Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #55
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I'm confused. By "header" are you talking about an exhaust manifold? I'm having a hard time picturing how an intake header would go onto a S/C.
header = exhaust manifold
Old 07-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #56
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
header = exhaust manifold
Aah, that makes much more sense. So at this point does MUSKOKA just need a mid-pipe, or does the stock mid perform well with an axleback kit? I looked at the stock tailpipe on mine this morning and wondered how anything manages to get out of it.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #57
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Aah, that makes much more sense. So at this point does MUSKOKA just need a mid-pipe, or does the stock mid perform well with an axleback kit? I looked at the stock tailpipe on mine this morning and wondered how anything manages to get out of it.
An upgraded mid-pipe is on my wish list and likely will stay there due to our smog testing unless a hi-po cat was used.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #58
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Question for you guys in Ontario with an SC fitted... DId you tell the ins company and what was the outcome?

knocking around the idea myself..
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #59
xixarchangelxix
The Unicorn

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5D HB
If you tell your insurance company, they're likely to slap "race car" on your insurance policy and charge you your left testicle.
xixarchangelxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #60
SKurj

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixarchangelxix View Post
If you tell your insurance company, they're likely to slap "race car" on your insurance policy and charge you your left testicle.
Maybe... but in the event of a claim.. if they find the SC they are likely to deny a claim too... just curious what anyone else has done. I am considering an SC but if it means insurance is difficult or next to impossible I just won't bother..
Old 07-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #61
thebarber
daily driver

oem catylitic converter and resonator are 2" thru. after the resonator, the piping shrinks to 1.75". most exhausts for the yaris are only axlebacks, so you still have a 1.75" diameter exhaust section from the back of the res to the torsion beam.

i replaced mine with fatter piping. it made a world of difference, while still retaining my oem catylitic converter...
Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #62
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKurj View Post
Question for you guys in Ontario with an SC fitted... DId you tell the ins company and what was the outcome?

knocking around the idea myself..
Sadly it is illegal to make ANY modifications to your vehicle in Ontario.
Of course any insurance company will go by the letter of the law come time to pay a claim and weasle their way out of payment. And if you inform them of your mod's they'll surely deny regular coverage and point you toward expensive, special plans. This is common with factory stock large displacement snowmobiles.
As far as roadside penalties by the police I'm sure they'd pile those charges on top of anything nasty (careless, DWI, racing, etc.) they had on you just to ensure some sort of conviction and if the officer could even identify the upgrades/illegal mod's. Slammed suspensions and gigantic fart pipes being easy pickings.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #63
thebarber
daily driver

insurance companies will only insure you for parts they know about. so you get rear ended and have jdm tails....you will likley get oem's paid for as part of the insurance. however, if some other aftermarket tail is cheaper than an oem replacement, you might be able to talk to whatever shop is fixing the car and get them to use aftermarket parts.

if you get in a collision and your aem cai gets mangled, you're pooched.

i hit a metal plate on the 401 a couple years ago. they replaced the bumper with oem, oil pan, radiator, etc. but nothing destroyed was aftermarket....

does that all make sense? (its getting late)
Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #64
SKurj

Yeah my only concern is that they would turn around in an accident even if its not my fault and say "hey you didn't tell us about this sc so for failing to disclose, we are denying your claim and blackballing you for the next 6 years..."
Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #65
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKurj View Post
Yeah my only concern is that they would turn around in an accident even if its not my fault and say "hey you didn't tell us about this sc so for failing to disclose, we are denying your claim and blackballing you for the next 6 years..."
i suggest you leave your car stock.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #66
SKurj

As much as I'd love to fit the sc, yeah between the price of it and the ins co troubles... I might ask them and see what they say, but I think I know the answer already.