Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
doxology

Drives: Pontiac Vibe
Scion xD

It seems like reading online that a lot of people do engine swaps on the Yaris and install the 2ZR-FE engine which is already available in the Scion xD. It seems like the xD is also the same platform as the Yaris. Why is this engine swap so popular when you can just get an xD with the engine in it already? It looks to be nearly identical in dimensions. The xD is just barely longer and wider. We are talking like an inch or less based on what I saw on wikipedia. It does seem like the xD is like 300 pounds heavier, but does that still make that much of a difference? It is still only 2,600 pounds. Was just curious after researching both cars. I have a 2008 Pontiac Vibe, which is a rebadged Toyota Matrix and it seems like the next step would be an xD or Yaris when I upgrade.
doxology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
I definitely prefer the style of the yaris over the xD
Old 06-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
For me it was the challenge, as well as the relative cost. Finding a used MT xD with reasonable mileage for less than the cost of the parts to do the swap just wasn't gonna happen. With the comparatively low HP of the engine overall, that 300 lbs does make a difference. The larger wheels and hubs of the xD increase the unsprung weight, decreasing the potential performance. Also, the xD was never available in a 3-door and I prefer the larger openings to that of a 5-door. It even gives you the option to make a 7/8ths scale Corolla if you do it to a sedan. =)

The other side of it was the (highly unlikely) opportunity to home brew a GRMN Yaris by scavenging a Lotus 2ZR supercharger and taking it to a whole new level of absurdity.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #4
doxology

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
For me it was the challenge, as well as the relative cost. Finding a used MT xD with reasonable mileage for less than the cost of the parts to do the swap just wasn't gonna happen. With the comparatively low HP of the engine overall, that 300 lbs does make a difference. The larger wheels and hubs of the xD increase the unsprung weight, decreasing the potential performance. Also, the xD was never available in a 3-door and I prefer the larger openings to that of a 5-door. It even gives you the option to make a 7/8ths scale Corolla if you do it to a sedan. =)

The other side of it was the (highly unlikely) opportunity to home brew a GRMN Yaris by scavenging a Lotus 2ZR supercharger and taking it to a whole new level of absurdity.

Yeah the GRMN Yaris is rad. I like looking for the obscure. I want a small car that can be at least kind of sorta fast and fun to drive day to day, but really want to keep the reliability of being a Toyota. Engine wise couldn't you make the GRMN in the xD?

I live in Idaho and Yaris prices seem absurd for anything half new and I can't stand the center gauge cluster of early xD's or of the early Yaris. I never see a recent Yaris in 3 door variety and the 5 door are always much more expensive than what I want to pay yet the xD's here seem much better priced for some reason.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxology View Post
It seems like reading online that a lot of people do engine swaps on the Yaris and install the 2ZR-FE engine which is already available in the Scion xD. It seems like the xD is also the same platform as the Yaris. Why is this engine swap so popular when you can just get an xD with the engine in it already? It looks to be nearly identical in dimensions. The xD is just barely longer and wider. We are talking like an inch or less based on what I saw on wikipedia. It does seem like the xD is like 300 pounds heavier, but does that still make that much of a difference? It is still only 2,600 pounds. Was just curious after researching both cars. I have a 2008 Pontiac Vibe, which is a rebadged Toyota Matrix and it seems like the next step would be an xD or Yaris when I upgrade.
The xD is much more boxy and therefore not as aerodynamic (although I've never seen the drag coefficient posted anywhere). The extra 300 lbs is a huge difference as Cranky said. I ran the numbers a while back and removing 100lbs or so from the Yaris is a rough equivalent of adding 100 hp. Weight is a larger factor in lighter lower powered cars. You can make a car faster by adding power but you will not make it quicker (quicker meaning handling and transitioning corners). The xD is also a relatively rare car up here in the North so there is less available in the used market. I also don't really like the look of them.

In all reality most of us have the Yaris not because we chose it for a performance vehicle, but because we purchased it for its reliability relatively low price for the buy in and the maintenance. They are also fairly popular so a lot are available to buy used. I can only speak for myself but I originally had no performance plans when I purchased my used Yaris 5-6 year ago. I stuck with it because it was cheaper than to sell and buy something like a Honda. I also was able to modify the car as I could afford to here and there.

I now am happy I stuck with it because it is unique and original and o one ever suspects a quick Yaris at the track. But in all honesty there is so much more available in the aftermarket for a car like the Civic that it would make more sense. The Yaris doesn't even have an aftermarket tune ability without going with a whole different standalone ecu.

The challenge and accomplishment of the engine swap is also exhilarating vs selling your Yaris for an xD which won't feel as fast due to the extra weight. I can tell you that having a semi stripped out 2230lbs Yaris that is much faster than a Corolla (often mistaken for one at the track) is a blast. I bet very few of us who did the swap did so purely out of a performance reason. Many of us did it mainly for the challenge with the added benefit of something rare, different and faster
Old 06-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #6
doxology

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The xD is much more boxy and therefore not as aerodynamic (although I've never seen the drag coefficient posted anywhere). The extra 300 lbs is a huge difference as Cranky said. I ran the numbers a while back and removing 100lbs or so from the Yaris is a rough equivalent of adding 100 hp. Weight is a larger factor in lighter lower powered cars. You can make a car faster by adding power but you will not make it quicker (quicker meaning handling and transitioning corners). The xD is also a relatively rare car up here in the North so there is less available in the used market. I also don't really like the look of them.

