Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #1
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Pissed with the door panels.......

Well then dynamattin to get rid of the rattles does work, but spending more money on dyanmattin the plastic door panel skin is another job.

My rear speaker plastic panels IS NOW makin the rattling noises. I know this becuz when i took off the plastic panel and played some bassy songs, obviously theres no rattles....when i attached it back and played the same songs, the rattling noise would come back again. So i know its the plastic panels.

Now i dynamatted around the speaker hole, that didnt seem to eliminate it. So i guess i have to buy more dynamat and deaden the whole pastic panel??

Then again im thinking that maybe the speaker bass is hitting the plastic panel yeah???
Old 10-15-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Same problem here - only on the left rear and only on certain bass heavy tracks. I'll get around to a fix. I'm thinking of applying that low expanding foam - the kind you use to seal around windows and doors - directly to the plastic panel.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Sucks hey......i ripped of the cotton crap of the plastic panels...i dont even think they do anything cuz they wernt stuck on tha panel just by 4 locks.....

Hmmm i guess i have to dynamat the whole thing???
Old 10-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #4
Bones

Drives: 07 Yaris S Type
Are you running an amp to the front speakers and a sub? If you are, try high pass on your front speaker
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Nope just a head unit and speakers. Gonna get an amp soon.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Drives: White Yaris Liftback 2 Dr. AT
Hasher, I'm getting a lot of rattle with my new speakers. I think I will end up rubber mounting them to the door.
W.A.S.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

even if u rubber mount them, you will still get rattles from other areas.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Bones

Drives: 07 Yaris S Type
I’m using the factory radio, Alpine four channel amp and two way Boston Acoustics speakers front 6 1/2 and 6X9 in the rear. A subwoofer is not a consideration as I don’t want to give up trunk space or the spare tire. I also installed Dynamat on the rear deck, trunk and doors.

With the crossover off front and back it sounded really good, but I had to turn up the bass on the radio to get it to sound the way I want. The trunk and the rear deck had no rattles. But the door was rattling, I tried to apply more Dynamat, didn’t work. It wasn’t the metal vibrating, more the panel vibrating.

I turned on the high pass crossover on the amp at 50hz for the front. The rear I left full ranged but turned on the bass gain for the rear. With this setting I can leave the bass on 0 or flat on the deck. Since the 6X9 can produce more bass, I was able to push the rear more than the front. Bass is omni directional so it blends in with the front sound.

This was my solution to my car and it sounds
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I got my dynamat perfessionally installed and it rattles or buzzes on the driverside in the front, it annoys me but I live with it...obviously it varies depending on the music. I listen to the passengerside and I didn't hear the same thing, it just seems the front
Old 10-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
no matter how loud i make my subs go, i could hear them two+ blocks away/ and the only thing i hear rattle is the panel of the back speakers, and the outside of the back of the car. I guess im lucky that my door panels are not vibrating... lol

And I will be dynomating it all myself this week.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:28 PM   #11
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Oh, I hate one thing though. I need to change my battery/alt because I cant max anything out. If I do, everything is shot, the voice, the lights... etc..

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix? I got a CAP that is just sitting here, would that help? Or should I also install a much stronger battery first?(question is, isnt that bad for the car to have a batteryt hats too strong for it???)
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:06 AM   #12
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
what you need is an alternator that can supply more current...
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:52 AM   #13
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
what you need is an alternator that can supply more current...

That is exactly correct....trouble is what higher amperage Alt is compatible? The CAP helps as well.

As for the rattle....maybe it is just the LB that is having the issues? My Sedan sounds really sweet. I have had a lot of compliments. Actually I have had people ask me where I have the tweets for my component setup....I am not running a component setup. I have Eclipse SE8365's in the front and SE8495's in the rear. I can hoonestly say that I have not heard a better set of speakers without spending 250 a pair. These are running on a HiFonics TXi 4406 at 75% gain to give about 40 RMS to each speaker. I have a Bazooka 10200 in the trunk running at about 90% on the gain, so around 185 RMS. The overall sound quality is crazy and even when I maxed the outputs all the way around I never get a rattle or anything like that. Like I said....maybe it is an LB thing? Running what I have can get really loud and clear as it is...if you are running more then all I have to say is "wow" cause you must be going deaf...nothing for nothing, but sometimes you can have too much volume, but that is just my opinion....and opinions are like bungholes....

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:02 AM   #14
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Get lost sedan owner. Mr. I have no rattles. :P
Old 10-16-2006, 01:03 AM   #15
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
A cap is never the answer.

Best solutions start cheap, then get expensive.

1 - Reground of existing ground wires, aka Grounding DIY or buying a kit
2 - Get a 2nd alternator (not sure if it can work with the Yaris, haven't looked into it yet)
3 - Get a high output alternator

A poorly made cap, or any cap for that matter, will pull more power. Remember that a cap is just another addition to your setup, and it will pull power.

A cap is only advantageous if you already have sufficient current supply in the first place.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 AM   #16
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
In terms of the door panels, only a ridiculous amount of sound dampening material would reduce the rattles. And you'd also have to caulk all the seams and cracks!

Best thing I could suggest is to protect all areas that have a lot of open or dead air, because those places will amplify any rattling noises.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Pissed with your door panel? Why? You know what is happening. You already know what is causing it and why...even if you don't think you do.

Stock door panel:

This stuff is sent from glue heaven:

This is a good tool to have available (even though you don't need it per se):

Now, the door deadening happens:

...and yes, that is me, you can tell by the haircut...

...Now, you'd want to think that this would be enough. Pshht!

Now, why no pictures of the door panel itself? Well, I'm sitting in Iraq right now. 'Nuff said. There's another reason as well. I'm going to be modding the panel to fit an 8.5" L8 mid bass from Hybrid Audio. The PANEL will be the mounting, not the door itself.

Why? You know the answer already. This goes to why you're experiencing rattles with your door even after you've put mat down. 95% of people use the stock mounting points for the mid range/mid bass. Think of where that is. It's behind the door panel, in the door itself. Now, having that image in your mind, think of a cross section of the door looking length-wise down the door. The mid is playing IN the door. The sound pressure is battling against the panel itself...yes, even with the "open" grill. Think of it much like a pot of boiling water. You put a lid on it, the steam still escapes from somewhere. The steam in our case is sound pressure.

Now, how do you fix this? Well, two ways. One is the more advanced (and expensive) way that I'll be employing. The other is to heavily deaden the panel AND cut that flipping stock grill off, replacing it with real grill cloth and a baffle.

I'll be employing this technique AND mounting the mid bass onto the panel. There is also another minor, but helpful, technique to help alleviate vibrations. Decouple the speaker. You may have done this with the Dynamat. Just pay attention that you do. The speaker chassis itself does indeed resonate. Kill that.

I've also got plenty of pictures of the floor pan and the trunk lid deadening. I have to wait until Christmas before I can get home to finish the back doors, the trunk, and the roof. I have a week and a half to do all that, visit two of my fallen comrades at Willamette National Cemetary, visit friends, celebrate Christmas, have a weekend with my wife, install a nice little component set, subwoofer, and amplifier in her Tacoma as well. Busy?

Thoughts? Questions?

Last edited by sqcomp; 11-08-2009 at 01:30 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #18
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Wow! That is some serious sh!t - that gray thing in your final photos, is that just foam?
Come back soon! You gotta make a thread on your car!
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote