Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
my little snow ball

Drives: white yaris hatch
ready for snow

just was wondering if everyone is ready for the snow that is suppose to come tonight
my little snow ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
No snow for us in Richmond, B.C., but lots of rain in the forecast!
Driving the Element more nowadays; it will be our winter vehicle.

Last edited by Benggolf2; 11-19-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Benggolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
I put snows on last week. I drive to work pretty early and temperatures below 12-8 are best handled with winter tires. Of course, when I drive home this week and it's 18 degrees the winters aren't the best, but I'd rather wear them out a little sooner and survive the morning drive which has already involved ice rain and snow several times.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Mordarvia

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
I'm wondering I live in northern ontario and have a brand new set of all seasons on my car well they came with the car. I've had the car about a month I'm wondering If I should shell out the money for snow tires? or just cross my fingers
Mordarvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
voodoo22

The best all seasons will perform about 10% worse in winter than the worst winter tires, based on all the info I've read. It's up to you whether the time and space inconvenience is worth your safety. It doesn't cost much more money, because your all seasons aren't wearing out when they aren't being used.

New all seasons are still made from a type of rubber which gets much harder than winter tires special rubber compound. New or old, all seasons will never be as safe in the winter, it's not possible.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I just got a set of Yokohama Geolandar T/I for $800 installed on my RAV4. I'm looking forward to the snow, but the forecaster don't think it'll be recap of last years.

I was set on getting the Hakapolita 5, but a friend of mine at the tire shop thought they were over priced and recommended the Geolandar.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
My 08 sedan came with Goodyear Eagle summer tires and would never get through anything resembling snow..Just installed some Ling-Long snows from China $70 each.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #8
gboezio

Drives: Yaris 4dr 2008
I have got 4 brand new studded tires that I will put on the car the 15th December.
It should grip more than enough, I work 55 km away so it's well spent money
gboezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
I just got a set of Yokohama Geolandar T/I for $800 installed on my RAV4. I'm looking forward to the snow, but the forecaster don't think it'll be recap of last years.

I was set on getting the Hakapolita 5, but a friend of mine at the tire shop thought they were over priced and recommended the Geolandar.
That's one of the sweet things about winter tires for the Yaris. They are so small that it only cost me $150 more to go from an ok rated winter tire to the highest rated Nokians and I'm glad I made that choice. These tires are by far the best winter tires I've had in all areas of performance and I see virtually no hit to fuel efficiency.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
gboezio

Drives: Yaris 4dr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
you guys realise it's a government scam the new law for winter tires. it has nothing to do with safety but everything to do with the economy. and i find it very selfish of the government to force us to have winters yet none of the transport companies, ambulances, cops , taxis and other non-private are obliged to change to winters. i drove all my past vehicles without winter tires, never had problems in winter driving. although i agree that winter tires perform better in these conditions they wont reduce the risk of accidents, in my opinion they will increase it. since all the morons on the road will be under the impression that once they have winter tires on they are invincible and the laws of physics don't apply to them, they will increase their speed (since they will feel more in control), they will reduce their following distance (since winters will save them in case of an emergency situation and because the commercial said the stopping distance is reduced by 60%) and they will weave in and out of traffic more often (because winter tires are safer). I sincerely hope this law blows up in the face of the government , so i can sue them for my wasted time/money/and nerves.
I sooo agree
I drove countless km with all season tires and bought Blizzaks and Dunlop graspic, I was not impressed but wanted to buy some sleep to my dad. Under some well defined conditions they do perform better, but on ice they suck as bad as all seasons tires, on heavy snow you'll get stuck in the same way. But two sets of tires wear half as fast, so I guess I have bought my next set of tires.

I did drove a pickup with studded tires and liked it, this is the only thing that can make a difference on ice IMO, even if won't grip like summer, it helps to keep the car straight. For stopping distances, I use my common sense to have plenty :D

The problem with this stupid law is that people will keep their winter tires on in the summer, when the road is hot they are really bad for stopping distances, they melt and slide like marshmallows.

If all fails, there those sheetmetal screws that do a heck of a good job, but sta away from that slippery dry pavement
Studded dirt bikes on ice

Last edited by gboezio; 11-09-2008 at 08:48 PM.
gboezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #11
sketch182

Drives: 2008 Silver Hatchback
The softer rubber of winter tires stops faster because it has more grip, especially at lower temperatures. The same principle is used for race car tires around the world.
Of my 3 cars, I leave all seasons on 2, but on the one that I drive everywhere, including the highway, I use winter tires. They serve me well.
sketch182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i'm using my yokohama IG20's from last year. They do not perform as i thought, and i've been told they just don't have much grip :(
I so should have bought the hankook w409 last year...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #13
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
That's one of the sweet things about winter tires for the Yaris. They are so small that it only cost me $150 more to go from an ok rated winter tire to the highest rated Nokians and I'm glad I made that choice. These tires are by far the best winter tires I've had in all areas of performance and I see virtually no hit to fuel efficiency.
Yep, the Nokian would have cost $300 more then the Yokohama. Last winter, when I got the Continental Viking for the Yaris, they were about $200 cheaper then the Nokian Snows. After putting on 40,000km on the Continental, I was happy with the tire/deal, but I think next time, I'd pay the extra for the Nokian Hakapolitta.

I've still yet to put the Yokohama Geolandar through it's pace, but it came with high praise from a reliable source, so I'm expecting good things for this tire. In the dry, the Geolandar snows are more quiet then the stock tires (also Geolandar, but all season)
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benggolf2 View Post
No snow for us in Richmond, B.C., but lots of rain in the forecast!
Drivng the Element more nowadays; it will be our winter vehicle.

Beng! That pic is 2 blocks from where I live in Steveston.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #15
06vitzRS

Drives: 06 Yaris HB
I've been running the Nokian Hakka R for the past 2 weeks. Got 680km (city) before the last gas bar started to blink. That's the best i've gotten since buying the car. They wern't kidding when they said it was a fuel efficient tire.
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+R
Old 11-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #16
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06vitzRS View Post
I've been running the Nokian Hakka R for the past 2 weeks. Got 680km (city) before the last gas bar started to blink. That's the best i've gotten since buying the car. They wern't kidding when they said it was a fuel efficient tire.
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+R
When I researched winter tires, I didn't seen one complaint from an owner of these tires. Everyone who owns them loves everything about them except for the odd person who thought they were noisy after they wore down.

Last year in the GTA was a great test for any winters and I got great mileage all winter on my Nokians. Congratulations on getting an awesome tire.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #17
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
awesome, next year, i'm buying nokia haka's..

i'm having hell of a time with the yokohama IG20's. Obviously, because they cost me 160$ shipped + 90$ install at sears and a nice 45min drive to the states for shopping. If i were to buy them in Montreal... i would have paid no less than 600$.

anyways... they are really quiet, but they are horrible in deep snow. It also seems that's all they sell at Toyota.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #18
06vitzRS

Drives: 06 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
awesome, next year, i'm buying nokia haka's..

i'm having hell of a time with the yokohama IG20's. Obviously, because they cost me 160$ shipped + 90$ install at sears and a nice 45min drive to the states for shopping. If i were to buy them in Montreal... i would have paid no less than 600$.

anyways... they are really quiet, but they are horrible in deep snow. It also seems that's all they sell at Toyota.

Nokian gives us 50% off branch cost every year so i get mine dirt cheap. $180.00 for all 4. I've run the Hakka RSI's the last 2 winters and they really shine in deep snow. Now if it would only snow around here already, i want to see how the Hakka R's compare.