Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #37
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Check the lower mounting bolt on rear shocks. Mine loosened once creating a clunking sound over bumps. Took me a while to isolate the cause of noise since visually they appeared to be tight.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #38
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Check the lower mounting bolt on rear shocks. Mine loosened once creating a clunking sound over bumps. Took me a while to isolate the cause of noise since visually they appeared to be tight.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
This happened to me as well.

Also check your endlinks. I've hand a handful go bad on all my cars and I can never make them clunk unless I'm driving the car
Old 12-17-2018, 02:39 AM   #39
rayfloyd170

Drives: Yaris 2016 1.3 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
The LCA bolts are not greased from the factory so you did not wash away any grease from them since there was none to begin with. However you may have washed grease away from some other components especially since you used kerosene. (why?) I would start with the front disc pads. Perhaps the grease on the back plate was washed away and they are rattling.
thanks for your reply. will do it, i will drop by a shop later and try to check the front brakes.... actually my car is still under warranty as it is 2 yrs & 10months old..

BTW i went to toyota showroom and asked them about this and it is very funny they are not selling the LCA bolts... they said i need to look for it.. too bad..
i guess customer service here isnt up to the mark.
rayfloyd170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #40
yarisito

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Check this out. I am in Baja, Mexico. 2009 Yaris hatchback. I am reading this thread and I have already had 3 different indy mechanics inspect and none found any bushings, end links, tie rod end (whatever they are called) to be worn out.

It does not snow here. I have already replaced the upper strut mounts and recently the sway bar bushings as some mechanics suspected that may be the problem but unfortunately it was not. So I am going to replace the LCA bolt next. Ill report back.
yarisito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #41
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I had to replace my front swaybar end links for this very same reason. cheap fix and not too much of a pain to do, but man did it drive me nuts till I got it done.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #42
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
try looking at the bushing on your control arms / bushings
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:00 AM   #43
rayfloyd170

FIXED MY PROBLEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfloyd170 View Post
thanks for your reply. will do it, i will drop by a shop later and try to check the front brakes.... actually my car is still under warranty as it is 2 yrs & 10months old..

BTW i went to toyota showroom and asked them about this and it is very funny they are not selling the LCA bolts... they said i need to look for it.. too bad..
i guess customer service here isnt up to the mark.

I went to a car mechanic and the he drove the car while i was instructing him on when i normally hear and to further explain him about the unusual clunking sound. He then checked the LCA bolts and bushing of the control arms and others... He sprayed lubricant (i think lithium based spray) to the bushing area where the bolts are located... We tested it after application of the lubricant but the minor clunking sound is persistently still there. He told me to purchase the bushings and he will install it afterwards since he suspect they are worn out and common for yaris..

Blessing in disguise, i went to the shops looking for the bushing and they were all closed for prayer time in KSA... I immediately went home and after lunch decided to have a car wash including the under chassis before going back to the mehanic. Ive instructed the guy to wash out the undercarriage properly then i saw some " sandy-materials sticking at the white lithium based grease" which was sprayed to the bushings... I specifically informed the car washing-guy to remove all the grease as i believe the bushing doesnt need to be greased.. Doing so, he removed all the sandy materials together with the sprayed lithium grease.

Alas,after the car wash when i drive my car, it was completely very silent and no more clunking sound...

In a desert area " sandy, dusty, dry weather" this led me to conclude that it was definitely the dust/sand and good thing i did not have to spend extra bucks replacing the good original bushings in my yaris...

The high pressure water washer definitely did the job... :)

Thank you.

Last edited by rayfloyd170; 12-30-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:07 PM   #44
Type-Y

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfloyd170 View Post
I went to a car mechanic and the he drove the car while i was instructing him on when i normally hear and to further explain him about the unusual clunking sound. He then checked the LCA bolts and bushing of the control arms and others... He sprayed lubricant (i think lithium based spray) to the bushing area where the bolts are located... We tested it after application of the lubricant but the minor clunking sound is persistently still there. He told me to purchase the bushings and he will install it afterwards since he suspect they are worn out and common for yaris..

Blessing in disguise, i went to the shops looking for the bushing and they were all closed for prayer time in KSA... I immediately went home and after lunch decided to have a car wash including the under chassis before going back to the mehanic. Ive instructed the guy to wash out the undercarriage properly then i saw some " sandy-materials sticking at the white lithium based grease" which was sprayed to the bushings... I specifically informed the car washing-guy to remove all the grease as i believe the bushing doesnt need to be greased.. Doing so, he removed all the sandy materials together with the sprayed lithium grease.

Alas,after the car wash when i drive my car, it was completely very silent and no more clunking sound...

In a desert area " sandy, dusty, dry weather" this led me to conclude that it was definitely the dust/sand and good thing i did not have to spend extra bucks replacing the good original bushings in my yaris...

The high pressure water washer definitely did the job... :)

Thank you.
That's great. Is all still silent?
Type-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #45
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Hard to see how sandy grease could make a clunking sound.
Or how grease/oil would stop a clunk except maybe grease would for a short time.
Maybe the power wash forced sandy grease into the worn joint?

Last edited by dogsridewith; 01-05-2019 at 10:24 AM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:59 AM   #46
rayfloyd170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Y View Post
That's great. Is all still silent?

Yes, as of now after 1 week of removing that grease-sand from the ball-joint and bushings with high pressure water wash, my car is still very silent...

I was hoping it will stay like this since my car is new at about 70K KM and i really took care of it...
Old 01-06-2019, 02:04 AM   #47
rayfloyd170

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Hard to see how sandy grease could make a clunking sound.
Or how grease/oil would stop a clunk except maybe grease would for a short time.
Maybe the power wash forced sandy grease into the worn joint?

i couldnt fully tell if it is clunking sound, it is generally unpleasant to hear especially when running really slow when you decelerate below 20K/hr and when you run on humps.. BTW i hear that sound on the driver side only. it could be a little clunking sound or creaking sound, i dunno, i just dont like the sound of it.. it is not a loud sound either, you cannot hear it when you run past 20Km/hr but when you hear it you can feel you are driving an old car... sounds like metal to metal rubbing each other or a suspension something that is creating the sound. You cannot replicate the sound while car is idle but only when running.

note: joints are all good when checked... looks very new...

Glad that unpleasant sound is gone now..
Old 01-06-2019, 06:53 AM   #48
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Corrosion Block green mystery spray from Florida snake oil?

A creak is not a clunk.
I got rid of what I think was at least one rubber bushing creak with the first of now 2/year (@ summer-winter wheel changes.) squirt-arounds w/ green Corrosion Block--targets are seams, fasteners and suspension rubbers and bushings. (Considering this experimental...not a recommendation.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #49
GrayYaris

Drives: Gray
I had a similar sound when driving on dirt roads or over bumps. It sounded like a creaking from the rear suspension. Luckily for me it was just the heat shield above the exhaust rattling around.
GrayYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:47 PM   #50
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Had clunking in the front of my '08. Replaced the passenger side end link today. All tight and silent again. I normally do these in pairs, but the driver's side was still tight when check out off the car.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote