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #44
ToyotaTEch21

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
in case you missed it, were in florida, well we're as in my wife and I.
wildfires, high pollen counts all the time...plus all that circulating into the HVAC system isn't good for the motors/actuators and the blower motor....at least down here I would think it'd be bad for it...
Thats good enough for me, I just get customers that think cabin filters are saving them from certain death. I think they are a nice addition, and i get paid good to change them but most of the cars you have driven in your life didnt have them so "whats the big deal now" was my thoughts. I however living in NY dont have to deal with wild fires and nasty pollen.
ToyotaTEch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #45
blacksan

We have tons of pollen here which would make the filter nice in my car.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #46
Newyaris

Drives: New Yaris (02/2007)
This is the letter I have sent to Toyota Europe!

Dear sir/madam,

I am an owner of a Toyota Yaris 1.3 5D SOL, which I bought in Greece one (1) year ago. I have paid almost 15.000 € and till now I am very satisfied with my car. Nevertheless, with this e-mail I would like to make a complaint.

A few days ago I discovered that my car is not equipped with an A/C filter (situated behind the glove compartment). That fact was not mentioned by the salesman when I bought the car and the owner's manual does not mention that the filter is extra and installed in some versions only!

Further to our telephone conversation (08/03/2007) about the lack of cabin filter, I have spoken with Toyota Hellas – Greece, as I was instructed by your Customer Service. They said me that the lack of cabin filter is normal and I could buy it. Unfortunately my dealer says that he cannot order it. Another dealer said that he found it and it costs 59€. I think that I will find a solution and I will finally manage to buy the filter.

As I am allergic and air pollution is high where I live, I consider this matter very important. It is a matter of health and comfort. I strongly believe that Toyota, the world's second car manufacturer shares the same ideas about the importance of health and comfort. It would be very kind of you to inform me officially, in order to protect my legal right's, if the lack of cabin filter in my Yaris version is a policy of Toyota Europe or Toyota Hellas – Greece. The car is shipped from France with or without the filter? Thank you in advance!

Waiting your quick response,

Second letter and response....

Dear Mrs Mboga,

Thank you for quick reply!

You have answered me officially that Yaris SOL are shiped without a filter from the factory. I have allready (without waiting for your instruction) contacted Toyota Hellas S.A. and I am waiting their responce.

I have some more questions for you.

1) Is passenger's health affected by the lack of cabin filter?
2) Why the filter is not mentioned in the extras catalog, along with the other accesories?
3) Why does Toyota sacrifises it's reputation for such a cheap accesorie?
4) Do you think that all these Yaris owner's who discovered this situation will buy again a Toyota? (It is not something obvious like the fog light's for e.x.!)

I am sorry but I am realy mad and disappointed...

Thank you very much for your time,

Ref. 1017501

Brussels 13 March 2007

Dear Mr. *********,

I contacted our technical department and they informed me that you can
install a
filter in your Yaris, I believe your Yaris is fitted with a manual A/C that
is why it has
no filter. Please note that the Yaris fitted with an automatic A/C has a
filter.
Nevertheless you can install the filter in your Yaris Part number is 87139
0D010.
But as I do not have details of your vehicle I strongly advise you to
contact your
dealer or Toyota Hellas and they will be able to assist you further.

In regard to your questions I have forwarded them to the relevant
department.

I hope this information will be of help.

Kind regards,

Yours sincerely,

In addition I had exchanged many e-mails with Toyota Greece.... I don't have time to translate them...
Old 05-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #47
blacksan

Manual AC vs Automatic AC??? What the hell is the difference???
Old 05-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #48
Newyaris

This is manual:

and this auto:

The first sends air till you freeze or you stop it... The second one sends air until the temperature reaches the prefered level, allready set by the driver...
Old 05-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #49
blacksan

Oh, I see. It looks like the more money you spend on options the better chance you have getting the filter.

The other thing I noticed about your picture was the black filter housing. Mine is white?

BTW, do you have the push button starter on your car?
Old 05-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #50
Newyaris

The filter housing is as you see it in the picture.

I don't have the Start button! That is provided with the most expensive Yaris! About 17.000 euros.... I have paid 15.000! With 2000 more I would get: Fog lamps Front, Inside door handle in silver look, 15" Alloy Wheels, Auto A/C, Keyless Entry & Start and of course a ... cabin filter...
The tragic thing is that the old Yaris/Echo had a cabin filter... The new one hasn't... Progress... Innovation... 15.000 € = 20.000$!!!!!!!!!! That is more than a year's salaries for me...
Old 05-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #51
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyaris View Post
The filter housing is as you see it in the picture.

I don't have the Start button! That is provided with the most expensive Yaris! About 17.000 euros.... I have paid 15.000! With 2000 more I would get: Fog lamps Front, Inside door handle in silver look, 15" Alloy Wheels, Auto A/C, Keyless Entry & Start and of course a ... cabin filter...
The tragic thing is that the old Yaris/Echo had a cabin filter... The new one hasn't... Progress... Innovation... 15.000 € = 20.000$!!!!!!!!!! That is more than a year's salaries for me...
I like the start button. It reminds me of the "Old School" stuff when I was a kid.

What is your profession?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #52
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
It looks like the designers got somthing wrong.The reason is because an auto would shut-off before any damage is done to the compressor,a manual could be left on as long as the key was in the ignition,as anyone left theyre's on all day?
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:52 AM   #53
Newyaris

You could make an auto A/C work all day! By setting the temperature at the lowest point on a hot day... Damage to the compressor?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:22 AM   #54
Shroomster

Quote:
Thats good enough for me, I just get customers that think cabin filters are saving them from certain death. I think they are a nice addition, and i get paid good to change them but most of the cars you have driven in your life didnt have them so "whats the big deal now" was my thoughts. I however living in NY dont have to deal with wild fires and nasty pollen.
lucky sob hehe; but yeah it never used to be a problem,least as much as I can remember about the wildfires at least....