In all reality most of us have the Yaris not because we chose it for a performance vehicle, but because we purchased it for its reliability relatively low price for the buy in and the maintenance. They are also fairly popular so a lot are available to buy used. I can only speak for myself but I originally had no performance plans when I purchased my used Yaris 5-6 year ago. I stuck with it because it was cheaper than to sell and buy something like a Honda. I also was able to modify the car as I could afford to here and there.

I now am happy I stuck with it because it is unique and original and o one ever suspects a quick Yaris at the track. But in all honesty there is so much more available in the aftermarket for a car like the Civic that it would make more sense. The Yaris doesn't even have an aftermarket tune ability without going with a whole different standalone ecu.

The challenge and accomplishment of the engine swap is also exhilarating vs selling your Yaris for an xD which won't feel as fast due to the extra weight. I can tell you that having a semi stripped out 2230lbs Yaris that is much faster than a Corolla (often mistaken for one at the track) is a blast. I bet very few of us who did the swap did so purely out of a performance reason. Many of us did it mainly for the challenge with the added benefit of something rare, different and faster
Yeah I bought my pontiac Vibe because of it being a Toyota and reliable. I love the car honestly. Wish it was a tad faster. It is getting old enough and with enough miles at 135,000 now that I am trying to weight getting out of it while it has a little value or spend the money I need to for tip top use.

It has always had a few quirks since I bought it a few years back. At lower speeds the RPM's will sometimes just drop. You can feel it when you drive and see them drop and come back up on the gauge, and then sometimes when you need to punch it on the freeway it won't give you anything hardly at all and other times you might go up a hill and everything is fine and then the rpm's jump and you think the card is going to explode or something because it is pushing the engine so hard. But those things only happen once in a while.

So torn between investing money in a car from 2008 with some issues or investing elsewhere in a car like a Yaris that could be a fun adventure over time to miss with add power here and there until full on GRMN, I wish... Plus get better gas mileage.

Really do love the Vibe/Matrix it has those quirks but in the 5+ years I have had it have only had maybe $300 on maintenance, but getting to the point where besides some engine stuff need to start look at the 100,000 - 150,000 mile maintenance stuff , and it needs new struts, tires, etc.

I can't stand honda's . Feel like I have to dislocate a shoulder to just put on a seat belt.

Love the headroom of my Vibe/Matrix as I don't ever hit my head or have to duck to get in and have been told the Yaris is similar. My mom bought a 2018 Landcruiser and I even bumped my head getting into that. I'm only 6' tall.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxology View Post
Yeah I bought my pontiac Vibe because of it being a Toyota and reliable. I love the car honestly. Wish it was a tad faster. It is getting old enough and with enough miles at 135,000 now that I am trying to weight getting out of it while it has a little value or spend the money I need to for tip top use.

It has always had a few quirks since I bought it a few years back. At lower speeds the RPM's will sometimes just drop. You can feel it when you drive and see them drop and come back up on the gauge, and then sometimes when you need to punch it on the freeway it won't give you anything hardly at all and other times you might go up a hill and everything is fine and then the rpm's jump and you think the card is going to explode or something because it is pushing the engine so hard. But those things only happen once in a while.

So torn between investing money in a car from 2008 with some issues or investing elsewhere in a car like a Yaris that could be a fun adventure over time to miss with add power here and there until full on GRMN, I wish... Plus get better gas mileage.

Really do love the Vibe/Matrix it has those quirks but in the 5+ years I have had it have only had maybe $300 on maintenance, but getting to the point where besides some engine stuff need to start look at the 100,000 - 150,000 mile maintenance stuff , and it needs new struts, tires, etc.

I can't stand honda's . Feel like I have to dislocate a shoulder to just put on a seat belt.

Love the headroom of my Vibe/Matrix as I don't ever hit my head or have to duck to get in and have been told the Yaris is similar. My mom bought a 2018 Landcruiser and I even bumped my head getting into that. I'm only 6' tall.
Just for peace of mind, we have a 2005 vibe with 260k miles on it and it's mostly been basic maintenance.

I had to replace the starter recently and the e-fan, but all other major issues were covered by service campaigns.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
lani100

Drives: Yaris T sport TRD turbo
In Europe we got the Yaris SR/TS with the 1.8, the rest of the world also wants that but you'd have to build it yourself
Old 06-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #9
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Just for peace of mind, we have a 2005 vibe with 260k miles on it and it's mostly been basic maintenance.
With that many miles I think I would keep driving it just for bragging rights!

It's cool you have a Matrix/Vibe and a Yaris, they are like siblings. :)
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #10
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
With that many miles I think I would keep driving it just for bragging rights!

It's cool you have a Matrix/Vibe and a Yaris, they are like siblings. :)
I intend to drive it until it stops, then put in another motor and continue.

Probably going to pickup another 1ZZ sometime in the next year or 2 and decide if I want to just do a stock rebuild or go a little crazy.