Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
Carbotech 1521 vs Hawk Performance HB596F.690 for daily driver?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173896601305

VS

https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Performa...ype=automotive

I would be using brand new stock rotors.
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
I would go with the Hawk.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I haven't used the 1521's but I can vouch for carbotech's customer service as I use their xp10's and soon xp12's on the track.

I use hawk hps pads for dding and I'm not too impressed. They are fine but nothing special. I'd stick with carbotech imo
Old 05-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
bri62

Drives: WHITE YARIS
I haven't tried the hawks but did own a set of those carbos on my last yaris. I bought them because the original stock pads were too grabby and had poor modulation.
I love those pads and am thinking of swapping out the stock pads for a set on my current yaris.
They work well cool temps and have a high max temp limit.Oh, and good modulation at all temps.
Maybe the hawks will work better for your driving style.
bri62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I had the CarboTech on my first Yaris. Worked fine for a DD (mine was a non-ABS model). For my current Yaris, when the time comes, I might just stick with the R1 Concepts Geomet series rotor and pad kit.

Don't forget to flush out your brake fluid since you'll be in that area anyway. lol.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:52 AM   #6
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
FWIW

I ran carbotechs on my track car and barely got 1 weekend out of them. Which is abosurd for the $180~ i paid for them. Called them up and they of course didnt take any of the blame for a crap product and said something was wrong with my car. I switched to Porterfields and finished the year off (3 more weekends) and still had life left in them and I liked the dynamics better.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:48 AM   #7
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
FWIW

I ran carbotechs on my track car and barely got 1 weekend out of them. Which is abosurd for the $180~ i paid for them. Called them up and they of course didnt take any of the blame for a crap product and said something was wrong with my car. I switched to Porterfields and finished the year off (3 more weekends) and still had life left in them and I liked the dynamics better.
Based on the low price of $180 I'm assuming you were running a pad not rated for the track driving you were doing?

I have about 250km of track driving on my xp10 pads and they are probably around 50-60% left
Old 06-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Based on the low price of $180 I'm assuming you were running a pad not rated for the track driving you were doing?

I have about 250km of track driving on my xp10 pads and they are probably around 50-60% left
they sold me the xp10s which I believe is a track dedicated pad, but ok enough to drive to and from the track.

with that car I had a dedicated street pads with matched rotors, and then track pads with matched rotors. Basically when I have a track weekend coming up, Id usually swap the track stuff over a few days prior and bleed the brakes and then I make sure everything works on very spirited touge run (they did throw sparks which was kinda cool) then pack up and head to the track. With any NEW track pad, I go thru a multi evening, highway high speed (over 2wice the speed limit), multi-step bed in process. That car would do 120 on the main straight and throw the anchor out for a 45~ right hook. I NEEDED my brakes to work ;)

the only reason I went with them as all my other track buddies with similar sized cars swore by them. Well I dunno. I used the same calipers as with the poterfields, got new discs to dedicate to them and never looked back. Treated them to the same exact bed in procedure.

now days I dont have the same income vs cost of living delta as I used to. so I only do smaller track events or the occasional autoX

-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-96 Tercel 4dr
Old 06-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #9
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
they sold me the xp10s which I believe is a track dedicated pad, but ok enough to drive to and from the track.

with that car I had a dedicated street pads with matched rotors, and then track pads with matched rotors. Basically when I have a track weekend coming up, Id usually swap the track stuff over a few days prior and bleed the brakes and then I make sure everything works on very spirited touge run (they did throw sparks which was kinda cool) then pack up and head to the track. With any NEW track pad, I go thru a multi evening, highway high speed (over 2wice the speed limit), multi-step bed in process. That car would do 120 on the main straight and throw the anchor out for a 45~ right hook. I NEEDED my brakes to work ;)

the only reason I went with them as all my other track buddies with similar sized cars swore by them. Well I dunno. I used the same calipers as with the poterfields, got new discs to dedicate to them and never looked back. Treated them to the same exact bed in procedure.

now days I dont have the same income vs cost of living delta as I used to. so I only do smaller track events or the occasional autoX
hmm, this is interesting feedback as your set up is virtually identical to mine. I use xp10's with dedicated rotors that I swap on and off prior to track day. The only real difference is how I bed my pads in. I sort of skipped Carbotech's procedure and did a similar version that Hawk recommends (due to the CT procedure not being realistic for me on the street). This involved doing a bunch (10 or so) of fast slow downs from about 70km/h to 20km/h and then once that was completed I did about 5 full stops from 90km/h to zero.

Eventually I could smell the brake pads and I could feel the friction increase. Drove it back home using minimal brakes and parked it for the night before I went to the track the next day. The only issue I have had with the xp10's is a slight crumbling on the edges of the pad and what appears to be surface cracks. I emailed CT and they explained that I am likely exceeding the temps of the pads and to increase to xp12 which I will be trying once my 10's wear out.

My local track is similar to your situation just slightly less speed it seems. It involves about 150km/h into a sharp 75 degree corner where I scrub down to about 100km/h within a short braking zone. There is another one of these right after and then a handful of slightly lower speed but really hard braking zones. It is a track that isn't easy on brakes typically.

Thanks for your heads up, it's good to know
Old 06-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #10
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post

Thanks for your heads up, it's good to know
It very well could of been anomaly.

So with new track pads Ill usually do like 4-6 moderate stops from 60mph to like 10, then i do another set progressively harder...maybe take it up to around 70-80mph. Take it easy for a few miles then start the high speed stuff. 2-3 HARD stops from north of 100mph.

Luckily not too far away from where I used to live is a divided expressway thats pretty quiet late at night with no cops so I can get away with this without noone near me.

Street pads I do the same process minus the latter, triple digit stuff.

The car was a turbo tercel that weighed 2080 with me in it on NT01 tires.

It wasnt too fast, i ran similar times to midpack Spec Miatas on Summit Main and would easily hand gt86s their ass. Pretty much all I cared about haha

-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-96 Tercel 4dr